The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-20-2018, 09:34 PM

Default Emerald X20 - Adding a Pickup

I recently purchased a pre-owned Emerald X20. It is not amplified. On Emerald’s site they offer the LR Baggs Anthem as an option.
Does anyone have any knowledge or opinions on adding that pickup?
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 05-20-2018, 10:04 PM

Had one retroed on my martin J 12 40. Works great. Make sure to get a good luthier.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:25 AM

Hi BT. I’ve got the lesser Baggs element in my X7 (factory installed).

It works very well and I imagine that the Anthem should be even better.

However, if I was doing it again I would probably just put a simple (battery free) K&K Mini in there.

I see you have a Loudbox Performer amp. I have a K&K in a Martin dread and it sounds fine through my Loudbox Artist without any pre-amp or active controls.

Whatever you decide, email Emerald and I think they will be happy to provide detailed instructions for you or your tech.
This is especially important if you did go K&K, the contact area must be prepped and position of trancducers is critical.
(They don’t mind that you got it second hand, I also did My X20 and they sent me a new saddle for it F.O.C ! Great company.)

Last edited by Long Jon; 05-21-2018 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:47 PM

Did you buy that black Opus that was on Reverb recently? That looked like a great deal. I was about "this" close to buying it myself. I'm curious which model SKB case was included. It looked like a perfect fit.

When I talked to Emerald before I bought my X20 with a K&K, they said they drill the bridge for an undersaddle pickup no matter what pickup you put in there. It's entirely possible that your bridge is already drilled for a pickup, in which case all you'll need to do is lower the saddle and drill out the endpin hole. Shouldn't be too bad.

I just realized that I've never actually checked my guitar to make sure that statement was true. Maybe I'll do that.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:29 PM

I did purchase the X20 that was offered on Reverb.
I removed the bridge saddle and it is drilled for a piezo pickup but I’m installing an LR Baggs Anthem which uses an internal microphone. I contacted Emerald as they offer the Anthem as an option and asked where they mount the microphone. I’m waiting for their response.
The included SKB hard case does not include a model number but does fit the guitar very well.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Old 05-24-2018, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

I'm a big fan of K&K and put one in my rainsong as well as one of my Martin's. sounds great! Besides how well it sounds it doesn't have electronics or battery which seems logical for a carbon fiber that might be taken into elements. I have Baggs lyric in an old Martin. if I were to do it over again I'd do K&K in that as well.

Another option for K&K is ease of install so you can install yourself if you want. We put one in my wife's uke without trouble including drilling the hole.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 05-24-2018, 08:58 PM

I installed a K&K Ultra Pure Mini in my Voyage-Air and am very happy with it. Many times you need an external pre-amp with the K&K mini and I’m trying to stay away from that. The Anthem has a very small footprint and its an Emerald option.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Old 05-27-2018, 01:28 PM

I just finished installing the Anthem system in the X20. LR Baggs was nice enough to provide a reinstallation kit. The problem I ran into is that their double side tape doesn’t stick to carbon fiber. I keep 3M double side tape in stock and added it to all of the parts. It worked well with the CF and I was able to complete the install.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Old 05-27-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I just finished installing the Anthem system in the X20. LR Baggs was nice enough to provide a reinstallation kit. The problem I ran into is that their double side tape doesn’t stick to carbon fiber. I keep 3M double side tape in stock and added it to all of the parts. It worked well with the CF and I was able to complete the install.

Cool..Sound???
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-02-2018, 03:19 PM

The Anthem I installed was the SL model (microphone only). My concern was feedback, there was none. The amplified sound is fairly true to the acoustic tonal range. I am very happy with the results. As an FYI the bridge is factory drilled for a piezo pickup.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Old 06-02-2018, 03:59 PM

I do believe a video (with sound) or sound byte is appropriate at this time in our lives. Me thinks others will concur with. (Oops...ended a sentence with a proposition ...sigh...hate when that happens.)
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-02-2018, 05:44 PM
Guest 928

My alleged nephew;

Listen. I too use spell-check as the cause of many problems with my discourse. And sometimes I have problems with grammar check. But at some point (my spell check wrote that as "pint"), you need to wean yourself away from the robot world and take responsibility for your communications. We love you man, and we can take Kramster Raw. Just let it out, don't back up, cofeefee the heck out of it and let it go,
Old 06-03-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I do believe a video (with sound) or sound byte is appropriate at this time in our lives. Me thinks others will concur with. (Oops...ended a sentence with a proposition ...sigh...hate when that happens.)

Sorry but I’ve never recorded any sound or made any videos. I might break the internet with a video as it would be a real horror show. My backup singers, all the dogs in my area, would sue me for not paying them royalties
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Old 06-12-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I installed a K&K Ultra Pure Mini in my Voyage-Air and am very happy with it. Many times you need an external pre-amp with the K&K mini and I’m trying to stay away from that. The Anthem has a very small footprint and its an Emerald option.
Since you guys are discussing this topic...
I have a question or concern about adding a pickup to an X20.
To me... the sound hole size and distance from the bridge looks lime it would be very difficult to add a K&K or Anthem Lyric mic or any aftermarket SBT.
A UST might be easy enough, but I hate the sound of a Piezo UST.
From the looks of it, I dont think I could get my forearm through that hole in the X20 and it looks like I would need to get “elbow deep” to get to the bridge area.
1976 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman #7670
Old 06-12-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyOK View Post
From the looks of it, I dont think I could get my forearm through that hole in the X20 and it looks like I would need to get “elbow deep” to get to the bridge area.
I'm a pretty big guy (6'4", 230lbs), and I can get my arm inside, at least to the bridge. I haven't tried to get to the endpin, but I can give it a shot and see just how far I can go.

In any case, the soundhole is bigger than it looks in pictures.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber