The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Marley. I was a die hard Fender guy initially and had about 17 of them as recently as a few months ago. Three years ago I became familiar with G&L. I currently own 13 of them and am reducing the Fenders considerably. G&L uses much nicer woods on the transparent finishes, sonically will do more than a Fender in my opinion and are on par with Fender Customshop models for much less money. If you are looking for a StratF type rig you should try G&L, Leo Fenders last company. Specifically I would look at the Legacy or S-500 models. If you are like most who do that you may be a owner. -- Darwin

Last edited by Darwin; 11-07-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: More specific information
Old 11-07-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Marley. I was a die hard Fender guy initially and had about 17 of them as recently as a few months ago. Three years ago I became familiar with G&L. I currently own 13 of them and am reducing the Fenders considerably. G&L uses much nicer woods on the transparent finishes, sonically will do more than a Fender in my opinion and are on par with Fender Customshop models for much less money. If you are looking for a StratF type rig you should try G&L, Leo Fenders last company. Specifically I would look at the Legacy or S-500 models. If you are like most who do that you may be a owner. -- Darwin
excellent! Just what I thought and have been told by several people. Now I just need to go play one and buy one. Thanks!!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:22 PM

Darwin, other than the woods, what are the other differences between the G&L and Fenders?
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 11-07-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
Darwin, other than the woods, what are the other differences between the G&L and Fenders?
From my experience the biggest differences are the pickups which are the pickups which are Magnetic Field Design. Here is G & L's description.

http://www.glguitars.com/features/MFD-pickups.asp

I find these pickups to be much hotter than standard ceramic magnet pickups and certainly Alnico magnet pickups. IMO they do not produce what is normally referred to as "classic" Fender sound. They are cool pickups and work great for rock.

Another major difference is that G & L "Strats" allow for all 3 pickups to be on at once.

The materials and workmanship (as already noted by Darwin) are excellent.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

The other difference is the neck profiles. G&Ls can be ordered with different neck profiles including 12 and 7.5 inch radius. You will see flamed necks on standard G&Ls. That is unheard of on a Fender unless it is a special model or Custom Shop. There are also many more color options. Do a search on G&L guitars and look at their website. A lot of good information. If you look at the pictures that I posted they look very similar to a Fender. Just look at the headstock and they have a small point on the downward side of the headstock. Upon closer inspection you will notice the difference in appearance of the vibratos on the Strat type. -- Darwin
Old 11-07-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
The other difference is the neck profiles. G&Ls can be ordered with different neck profiles including 12 and 7.5 inch radius. You will see flamed necks on standard G&Ls. That is unheard of on a Fender unless it is a special model or Custom Shop. There are also many more color options. Do a search on G&L guitars and look at their website. A lot of good information. If you look at the pictures that I posted they look very similar to a Fender. Just look at the headstock and they have a small point on the downward side of the headstock. Upon closer inspection you will notice the difference in appearance of the vibratos on the Strat type. -- Darwin
I just hate the headstocks on G&Ls. Looks like a poor, Asian copy of a Fender with a mismatched, ugly transfer. Scroll type headstock with a block style transfer; uglee.. Sorry!

I gotta say, all Fender style guitars (and I got a stack of em) are pure rip off when you compare them to a Gibson with a fixed neck (Fender wood screws), neck and body binding (Fender nowt), body mounted electrics (Fender on a plastic sheet), headstock veneer facing and ornate Gibson inlay (Fender no facing + water slide transfer), humbucking pickups (Fender single coil), top carve (Fender flat), etc etc. I don't dislike the sound of Fenders, I just cannot understand how an American Strat can cost so much compared to a Les Paul, given the above points.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 11-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Steveyam, there are a lot of differences in guitars. I have owned two Gibsons in recent years. They may appeal to you but they also have their share of issues. I have a Suhr Strat type guitar in Surf Green. It is an extremely well built guitar with many refinements over a Strat. People have commented that they don't like the headstock. We all have different reasons for buying what we buy and that's what makes these forums interesting. I love to see different types of guitars. I noticed that you have quite an assortment of guitars. I also have a Parker Southern which is either a love or hate relationship with most folks. It is also a fine instrument. What I have found is that the quality of the G&Ls are second to none. I admit that I am a guitar lover and believe me, I like them all.-- Darwin
Old 11-07-2011, 04:33 PM

Not a great pic, but here's my Henriksen Convertible (with a Redstone speaker cab) and my Hofner Verythin Standard.

My ultimate feedback free jazz rig...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-07-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Not a great pic, but here's my Henriksen Convertible (with a Redstone speaker cab) and my Hofner Verythin Standard.

My ultimate feedback free jazz rig...

Very nice!

I own a guitar.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

I have three guitars that are in rotation, but the Soloway Loon is my favorite right now. And, a Headstrong Lil' King.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Matt, that Soloway looks good enough to eat. Elegance+
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-08-2011, 06:51 PM

franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 11-10-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
An ES-335 with a Varitone...

Usually see them on 345 and 355 guitars.

How'd you end up with one on a 335?

Thanks!
Its a german varitone switch that was installed after-market. Sounds incredible. And, you are right, this is more a 345 than a 335. Love it!
Old 11-16-2011, 09:14 PM

Epi Sheraton II
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 2x12

not as flashy as some, but she gets the job done.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:32 PM

A Fender Deluxe Reverb 65 RI and a PRS CE22 with a ten top and bird inlays.
Seagull Entourage Rustic (I won it!)

PRS CE22
American Standard Stratocaster
Silverface 1978 Fender Champ
Fender Deluxe Reverb

Winner of the Virginia Guitar Festival

Feel free to call me Zach

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars