The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-11-2018, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Default Well, that didn't work out like I thought...

There was a discussion here about trying nylon strings on a steel string guitar. Since you can buy nylon strings with a ball end, I thought I'd give it a go. I bought a set of D'Addario Folk nylon strings.

Now, before giving an opinion on this experiment, I should say I have played a couple nylon string guitars in my life. For a grand total of about 3 minutes. I have a ukulele. I don't play it much.

I read that nylon strings on a steel string guitar need more wraps on the tuning peg than steel strings. OK, I can do that. Most of the time, it takes me about 15 minutes to change out a set of steel strings... this took about an hour and a half... well, 15 minutes to change out the strings and the other hour and a quarter to try to get the darn things in tune. You know how people say they don't have to spend a lot of time tuning their carbon fiber guitar? Yeahs, that ain't the case when you try to put nylon strings on an X7.

For the record, the X7 was due for a new set of strings - seemed like a good time to try these nylons. My lovely X7 with the great tone sounds like it is full of socks. Old, stinky socks. The sustain is gone. The ringing tone is gone. But, on the bright side, I wasted a bunch of time trying to get it in tune... but the time I got to the top string, the bottom needed to be tuned again... it was a constant "chase". When it got close to stable, I put it down. I'll retune it another time or twelve this evening, then try it again tomorrow.

Now, I am an old dog, but I am willing to try new tricks. Or, at least give these strings a day or two before I cut them off and get my great sounding X7 back again. If it was my only guitar, those strings would have been off of there already.

I get it: the top of a guitar needs to be made lighter so it can be driven by those nylon strings. And, a guitar made for nylon strings would likely implode if you put steel strings on it. This X7 was never meant for nylon strings. It was a cheap experiment. (the cost of a set of strings)

This gave me an idea of the feel of a nylon guitar without actually buying one. Whew - I dodged the bullet on that one. I'm sure it would be better if Evan sent me one of his actual nylon guitars, but I can see I am a steel string kinda guy.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:04 PM

Sooo when Unc Evy sends you a nylon string you can put the John Pearse Folk (Thomastik Infield ) strings on and you'll be all set...just gessin'.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-11-2018, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

I put some on my X7 yesterday too, I'm still tunin' LOL it is getting closer and holds a little longer every time. I almost got thru half a song before things started sounding off again. I gotta admit I kinda like it, but no, not as well as steel strings. I'd never have only a nylon string guitar. It's something different that I will try for a while before judging too much. The local music store has a used Breedlove Nylon, that sounds pretty good. So putting these strings on a X7 may be silly, we'll find out.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:19 PM
Guest 928

A little tuning and you go all boo hoo. I told you, and told you, you are not going to get what you want with nylon strings on a steel string guitar. Listen to a good classical player and you will see the results of 500 years of guitar development. I had the pleasure of seeing and hearing Montoya make a nylon string guitar sing. That's the challenge of carbon fiber.

If you want nylon sensuality then you need a nylon string guitar.

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-11-2018 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Edited politics
Old 05-11-2018, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

I guess you didn't say it loud enough to sink in, I am kinda hard of hearing though. LOL Looks like you are right Evan. It's still fun to experiment. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

I didn't figure you'd have any sympathy for me, Evan... and if you did, it would not have made any difference in all my tuning time. I have heard players make a sax sing... and while I like it, it doesn't make me want to pick up a sax. I can appreciate a virtuoso on any instrument, even a nylon string guitar.

This satisfied a mild curiosity, so for that it was a success. As far as "music to my ears"... not so much. I was using the island counter in the kitchen for my "work bench," and I went into my guitar room to spend the next hour trying to get it in tune; my wife was watching the news and I didn't want to disturb her.

She asked, "What do you think?"

I said, "It was under-whelming."

She said, "I thought it sounded good, but I was paying more attention to the news." She's a mostly unbiased critic.

I just picked it up again... not even close to being in tune. I guess the real upside: I appreciate my Elixirs even more now!

John, I had to chuckle when I read your post... glad it isn't just me!
Old 05-11-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
not even close to being in tune.
Silly boy.. Trix are for kids, oops I mean...built in alternate tuning... changes every couple chords... how cool is that?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-12-2018, 12:13 AM
Charter Member

I played it for about 30 minutes tonight, it'sounds a little worse than the "First Act" guitars I've seen at Walmart. Back to wires tomorrow. LOL Fail.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:17 AM

I think you’re missing something: the nut slots on the X7 are cut for wire strings, not nylon, and the E,B,G, and possibly D strings on a nylon set are much larger than the equivalent metal strings. I wonder if this isn’t the source of some of the issues? Given that the X7 top has no bracing, I would think with a properly cut nut it should work, but then, I’m no luthier!
Old 05-12-2018, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I played it for about 30 minutes tonight, it'sounds a little worse than the "First Act" guitars I've seen at Walmart. Back to wires tomorrow. LOL Fail.
Yep. That ^^

I'm sure a guitar made for nylon strings would be delightful. This was like using a sports car to haul lumber.

Not every "experiment" gives the desired results.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:48 AM
Guest 928

Jim (and others);

Perhaps you tried the wrong strings. Next time, try Chef Boyardee deluxe Spa Ghetti strings. If that doesn't work for you, try some dental floss. Just suggesting.............
Old 05-12-2018, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

In the past I have tried nylon strings on steel string guitars with the same ugly results as noted here.

Not with the Savoy. It keeps up with my made-for-nylon Emerald X10N in volume. The tone, while different, is competitive and preferred for some things.

The Savoy might be the first guitar that can credibly use either nylon or steel strings. I have my GX for steel, so the Savoy gets the nylon job and I am not sure what I will do about the X10N.

I e-mailed Joe about this and just heard back. He wasn't surprised because of the Savoy's thin top. They've tried the experiment, too, and maybe there will good future news from the Blackbird R&D laboratory.

And yeah, the strings finally stretched out. Took a week or so, but holding tune (except for that stinkin' G) even going from 104 degrees to 80.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:10 PM
Guest 928

Strumalot;

You bring interesting news. If Blackbird's steel string guitar works with nylon strings then I have high hopes for a Savoy actually designed for nylon strings. Thanks for the report.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:13 AM

Reminds me of my dad fussing about "cat gut" strings way back when.

Please don't let your cat read this!
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 05-13-2018, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
Reminds me of my dad fussing about "cat gut" strings way back when.

Please don't let your cat read this!
Rufus comes to sit by me when I'm playing - never a discussion of "cat gut" in our house.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber