The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-23-2018, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
When JB replaces FT that means it is my asymmetrical body including 1/2" offset MultiScale.
Hey Bruce, when I play the L00 the body that is asymmetrical does not belong to the guitar

I played the L00 while watching the Warriors play last night. In contrast, the L00 was able to close...

Last edited by jmat; 05-23-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

I shipped Tim Porter's JB-15 in Italian over the "Good" D. tucurensis today. He ought to have it on Friday. Honestly, it could not be better no matter what it was made from. While BRW might have added something somewhere, I don't know what it would have been.

I realized after I had packed it that I failed to take pictures with the snakewood truss rod cover I had just made. Packing is not my favorite chore, and I didn't want to do it twice, so I didn't.

John, I suppose I am an idiot, but I can't yet make sense of your last sentence. Perhaps it is a Basketball thing? I was apparently born w/o the TV sports gene, but that probably helps explain my long hours at the bench.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 05-23-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Yes Bruce a basketballish reference to getting the job done. But of course you are not an idiot, that might be reserved for people that invest so much emotional capital in an event that they begin talking, loudly and abruptly, to the TV. Then again there must be something atavistic about sports that appeals to our eon twisted genome. Kind of like music.

Congrats on Tim’s guitar. I played one of your 15 inch Italian / Tuc guitars at Schoenberg’s and it was a wonderfully complex sound.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here's something that doesn't happen every day.

My local weekly:

http://www.petaluma360.com/

There is a video of me playing Tim Porter's guitar (I think) and about thirty rather charming pictures of my shop and environs, not to mention the largely accurate article itself.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Here's something that doesn't happen every day.

My local weekly:

http://www.petaluma360.com/

There is a video of me playing Tim Porter's guitar (I think) and about thirty rather charming pictures of my shop and environs, not to mention the largely accurate article itself.
Great story. It’s nice when they get it right too. Beautiful instruments Bruce.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:53 PM

Nice vocal delivery also.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:36 PM

Having just had a great visit with Bruce in that shop, I can testify that the pictures captured the essence of the place perfectly.

Thanks again Bruce for a great day and what is going to be a great guitar. Congrats on the article and feature.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 05-25-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Smile I need to check in here more often!

I really do need to look at this thread more often! Holy cow these are some beautiful instruments.

Did the Australian Blackwood beauty sell at LaConner? That is about the most beautiful set of back and sides ever! I have had a couple Instruments with Australian Blackwood and I thought they sounded great. Relatively light weight too.

I must say, I like your comments about amplification. We spend a ton of money on instruments, but some folks shortchange them selves when it comes to amplifiers, and PA. Fortunately for me, I'm Playing almost all my gigs unplugged, and completely without amplification. Usually in senior andhealthcare facilities. This works well, as often there is no stage and I need to be able to move around in case someone falls out of their wheelchair. Haha

May your herds continue to increase!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-24-2018, 09:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
I really do need to look at this thread more often! Holy cow these are some beautiful instruments.

Did the Australian Blackwood beauty sell at LaConner? That is about the most beautiful set of back and sides ever! I have had a couple Instruments with Australian Blackwood and I thought they sounded great. Relatively light weight too.

I must say, I like your comments about amplification. We spend a ton of money on instruments, but some folks shortchange them selves when it comes to amplifiers, and PA. Fortunately for me, I'm Playing almost all my gigs unplugged, and completely without amplification. Usually in senior andhealthcare facilities. This works well, as often there is no stage and I need to be able to move around in case someone falls out of their wheelchair. Haha

May your herds continue to increase!

Paul
I have an “old folks home” gig tomorrow afternoon with ”the Coots”, my swing trio. I probably won’t use my new Amp there as it wouldn’t sound that much better through a hearing aid. On the other hand, when we play in restaurants it will really help, I’d think. I did use the Humphrey and my new Tyler Wells guitar at our last rehearsal and the boys wouldn’t shut up about the sound. Very nice.

I sold nothing at La Conner. 5 meaningful conversations and two warm fuzzy moments. Not really what I hoped for business-wise, but the experience was wonderful. I bought a great new guitar and amp; can’t complain.

Bob Berger sent me a picture the other day that made it pretty obvious that his new SJ and the ES-15 I recently acquired are flitch matched sister wood. It is truly incredible how 14 years of care and UV has transformed the Oz B’wood. I had a price of $7750 on the guitar at the show, and that’s a steal.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

Smile Amps and hearing aids...

You said

"I have an “old folks home” gig tomorrow afternoon with ”the Coots”, my swing trio. I probably won’t use my new Amp there as it wouldn’t sound that much better through a hearing aid."

Seven years ago when I started doing the "geezer gigs" I used a nice little Acoustic Image amp, a good mic, and a TCH harmony G. But the folks in front asked me to turn down, and the folks in back asked me to turn up! Haha

So now I just move around like a troubadour. Life is much simpler, and my back appreciates not moving stuff!

I figure I can say geezer gig as I am on the cusp of 67.

If I find $7,775 you will be the first to know. That is a very nice price as these Schoenberg Soloists are pretty spendy now! And it has your seal of approval too!

Hint, hint, dear readers...

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-26-2018, 05:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Tyler Wells

I believe I mentioned that I took 5 guitars up to La Conner and came back with 6. And a Humphrey amp. A common theme here in the forum has been "who is a good deal today and is headed for luthier stardom down the road"? Well, or Wells actually, IMO it is Tyler Wells. He has been working for arch-top maker Tom Ribbecke for some time, and has started making his own instruments. I must have walked by this piece a dozen times before I noticed it, but once I did see it I couldn't take my eyes off it. It has much in common with my JB series guitars conceptually, but is taken much further into pure art IMO, yet works very well. If any one want to reach him, I will forward your inquirie.

The Redwood is from a Railroad trestle recently disassembled in Larkspur CA. The Bay/Laurel burl was salvaged off the beach at the mouth of the Russian River. The pick up is Kent Armstrong. The back is Sapele, and the neck is African Mahogany, which could be the same thing, but he says it isn't. The workmanship is every bit as clean as my own, which is possibly an understatement.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Wow, what a beauty. How did I miss that one at the show?

SK

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 05-26-2018, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar Bruce.... Congrats
Old 05-26-2018, 07:23 PM

I agree with Bruce, I saw this in person and it is every bit as beautiful as it looks in the pictures and more so. I would say the pic guard et al is more greyish green in person and is really a very cool look. It sounds good even unamplified.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

While not up to the level of my acoustic archtop, it does indeed have a very pleasant natural sound, entirely enough to sit and play acoustically. While it could drown out a clavichord, it is otherwise probably only a useful gigging tool when plugged in. Did I mention my Humphrey? They are a great combination.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop