The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

The new DRRI amps do not have any chips or solid state ANYTHING in them. The main differance between a vintage and reissue is that the reissue uses a fiberglass printed circuit board and the vintage amps used military style "turret" boards. The turret boards could withstand a lot of repairs without experiencing lifting/curling etch lines. All the connection points had eyelets for added strength and heat dissipation. A Fiberglass PCB is not nearly as robust or serviceable but they are not throw-way. In most cases they can be repaired. Also, all of the pots and switches are chassis mounted on the new amps, just as the old ones were.

You can upgrade a new reissue amp to be very similar to the originals. You can buy turret boards and either stuff them yourself or buy them completely populated and a few solder connections is all that's involved with replacing the PCB.

I've owned my Fender DRRI for 16 years. I bought it right after they were introduced around 1995. It has been 100% reliable despite constant use. And it sounds amazing.

I find it interesting that you want to get into electric guitar, but rather than buy an actual electric, you are buying a gas-can guitar and cigar-box guitar. You really need to play some great electrics and see how the other half lives.
You might also consider buying a Hot-plate from National, slap it on your Reso Rocket, and fire up the old tube amp. Keep in mind that you have to be able to actually PLAY the thing. The Gas-cans and cigar-boxes I've seen aren't exactly in the same league as a nice vintage Strat or LP.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

I may have missed this in my skim, but are you looking for new handmade, or vintage Fender handmade?

For me the middle ground has always been 80s Silverface Fender, but those have become pretty expensive and collectible these days, I suppose.

Yet and still, the middlest of all happy best of all worlds mediums for me is a Silverface Fender Princeton Reverb. ...I'm on my second after foolishly trading off the first for a Deluxe Reverb, which was more than I needed, volume (and thus hauling-around-weight-wise).

td
Old 10-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Are you playing with a drummer? It sounds like you're mostly acoustic and adding electric for some variety. My choice of amp would definitely vary based on how much clean headroom is required. Fwiw, While there's nothing "wrong" with the modern Fenders, they are definitely not in the same class as a nice hand wired amp.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLin View Post
Are you playing with a drummer? It sounds like you're mostly acoustic and adding electric for some variety. My choice of amp would definitely vary based on how much clean headroom is required. Fwiw, While there's nothing "wrong" with the modern Fenders, they are definitely not in the same class as a nice hand wired amp.
Personally I would rather have a "modern" PRRI or DRRI then quite a few "hand wired" amps out there. Hand wiring does not guarantee anything. I have seen some really lousy point-to-point wired amps.

If a Custom Shop Fender Vibro-King is considered a "modern" Fender thenm give me "modern" Fender anyday!
Old 10-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
Personally I would rather have a "modern" PRRI or DRRI then quite a few "hand wired" amps out there. Hand wiring does not guarantee anything. I have seen some really lousy point-to-point wired amps.

If a Custom Shop Fender Vibro-King is considered a "modern" Fender thenm give me "modern" Fender anyday!
Well ... I'm not suggesting anyone buy a lousy sounding ptp amp. I would suggest trying the amp before buying. And yes, Fender custom shop stuff is nice, but most WAY more than the OP's budget. I don't think your going to find a vibro-king for $1200. But, you might find A nice Dr Z, especially if you buy used.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:06 PM

no,no,no, get a solid state amp, I kid you not, for what you will be playing and wanting to do. My good friend Mike Snowden makes guitars like those and he will agree ( if you call him tell him I sent you) try specifically find a Fender red knob Princeton chorus, (they are cheap ) you can thank me later...
Old 10-11-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrake View Post
I may have missed this in my skim, but are you looking for new handmade, or vintage Fender handmade?

For me the middle ground has always been 80s Silverface Fender, but those have become pretty expensive and collectible these days, I suppose.

Yet and still, the middlest of all happy best of all worlds mediums for me is a Silverface Fender Princeton Reverb. ...I'm on my second after foolishly trading off the first for a Deluxe Reverb, which was more than I needed, volume (and thus hauling-around-weight-wise).

td
Not really sure. All I know is that I've had bad luck with stuff breaking in the past. I just figured that hand wired would be easily repaired compared to the cost of a whole circuit board. In my head, I'm picturing a nightmare of 500 chips doing the same thing as a handful of diodes, capacitors and resistors. But I'm pretty ignorant with this stuff as you can tell.

Well, I'm not saying I do not want a tele at some point, I just tend to get really obsessed with stuff and right now I don't really want to get into telecasters and strats and whatnot. I'd be obsessing over building more than playing music.

I would definitely consider one of the newer hand made Fenders, but the cost is beyond what I want to spend. I've seen some really nice stuff from independent builders for under $1500 or so. I've been eyeing out the Sligo amps, but recently learned that he just buys the kits from Weber. I can solder well, but have no real other experience with troubleshooting a tube amp. I'd rather just buy one.

Let me ask you guys this. If you had $2500 or whatever to buy a Fender amp. Would it be a reissue or a handmade one from some boutique builder?

Are you that confident in the new stuff from Fender? I'm not being sarcastic, just asking a question.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
The new DRRI amps do not have any chips or solid state ANYTHING in them.
I think I just spotted a solid-state diode in the schematic for the '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue amp. It is labeled CR1 and in the layout diagram is just above the shaft of the Reverb potentiometer:

http://support.fender.com/schematics..._schematic.pdf

Last edited by Herb Hunter; 10-11-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:16 PM

Well, let me show you guys what I've been looking at. Both these cats seem to get good reviews. The prices are pretty low, IMO, so what's wrong here?

http://store.marshamps.com/product_i...roducts_id=451

http://www.shop.sligoamps.com/Blackf...uxe-Reverb.htm
Old 10-11-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle View Post
Not really sure. All I know is that I've had bad luck with stuff breaking in the past. I just figured that hand wired would be easily repaired compared to the cost of a whole circuit board. In my head, I'm picturing a nightmare of 500 chips doing the same thing as a handful of diodes, capacitors and resistors. But I'm pretty ignorant with this stuff as you can tell.

Well, I'm not saying I do not want a tele at some point, I just tend to get really obsessed with stuff and right now I don't really want to get into telecasters and strats and whatnot. I'd be obsessing over building more than playing music.

I would definitely consider one of the newer hand made Fenders, but the cost is beyond what I want to spend. I've seen some really nice stuff from independent builders for under $1500 or so. I've been eyeing out the Sligo amps, but recently learned that he just buys the kits from Weber. I can solder well, but have no real other experience with troubleshooting a tube amp. I'd rather just buy one.

Let me ask you guys this. If you had $2500 or whatever to buy a Fender amp. Would it be a reissue or a handmade one from some boutique builder?

Are you that confident in the new stuff from Fender? I'm not being sarcastic, just asking a question.

Once again.....PCB does not imply "chips". They are not solid state. They just use a printed circuit board with traces to attach the capacitors and resistors.

I am VERY confident in my PRRI. And, I could work on it if needed.

Gregsguitars is probably right. Unless you are gonna get a real guitar, a solid state amp would be totally appropriate.

For $2500 (if I were in your shoes) I would buy a very nice "boutique" or vintage tube amp and use the rest for a real guitar.

Last edited by terrapin; 10-11-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:29 PM

Great, back to square one

Why do you guys think solid state would be better? I'm not trying to be a jerk here just trying to educate myself before I make a mistake, like I always do.

Last edited by kscobie8; 10-11-2011 at 06:53 PM. Reason: language
Old 10-11-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Great, back to square one

Why do you guys think solid state would be better? I'm not trying to be a jerk here just trying to educate myself before I make a mistake, like I always do.
For use with a cigar box or gas can guitar a decent Solid State amp will work. An amp can only amplify the sound coming from the instrument.

You aren't gonna notice vintage Fender tone from a novelty instrument.

Last edited by kscobie8; 10-11-2011 at 06:53 PM. Reason: edited quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:35 PM

Not even if it has dual humbuckers in it?
Old 10-11-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Not even if it has dual humbuckers in it?
Nope.............................
Old 10-11-2011, 07:35 PM

you can try MATCHLESS amps http://www.matchlessamplifiers.com/index.html

Jeffery Kunde plays live and does alot of studio work and swears by Matchless.

here is Jeffery playing live with Matchless
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLIKj...781034A01597D4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars