The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-05-2014, 06:30 PM

I realize my previous post came across too harsh. The T5z has everything that I would want, and a bridge pickup that my A6 Ultra is missing, but it is priced too high for me to enjoy as a comfortable beater. The T5x, purchased below MAP at a smaller Taylor dealer, is reasonable to me. But so far that model has not been announced (T5zx???), and the rest of the T5z's seem to be priced above their T5 predecessors. Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-05-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I realize my previous post came across too harsh. The T5z has everything that I would want, and a bridge pickup that my A6 Ultra is missing, but it is priced too high for me to enjoy as a comfortable beater. The T5x, purchased below MAP at a smaller Taylor dealer, is reasonable to me. But so far that model has not been announced (T5zx???), and the rest of the T5z's seem to be priced above their T5 predecessors. Jon
I would assume the higher price is because it's new and an upgrade.

I don't know if I'd consider a T5 a beater guitar.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:21 AM

s2y

Taylor T5 gig bag is still available...$100. Check CL or other sources for lower price....
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 01-07-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
s2y

Taylor T5 gig bag is still available...$100. Check CL or other sources for lower price....
I saw one and it seemed to be about the same overall size of the hard case. Probably lighter, but didn't seem as practical as something like my Ritter double bags.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:07 PM

Just noticed a T5 classic with a mahogany top on Sweetwater for $1600 MAP. A T5z similarly priced and configured would interest me. Jon

Jon Fields
Old 01-19-2014, 12:33 PM

I just picked up a T5 standard for £1149/$1600, absolutely over the moon with it, not sure I can justify the extra cost for the T5z though.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:58 PM

I just noticed a 2014 T5 standard on Sweetwater and it also MAPs for $2300. Looks like Taylor raised the price across the board (and upgraded the fingerboard inlays a bit). The T5 has been a poor seller, at least according to the Taylor dealers I've discussed it with (none of which stock them). One problem, to me, was the size of the T5 rivalling an ES-335, which is iconic, but also not a big seller. The T5z handles that. Next was the price. Too high by electric guitar standards. Hopefully Taylor has some yet to be announced (or leaked through Internet retailer inventory) lower priced model that can break the T5z into the mainstream. And then I might find one in-stock at some point. Jon

Jon Fields
Old 01-20-2014, 08:36 AM

I played a T5z the other day. The owner of the shop was talking about it being a new model which I couldn't figure out as it looked just like every other T5 I'd seen, and played. I was more attracted to a T3-B that he had. I played both though a Carr Sportsman and came away really liking the T5z. I loved the small size and light weight of the T5z. The neck was great and it sounded very nice unplugged. One of these could become my downstairs, play every day electric. I could see it being ideal for the player that does a lot of solo gigs and needs an electric and acoustic. I own two other Taylors already and wouldn't mind adding another although right now might not be the time. I have a custom order small body Santa Cruz about to join the herd. I'll post pics when I get her home. Steve
Old 01-20-2014, 09:02 AM
Cocobologist

Gigged with my '05 T5 last Friday night in restaurant bar, doing side/lead work beside my friend's acoustic playing. Three hours, playing everything from acoustic Everly Brothers strumming to slapback Gretschy twang, smooth jazzy richness to crunchy blues rock solos. T5 + Zoom G3 direct into the PA worked flawlessly and sounded great.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 01-20-2014, 09:11 AM

Would you guys say the T5 sound better with acoustic being having a bigger body hence a bigger surface than the T5z?
Old 01-20-2014, 11:59 AM
Cocobologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Lin View Post
Would you guys say the T5 sound better with acoustic being having a bigger body hence a bigger surface than the T5z?
I haven't played the "Z" yet, but I would venture a guess that you wouldn't hear much difference at all between the two models because of size.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 01-20-2014, 01:01 PM

I hope to play a T5z soon to make that comparison. Mine has just the right amount of unplugged volume to be convenient for practice without an amp.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Just noticed a T5 classic with a mahogany top on Sweetwater for $1600 MAP. A T5z similarly priced and configured would interest me. Jon

The T5 Z's are offered with a Mahigany top. They had them at NAMM. Taylor wasn't able to get them out in time for the first introduction.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
I started on Fender solid body guitars as a kid and maybe with that experience I always thought the T5 was too big. Most smaller Taylor dealers no longer stock T5s and I wonder if the T5z will cross over into mainstream distribution. I am looking forward to seeing one at the local Taylor dealers (presuming it becomes popular enough for them to stock). Jon
This is interesting to me. We always have several in stock and received a T5z standard as soon as it was available. I've never had a problem with them selling, I wonder what prevents them from stocking them.

Go SPURS Go
Old 01-27-2014, 11:33 PM

Taylor is making a T5z Classic which is the mahogany topped model, similar to the T5x they were making but they changed the top from ovangkol to mahogany this year on both the T5 and T5z classic.

The T5z and T5 classic MAP is $1599, which is the same as the T5x last year.

Here's a video we did of the T5 vs T5z - size wise. (pardon my playing - it was really cold).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4N1Wn7T820

T5z classic - http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars...5z/t5z-classic

Go SPURS Go

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars