The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-03-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I don't know if it is possible, but the phrase would look cool if burned into the wood. Nothing gaudy, discreetly placed. Just a thought.
You may be onto something there. Letter punches could be heated up like little branding irons. It could be branded in.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

This a great read, I think a lot of us share your excitement, I know I do. I can't wait to see how it all turns out. Best of luck...
Old 04-03-2018, 06:51 PM

I need some input here on which pickup to go with. I've installed the K&K Pure in a couple of guitars so my DI/mixer is setup to work without an onboard preamp. I like not having batteries inside a guitar. But, onboard tuners sure are nice.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
I need some input here on which pickup to go with. I've installed the K&K Pure in a couple of guitars so my DI/mixer is setup to work without an onboard preamp. I like not having batteries inside a guitar. But, onboard tuners sure are nice.
Sounds like you already know.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-03-2018, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

I went with the K&K in my custom woody X20 and while I don't regret it I will say that the X20 seems to be a guitar that REALLY likes to resonate on that A string and so the natural tendency for K&K equipped guitars to be challenging to dial out feedback on is only amplified - pun intended - with the K&K/X20 pairing.

If I was going to do it again (custom order) I'd have to think long and hard. I had a fellow AGF'er come over once with his X20 which had a Baggs Anthem in it and I remember thinking it was really nice sounding although we really didn't push it that hard. I've had K&K's in just about every acoustic guitar I've owned over the years and while all were a challenge to tame feedback, the X20 was/is the worst of the bunch.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:29 AM
Guest 928

Jw;

Good thinking on using letter punches as brands. That's what I've done on much of my wood sculpture (Google blythinart.com). What you might also consider is making a full brand with wire that you heat with a propane torch then apply. I've made a brand with a thin strip of flat steel, shaping it like cursive so that all the letters are attached. Lots of options.

I used K&K for a number of guitars until my X7 electric--Alistair recommended that I try the Barbera, which I did. It has a nice balance and I'm liking it.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:19 AM

As far as balance goes I prefer a heavy bass presence. My goal is to get down to 2 guitars when I retire, this X20 for playing outside the house and a Martin D35 for inside the house.

Well OK maybe 1 more, my Yamaha Silent for late night practice.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
If you want to stick with K+K (and I understand that!), have you looked at the soundhole tuners like this:
https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-Micr.../dp/B018K9K034

I purchased two and I like them so much I am getting one for every guitar. Then my Snarks will be for electric guitars/basses only.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 04-04-2018, 11:07 AM

I thought I had seen a pdf with all the Emerald options listed which included all the different electronic systems they have/do install. I can't find that list now that I have to make final decisions on all the options. The thing I'm talking about is a lot more detailed than what I can find on their website.

Maybe it's something Alistair will email me next week when he gets back. Have you guys seen what I'm talking about and know where there's a copy?

Edit: I did find a 2014 price list pdf. But, it's not the one I've seen with the various specific pickups.

Last edited by jwellsy; 04-04-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
If you want to stick with K+K (and I understand that!), have you looked at the soundhole tuners like this:
https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-Micr.../dp/B018K9K034

I purchased two and I like them so much I am getting one for every guitar. Then my Snarks will be for electric guitars/basses only.
Thanks Gordon, I hadn't seen small soundhole tuners like that. I use a couple of small headstock clip on ones that small. I'll have to try these.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:33 PM

I just ordered one of those sound hole tuners this week and it should arrive today!
Old 04-04-2018, 07:35 PM

Have you guys tried using 5 K&K mini transducers or the larger K&K 12 string transducers on a 6 string?
Old 04-04-2018, 08:15 PM

Gig bag vs hard case? I'm leaning towards just the hard case. Any of you guys using the gig bag? Seems to me that storing both is a waste of space. I wish they had an option for a rigid foam soft case like Yamaha has.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Gig bag vs hard case? I'm leaning towards just the hard case. Any of you guys using the gig bag? Seems to me that storing both is a waste of space. I wish they had an option for a rigid foam soft case like Yamaha has.
I like gig bags, but that Hiscox Lite Flight Case that Emerald uses is great - lighter than any of my other hard shell cases; nice fit.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I like gig bags, but that Hiscox Lite Flight Case that Emerald uses is great - lighter than any of my other hard shell cases; nice fit.
Thanks for that insight. I've never seen a Hiscox case in person. So, a light hard case sounds like an oxymoron.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber