The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-30-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
Exactly correct, except for semantics. Slows down and retards mean the same thing, it should read "slows down rather than prevents"
Right you are Roger, I did not pick my words correctly. Thanks for setting it straight.
Tom
Old 11-30-2013, 12:45 PM

Default inside finish

Many of the old Yamahas have the inside finished. The first time you see it is quite a shock. The inside is smooth and glossy. Don't know if that is one of the reasons for the great sound many say that old vintage yamahas possess. Jeff B
Old 12-02-2013, 04:25 AM

I work at Benedetto guitars and we also apply a very thin layer of shellac to our guitars. We sand it back so it doesn't look shiny at all. We do it for the sole purpose of slowing moisture as a few people have said. If you finish one side of wood it's good to do the same to the other side (if it's exposed). As far as the shellac having a different tone I can't tell a deference but maybe we don't apply as much as some people because if you apply enought I can see the wood getting stiff real quick!
Old 12-02-2013, 05:29 PM

John Monteleone shellacs the inside if his guitars. He has also been known to inlay inside, and a couple are covered in diamonds in there.

Ed Minch

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair