The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-12-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christens View Post
I might be confused here, but it looks as if the 2016 model year of the ES-335 studio does come with full controls:

End of discussion - I'll take a gingerburst, please...
Old 12-29-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
If you find a Studio you like it would actually be quite easy to drill a couple of holes for 4-pot wiring. The F-hole surgery bit isn't that hard either if you know the routine.
Hello! Glad to have found your forum. That's exactly my plan.

I lucked out and snagged a 2014 Gingerburst ES-335 Studio on ebay for less than $800. Turned out that the existing bridge on that guitar was incorrect, so I had it replaced with the correct 12" radius old style Gibson ABR-1 bridge. Since the guitar was otherwise perfect, I added some titanium saddles (Allparts 45208 00482), installed an Allparts 5-ply short ES-335 pickguard with chrome Gibson ES-335 bracket, replaced the existing corian nut with bone nut from AxeMasters and bought a "VINTAGE UPGRADED ES-335 PRE-WIRED HARNESS" from Atlantic Custom Guitars on ebay (harness came with 500k CTS pots [audio/linear for volume/tone], switchcraft switch and jack, Sprague 200v .022mf orange drop capacitors and Gavitt Braided Wire) that my local luthier will install by drilling two extra holes under the bottom f-hole sometime next week. All of these upgrades, not counting the titanium saddles (a small extra) cost about $150.

So, since I don't work on guitars myself, after my luthier is paid, I will have a very nice, versatile near new ES-335 that looks great for about $1,250. I won't have white binding, inlaid logos on the headstock, or blocks on the neck -- not a big deal. Even so, the guitar sounds fantastic now, as is, before adding separate tone and volume controls for each pickup. As far as I can tell, Gibson only started offering the ES-335 Studio with full tone and volume controls in 2016.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:39 PM

If you can, please post pics of your NG. It sounds like a nice purchase.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:30 AM
Guitar Gourmet

"Horses for courses." Enjoy your guitar!!!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-25-2017, 06:31 PM

Sure, would love to post some pic.'s but don't see how. The photos are on my computer but I can't link to them for this site. The forum wants a URL "http://" address that I don't have. If some one can, shoot me an email here [email protected], and either explain how to do this or post them for me. Thanks.

Also, per advice on this forum and others, I added an RS GuitarWorks xLight Aluminum/Nickel tailpiece, Tone Pro Locking Studs, SNS1-NKL, and Grover 502C RotoGrip Locking Tuners. Guitar sounds great. The 2014 Studio does have binding, but the binding is black that seems to have been scraped on the neck and not scraped around the body. There is no inlay on the headstock -- so I added a gold Gibson Crown waterslide to complete the look. The whole thing, including the labor I didn't do -- install the vintage wiring harness, drill holes and install the nut -- was less than $1,500.00.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tump335 View Post
Sure, would love to post some pic.'s but don't see how. The photos are on my computer but I can't link to them for this site. The forum wants a URL "http://" address that I don't have. If some one can, shoot me an email here [email protected], and either explain how to do this or post them for me. Thanks.

Also, per advice on this forum and others, I added an RS GuitarWorks xLight Aluminum/Nickel tailpiece, Tone Pro Locking Studs, SNS1-NKL, and Grover 502C RotoGrip Locking Tuners. Guitar sounds great. The 2014 Studio does have binding, but the binding is black that seems to have been scraped on the neck and not scraped around the body. There is no inlay on the headstock -- so I added a gold Gibson Crown waterslide to complete the look. The whole thing, including the labor I didn't do -- install the vintage wiring harness, drill holes and install the nut -- was less than $1,500.00.
congrats. The key differences are pups, neck wood-mahog vs maple, and fret board- baked maple vs rosewood. I have played great examples of both. you have a great guitar. enjoy
Old 12-31-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tump335 View Post
Hello! Glad to have found your forum. That's exactly my plan.

I lucked out and snagged a 2014 Gingerburst ES-335 Studio on ebay for less than $800. Turned out that the existing bridge on that guitar was incorrect, so I had it replaced with the correct 12" radius old style Gibson ABR-1 bridge. Since the guitar was otherwise perfect, I added some titanium saddles (Allparts 45208 00482), installed an Allparts 5-ply short ES-335 pickguard with chrome Gibson ES-335 bracket, replaced the existing corian nut with bone nut from AxeMasters and bought a "VINTAGE UPGRADED ES-335 PRE-WIRED HARNESS" from Atlantic Custom Guitars on ebay (harness came with 500k CTS pots [audio/linear for volume/tone], switchcraft switch and jack, Sprague 200v .022mf orange drop capacitors and Gavitt Braided Wire) that my local luthier will install by drilling two extra holes under the bottom f-hole sometime next week. All of these upgrades, not counting the titanium saddles (a small extra) cost about $150.

So, since I don't work on guitars myself, after my luthier is paid, I will have a very nice, versatile near new ES-335 that looks great for about $1,250. I won't have white binding, inlaid logos on the headstock, or blocks on the neck -- not a big deal. Even so, the guitar sounds fantastic now, as is, before adding separate tone and volume controls for each pickup. As far as I can tell, Gibson only started offering the ES-335 Studio with full tone and volume controls in 2016.
Finally got around to taking some pictures of the finished 'Studio' ES-335, besides the above I added Grover 502C locking tuners, Tone Pro SNS 1-N locking Studs, an RS Guitars forged light weight tail piece, a gold Gibson Headstock Crown waterslide Logo and Hipshot Pearloid A04 Tuner Buttons for that 'vintage' look. All additions were in nickel finish and made specifically for the ES-335. Since I can't figure out how to post the pictures without a separate web site/server, which I don't have, I'll ask another member to post them.

Last edited by Tump335; 12-31-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:31 PM

I have a couple of Gibson ES-335's an 3 Gibson LP Standards.

If it were between a 335 Studio and a Gibson Standard, I take the LP Standard easily.

If it was between a regular 335 and a Standard for the same price, I take the 335 for sure.

Just my take.
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 01-01-2018, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Default ES-335

Sent you a PM
2014 American Standard Telecaster (Maple Board)Mystic Blue
2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster (Rosewood Board)
1994 Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster Caribbean Mist
2011 Martin JC-16RE 50TH Anniversary
2004 Martin J-15
2011 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Red
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 01-01-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaineIsCarter View Post
I'm considering springing for a 335 as my sole electric, and am moving on a LP Studio and a USA Strat to put towards it.

The 335 Studio is less than half the price of the full fat standard. Has anyone any experience with the Studio?

The price is very appealing but I'm worried I'll always be jonesing for the Standard..

There is no 'Standard'. There are 335s, Dot reissues, custom shop, etc.

For anyone reading this old thread who might be thinking of a 335, CME is having a big sale on floor models right now and they have some great deals on 335s.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:24 PM

A Heritage 535 is another option I would consider, still made in the historic 225 Parsons Street location in Kalamazoo.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:43 PM

It's too bad you don't live on this side of the pond. You could spend a few $$ and travel to Chicago to visit CME... They always have a good selection of used 335's.

The one thing about Gibson is their reputation for consistent inconsistency. You could find a studio model that is a gem and a standard that is a dog. As your SOLE electric I wouldn't try to talk you out of a Gibson 335. Personally I'd rather have an Epiphone 335 model over the Gibson Studio, but that's me. But there are a couple other 335 models that (IMO) opinion put Gibsons to shame. The Heritage is the brand that took over the Gibson factory in Kalamazoo. While I don't like the shape of their headstocks, their instruments (IMO) are superior to Gibson. Collings is another brand that produces outstanding 335's. I have a friend who owns both The Heritage LP and a 335 and while I don't have a Gibson 335, The Heritage LP model puts my Gibson Standard to shame.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars