The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-30-2011, 09:06 PM

Default Is the Fender Duluxe Reverb gig worthy?

I have a 25 watt peavey bravo 112. There is no way this thing has enough juice to play a small gig without breaking up. i even put new tubes in it, maybe i should replace the speaker?

if im correct, the deluxe reverb is 22 watt. do you think its gig worthy?
would it be a more powerful amp than my peavey?

i like to play my strat with a clean sound no breakup.

thanks!
2009 Norman B18
2011 Larrivee L-03
Old 05-30-2011, 10:21 PM

The Bravo should be a very gig worthy amp if running right ?? As far as the Deluxe reverb goes it's a much better amp in every way as far as I'm concerned and I gig all the time !!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimTrunks View Post
I have a 25 watt peavey bravo 112. There is no way this thing has enough juice to play a small gig without breaking up. i even put new tubes in it, maybe i should replace the speaker?

if im correct, the deluxe reverb is 22 watt. do you think its gig worthy?
would it be a more powerful amp than my peavey?

i like to play my strat with a clean sound no breakup.

thanks!
I guess it depends on how loud you play. A 22-25 watt amp should be pretty loud before breaking up. Many guys use this size amp "because" of the breakup at loud rock gigging levels. I opted for a '69 Pro Reverb which stays cleaner longer with a thick rich tone.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:43 AM

The Deluxe Reverb is my favorite amp - both for recording and for gigging. IMO, the stock speaker needs to be upgraded tho. I use a Celestion G12H30 speaker in each of mine - I have two DR's. The Celestion makes the 22 watt DR sound at least like a 30 watt amp. Huge improvement in tone.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 05-31-2011, 08:03 AM

The DR is probably the best known club amp of all time, and is often a standard back line amp if the venue has such.

Does that answer your question?
Old 05-31-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyquilt View Post
The DR is probably the best known club amp of all time, and is often a standard back line amp if the venue has such.

Does that answer your question?
yep, thanks guys.
im not doubting it for a crunchy blues sound but do you think it has the clean headroom i need? im thnking small places like bars and such.

i play a strat with a singer/keyboard, and bongo/bass drum/highhat.
2009 Norman B18
2011 Larrivee L-03
Old 05-31-2011, 08:15 AM

The DR should have plenty of clean headroom unless you're playing huge venues at high volume. Back when I preferred Fender amps, the DR was my favorite. I don't use Fenders much anymore, but I still keep an old DR in my collection. It's one of the true classics.

A few Canadian and American Guitars
Old 05-31-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimTrunks View Post
yep, thanks guys.
im not doubting it for a crunchy blues sound but do you think it has the clean headroom i need? im thnking small places like bars and such.

i play a strat with a singer/keyboard, and bongo/bass drum/highhat.
Absolutely...but only if you change out the stock speaker for a really good one.

Like I said, I recommend the Celestion G12H30.

I've sat in the audience and listened to the farty tones of DR's with the stock speaker...change out that stock speaker for a highly efficient Celestion G12H30 to correct this.

It's the speaker model that Jimi Hendrix used. Much better clean tones and much better soloing tones too. Covers all style of music too. It's not just a rock n roll speaker!

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 05-31-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:25 AM

great! thanks all.
2009 Norman B18
2011 Larrivee L-03
Old 05-31-2011, 08:31 AM

I build amps and cabinets and I was a huge fan of Celestion speakers for years. However, the current products they are importing don't have the same quality and sound as the classic speakers they used to produce. It's a shame, because some of the greatest tones in rock music were made with cabs filled with Celestions. I finally had to stop using them because the quality just isn't there anymore. They are just resting on their laurels and expecting the name to sell their speakers now.

The GHS Reaper & Reaper 55hz are better examples of the old G12H30 than current selection from Celestion. I personally prefer the tone of the the old Celestion 12M/H Greenbacks (think late 1960's Marshall Bluesbreaker cabs) and I use the GHS Green Berets in those cabinets now.

Regardless of whether you use new Celestions, GHS or Eminence speakers, just about anything you pick will be better than the speakers in the newer Fender combos, though.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsDad View Post
I build amps and cabinets and I was a huge fan of Celestion speakers for years. However, the current products they are importing don't have the same quality and sound as the classic speakers they used to produce. It's a shame, because some of the greatest tones in rock music were made with cabs filled with Celestions. I finally had to stop using them because the quality just isn't there anymore. They are just resting on their laurels and expecting the name to sell their speakers now.

The GHS Reaper & Reaper 55hz are better examples of the old G12H30 than current selection from Celestion. I personally prefer the tone of the the old Celestion 12M/H Greenbacks (think late 1960's Marshall Bluesbreaker cabs) and I use the GHS Green Berets in those cabinets now.

Regardless of whether you use new Celestions, GHS or Eminence speakers, just about anything you pick will be better than the speakers in the newer Fender combos, though.
My Celestions were all made in England. They're not hard to find but you have to pay a little more. I avoid Chinese products whenever I can...but it's tough.

As of a few years ago, the Celestion G12H30 Heritage was still made in England, as were the G12-65 Heritiage, Celestion Blue Alnico and Celestion Alnico Gold. Those are my favorite Celestions and I use them all in my small stash of vintage Fender amps.

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 05-31-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
Absolutely...but only if you change out the stock speaker for a really good one.
I agree but would stick with a Jensen-type speaker (a Weber C12N or 12F150) to capture the original vibe. The Celestion has more of a Marshall tone.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
I agree but would stick with a Jensen-type speaker (a Weber C12N or 12F150) to capture the original vibe. The Celestion has more of a Marshall tone.

It's not really a true story though. Celestion speakers were used in Vox amps which don't sound much like a Marshall. They are not just for Marshall tones. The G12H30 was used by Jimi Hendrix but it's even great for country tones!

I'm primarily a jazzy blues guitarist. My Celestions get me a great tone regardless of the style I'm playing.

Like I said: better clean tones and better soloing tones.

Robben Ford uses the G1265...another favorite speaker of mine. I have a pair in a Matchless. Does not sound like a Marshall...although I do love vintage Marshalls.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post

That's a good point. Since I "fell out of love" with Fenders, I forgot many people prefer them for the clean tone and those Celestions just aren't the best choice in that application. You can play them clean, but they don't sound like a Jensen.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsDad View Post
That's a good point. Since I "fell out of love" with Fenders, I forgot many people prefer them for the clean tone and those Celestions just aren't the best choice in that application. You can play them clean, but they don't sound like a Jensen.
No they don't. Celestion G12H30's, G12 alnicos and G1265's don't fart out the way cheap Italian made Jensens do.

I have a small stash of original Chicago made Jensens from the 50's and 60's - those used in the Fender amps of the 50's and 60's: P10R, C12N, etc. The Italian made Jensens don't sound much like them.

You've all heard Robben Ford right? Amazing jazz blues guitarist who knows all the chords. He's using Celestion G1265's with his Dumble. Never sounds like he's playing through a Marshall...not that that would be a bad thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars