The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-29-2014, 06:59 PM

Here you go Dru! You want one-watters included...........This was my impulse Christmas buy for myself. Really wanted a LOW wattage amp for home use when I want to create some "raunch and roll", down-home, Neil Young meets Angus Young sounds without blowing out windows. This little beast does that very well at a volume that bothers no one! Really cool thing is that is that it does everything from very clean thru crunch to downright distortion very well. 1 watt of output from a 12ax7 preamp tube and a 12au7 for power using both triodes in a push/pull format that makes this amp sound deceptively big! Oh, it is a Blackstar HT1R. Has pretty darn nice digital reverb to boot. Sounds like the Spring setting on my Hall of Fame pedal. The Blackstar sits atop my main amp. A Custom Ben Fargen designed/built 1960 AC15.....KILLER amp!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-29-2014, 07:14 PM

Here's the list of amps I've got in my stable:

'64 Fender Vibroverb PTP Repro w/Torres Gain Mod
'65 Fender Blonde Twin Reverb (Conversion)
'66 Fender Pro Reverb
'66 Fender Princeton Reverb
'72 Fender Deluxe Reverb (65' Blackfaced)
'73 Fender SF Deluxe Reverb
'73 Fender Vibro Champ (Red Piggyback )
'75 Fender Champ
'76 Fender Vibrolux Reverb
'84 Boogie MKIIC+ 60 watt combo
'84 Boogie MKIIC+ Simul-Class loaded
Bubinga/Wicker combo
'86 Boogie MKIII Simul-Class loaded
Red Stripe combo
'06 Sewell Texaverb 100 Head & 2x12 cab
'07 Sewell Texaverb 25 load w/ G12H30
'08 Brown Note D'Lite 44 "ODE" Head
'10 Hermida 1x12 openback G12H-30 loaded

Solid State Amps:
'85 Gallien - Krueger ML 250
'86 Gallien - Krueger Ml 250
'88 Gallien - Krueger Backline 100

Bass Amps:
'08 Roland Cube 100 combo

This is the favorite amp in my collection:

'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 01-02-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
Here you go Dru! You want one-watters included...........This was my impulse Christmas buy for myself. Really wanted a LOW wattage amp for home use when I want to create some "raunch and roll", down-home, Neil Young meets Angus Young sounds without blowing out windows. This little beast does that very well at a volume that bothers no one! Really cool thing is that is that it does everything from very clean thru crunch to downright distortion very well. 1 watt of output from a 12ax7 preamp tube and a 12au7 for power using both triodes in a push/pull format that makes this amp sound deceptively big! Oh, it is a Blackstar HT1R. Has pretty darn nice digital reverb to boot. Sounds like the Spring setting on my Hall of Fame pedal. The Blackstar sits atop my main amp. A Custom Ben Fargen designed/built 1960 AC15.....KILLER amp!

[IMG][/IMG]

<<snippet pic>>
Russ, thanks for the info on the Blackstar HT1. I've been doing a lot of research on a 1 watters and the HT1 was at the top of the list, along with the VHT Ultra Special (which is actually 6 watts). We have no local dealers so I can't try them out.

Have you tried it with OD pedals in front with the amp's gain turned up? I had read that the HT1 has its own pedal circuit built in and that external pedals may not sound as nice as other amps? (I may be confusing this with the HT-5).
Old 01-02-2015, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

I know that tube amps are said to be all that and more; but for living room rockers like myself, I've got to recommend the very simple to use but adaptable Fender Champion 40 like mine....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-02-2015, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Default I have 3 rigs...

I have three small, light weight and toneful amp rigs:

1) I have a small, 1 x 12, 40 watt, 6L6 based amp called a RP40 made by Henry Heistand (Redplate Amps) with both Tweed and Blackface preamps feeding into an overdrive section. The amp is compact and weighs just a little over 30 lbs. I use this rig mostly for playing electric blues.

2) This is a small, 1 x 10, 200 watt solid state combo called a RE200 by Scot Buffington (Evans Amps). It has tremendous clean headroom and one of the most flexible, clean tone shaping preamps of any amp that I have played. The amp weighs about 25-lbs. i use this rig for archtop jazz mostly.

3) Lastly (but not leastly), I have a 250 watt, two channel, solid state head by Acoustic Image (Clarus 2R Series III). I use this with a two-way, 1 x 8 speaker by John Buscarino (Chameleon). I use this rig with my archtop using both its magnetic pickup (Kent Armstrong 12 pole piece floater) and Barbera Soloist piezo transducer simultaneously. I use a stereo cable into each channel of the amp. The Barbera provides acoustic ambience into the mix of the magnetic pickup.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:22 AM

Default Just a few

I am original owner of a 1966 Fender Princeton Reverb that I had recapped etc ten years ago. I also have an early, made in America, Crate Palomino 15 which I think is a hidden gem. Finally I have a 50 watt Ultra Sound amp (solid state) for my acoustic guitars.
81 Fender E Strat
13 Epiphone Sheraton II
82 Seagull 12 string
Old 01-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

My Goodsell Deluxe V6 w/ WGS Black & Blue alnico 12 and a talkovich t-90 in koa and mahogany. This is the rig I play on electric gigs. I'm done w/ big amps.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:15 PM

TRRI - Texas heat speakers

SCXD with 12" Extension cab - Ragin Cajun/ C-Rex speakers

Mesa Express 550+ with extension cab - C-Rex speakers

Early 80's VT Classic - Jensen C12K speakers

Peavey VK 112 - Texas Heat speaker

Last edited by DESERTRAT1; 01-05-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:39 PM

I only own one, so it has to do everything for me - and it does.

I own a guitar.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Russ, thanks for the info on the Blackstar HT1. I've been doing a lot of research on a 1 watters and the HT1 was at the top of the list, along with the VHT Ultra Special (which is actually 6 watts). We have no local dealers so I can't try them out.

Have you tried it with OD pedals in front with the amp's gain turned up? I had read that the HT1 has its own pedal circuit built in and that external pedals may not sound as nice as other amps? (I may be confusing this with the HT-5).
I also bought a VHT Special 6 head and 1X12 cab over the holidays and will post a review and pics of both very soon. In short, the HT1R sounds great with pedals.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
I also bought a VHT Special 6 head and 1X12 cab over the holidays and will post a review and pics of both very soon. In short, the HT1R sounds great with pedals.
Sweet. Looking forward to the review Russ.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:28 AM

I got into building guitar amps as I wanted to give the person I worked with a small amp as a retirement gift. Played around with different ideas after that, got into building acoustic guitars now and amps have been pushed to the back for a while. I'll try and be brief about the amps. Mainly into Fender designs.

A Champ type amp with a 6V6. Have a switch to change the tone control from a Tweed tone knob to a Blackface stack with the tone knob now the treble control and a bass control. Scrounged parts and 70's stereo 10".

Tweed amp similar to a 6G2 Princeton (61'-63) but with parallel triode in the first stage and a pair of 6K6's out back. Switched to a BF tone control and the parallel triode is put in series to add gain.

A 5E3 (Tweed Deluxe) which uses 6AK6's for output tubes. So maybe two watts. I also have a switch to change from the funky interactive tone-volume controls to change to a normal Tweed volume-treble control. Also a 10" If you notice the output tubes are smaller than the 12AX7's. Think there was a 12AY7 in the amp when my buddy played with it.

Have a sound file a friend did, he was not familiar with the amp and just explored a little.

http://1drv.ms/1hDNpt3

Also an amp with 12AB5's for the output tubes. They are 6V6's stuffed into a 9-pin tube that runs on 12V heaters for car use. The amp also has a pentode up front, a cathode follower stage like the 57' Bassman and a LTPI and fixed bias output stage.

Mainly low buck builds.

Last edited by printer2; 01-06-2015 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Sentence with the wrong amp.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:35 AM

Nice work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I got into building guitar amps as I wanted to give the person I worked with a small amp as a retirement gift. Played around with different ideas after that, got into building acoustic guitars now and amps have been pushed to the back for a while. I'll try and be brief about the amps. Mainly into Fender designs.

A Champ type amp with a 6V6. Have a switch to change the tone control from a Tweed tone knob to a Blackface stack with the tone knob now the treble control and a bass control. Scrounged parts and 70's stereo 10".

Tweed amp similar to a 6G2 Princeton (61'-63) but with parallel triode in the first stage and a pair of 6K6's out back. Switched to a BF tone control and the parallel triode is put in series to add gain. If you notice the output tubes are smaller than the 12AX7's. Think there was a 12AY7 in the amp when my buddy played with it.

A 5E3 (Tweed Deluxe) which uses 6AK6's for output tubes. So maybe two watts. I also have a switch to change from the funky interactive tone-volume controls to change to a normal Tweed volume-treble control. Also a 10"

Have a sound file a friend did, he was not familiar with the amp and just explored a little.

http://1drv.ms/1hDNpt3

Also an amp with 12AB5's for the output tubes. They are 6V6's stuffed into a 9-pin tube that runs on 12V heaters for car use. The amp also has a pentode up front, a cathode follower stage like the 57' Bassman and a LTPI and fixed bias output stage.

Mainly low buck builds.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:13 PM

No pics to post as I am at work, but I went to a Factal AXE-FX back in 09. The last analog amps I had that left were a VOX AC-30, 69 Fender BMR , and a Cornell Plexi.

It is honestly the best musicial purchase I have made in 30+ years of playing.

Acoustic:
Goodall Concert Jumbo
Ovation 12 string

Electric:
79 Gibson Les Paul Std
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Gretsch White Falcon
Godin Flat Five X
Warmoth Strat
Lakland 55-02

Rig:
Axe-FX II
MFC-101
Yamaha AG Stomp
JH Audio Pro-16s
QSC HPR112i
Old 01-06-2015, 02:45 PM

These are the two I've pretty much settled down on. A '72 Twin and an early 90's Mesa Studio .22+ with a Thiele 1x12 closed cabinet. I tend to use the Mesa the most.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars