The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-07-2018, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Default "These Days" by Jackson Browne (cover)

This is my cover of Jackson Browne's song "These Days." He wrote this when he was 16 years old, which seems astounding to me.

The song seemed so poignant when it was performed by Glen Campbell near the end of his life.

Glen Campbell is playing this with no capo in the key of D. Jackson Browne plays this song these days (pun intended! ) in the key of D also, but with capo on the 2nd fret in C.

I was so taken with Glen Campbell's performance that I started out doing this song in D with no capo, but then I studied Jackson Browne's approach and decided that when playing this song solo I preferred the voicings available to me in the key of C. So in the end, I played this fairly close to how Jackson Browne plays this.

I hope you like this -- thanks so much for listening and commenting!

- Glenn
Old 05-07-2018, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Really nice Glenn.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Really nice Glenn.
Thanks Barry!

I'm glad you are listening! Thanks for your comments!

- Glenn
Old 05-08-2018, 04:39 AM

Stunning !

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 05-08-2018, 04:48 AM
Charter Member

That was just beautiful! I enjoyed it. Nice little fingerstyle you had going. It's hard to imagine writing that at 16, but Browne's quite a talented guy.

Very nicely done.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Great stuff, Glenn!

This is an iconic song for me. I really connected with Jackson's music when he was writing it (I was a teenager, and he not much older), and this one still resonates.

Bonus points for the GC video, I was not aware of his cover. And those pictures, wow, I got emotional looking at some of those. John Hartford, miss him, too....

Thanks
Old 05-08-2018, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Stunning !
Thank you Murph!

It's very nice of you to comment here! Glad you like this!

- Glenn
Old 05-08-2018, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
That was just beautiful! I enjoyed it. Nice little fingerstyle you had going. It's hard to imagine writing that at 16, but Browne's quite a talented guy.

Very nicely done.
Thank you Kerbie!

I'm very pleased that you like this! Regarding Jackson Browne writing this at age 16, it really is amazing. It really sounds like a song written by someone near the end of life. I can't imagine how he put himself in the right place to put that together. It really does show him to be a very gifted song writer.

Thanks so much for your comment here, Kerbie!

- Glenn
Old 05-08-2018, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Great stuff, Glenn!

This is an iconic song for me. I really connected with Jackson's music when he was writing it (I was a teenager, and he not much older), and this one still resonates.

Bonus points for the GC video, I was not aware of his cover. And those pictures, wow, I got emotional looking at some of those. John Hartford, miss him, too....

Thanks
Hi Bob,

Thanks so much for watching and for your comments! I'm glad this came across okay for you.

For me, too, that Glen Campbell video is very touching. In fact, it was that video that convinced me to take a shot at this song.

Hope you are well Bob!

- Glenn
Old 05-08-2018, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

That's pretty sweet right there, Glenn.

I imagine that new Martin is getting the lion's share of your attention these days?

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 05-08-2018, 08:33 AM

Excellent work!
It's not an easy cover, I know I'm still tryin' to get it.

I often felt there was something broken inside Jackson Browne that he could write a song like this at age sixteen. I like some of his stuff a lot, but there's a lot of melancholy and cynicism going on there for a young man it seems. I can't listen to him very much, it's too depressing, for me anyway.
I am familiar with his life story.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-08-2018, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
That's pretty sweet right there, Glenn.

I imagine that new Martin is getting the lion's share of your attention these days?
Hi Paul,

Thank you for commenting! I'm very happy that you like this!

Regarding the D-45, I like it a lot. But I have a few really outstanding guitars, so I don't think any of them get a lion's share of my time. I play them all, so my time gets divided up between them all!

Thanks again Paul!

- Glenn
Old 05-08-2018, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Excellent work!
It's not an easy cover, I know I'm still tryin' to get it.

I often felt there was something broken inside Jackson Browne that he could write a song like this at age sixteen. I like some of his stuff a lot, but there's a lot of melancholy and cynicism going on there for a young man it seems. I can't listen to him very much, it's too depressing, for me anyway.
I am familiar with his life story.
Hi Jamie,

Thanks for watching and commenting! I am so pleased that you like this!

Regarding Jackson Browne, I have had reactions over the years very similar to yours. I have had trouble listening for very long especially with his early work. Some of his early songs have really stood the test of time, but I find his later stuff a lot more appealing musically.

One of my YouTube subscribers suggested this song. As I mentioned up above, I was really drawn to this song because of the Glen Campbell video. In the end, my approach sounds closer, I think, to Jackson Browne's, probably because I eventually went back to some of his more recent videos to see how he plays this song today.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments Jamie!

- Glenn
Old 05-08-2018, 09:47 AM

As usual, very well done. I was particularly impressed almost from the first line at how well you used a subtle vocal vibrato. Very tasteful.

As to the "how could a teenager write this?" thoughts about Browne's song. I think it's possible many of us have been so much life that we've forgotten those years. that's understandable. But the teenage life transition is probably the only normal life transition that approaches the immensity of transitioning to end of life, and given that a teenager hasn't coped with that, or any of the other normal life transitions, those teenage changes must seem stronger yet at the time you are going through it.

To me the best line of the song is that final couplet, tacked on to the end "Don't confront me with my failures. I have not forgotten them." Yes, a person with a long life behind them can sing that line and fill it with personal meaning, as can most parents, or most adult caretakers of aging parents; but then, most teenagers feel the same way, and intensely, because they're feeling it for the first time.

Sorry for digressing from Glenn's performance, but one of the things his lovely performances of song like this (and many others that Glenn has presented) is that it reminds us of the power of those songs. That's one of the best things a singer can do, and Glenn does it.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-08-2018, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
As usual, very well done. I was particularly impressed almost from the first line at how well you used a subtle vocal vibrato. Very tasteful.

As to the "how could a teenager write this?" thoughts about Browne's song. I think it's possible many of us have been so much life that we've forgotten those years. that's understandable. But the teenage life transition is probably the only normal life transition that approaches the immensity of transitioning to end of life, and given that a teenager hasn't coped with that, or any of the other normal life transitions, those teenage changes must seem stronger yet at the time you are going through it.

To me the best line of the song is that final couplet, tacked on to the end "Don't confront me with my failures. I have not forgotten them." Yes, a person with a long life behind them can sing that line and fill it with personal meaning, as can most parents, or most adult caretakers of aging parents; but then, most teenagers feel the same way, and intensely, because they're feeling it for the first time.

Sorry for digressing from Glenn's performance, but one of the things his lovely performances of song like this (and many others that Glenn has presented) is that it reminds us of the power of those songs. That's one of the best things a singer can do, and Glenn does it.
Hi Frank!

Wonderful and very insightful comments. I have internally mused about the intensity of the transition through the teenage years and how it might relate to end-of-life transitions, but I don't think I have outwardly expressed any of those thoughts. You do this so well, Frank!

That line, "...don't confront me with my failures..." is hugely powerful and almost a signature line of the song. And I think it's so powerful because most of us react in a pretty prickly way when confronted by our failures. And yet failure is so much a part of being human.

I'm very pleased to know that you thought this came out okay, Frank! Thanks so much for your thoughts and comments!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell