The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-11-2017, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Measurement from early 1950s ES, please...

Sorry, I just realized I had posted a question about an electric guitar on an acoustic guitar site. My mistake

Last edited by musicofanatic; 06-13-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:34 PM

Just out of total curiosity:
  • If the guitar is in fact "far beyond restorable condition" why would you go through the considerable trouble of converting it in the first place, with period-correct materials (which I'm sure didn't come cheap or easy) and to exact factory spec...?
  • With regard to added utility, according to Andre Duchossoir (Gibson Electrics: The Classic Years):
    Quote:
    ...Notwithstanding a twin-pickup assembly, the non-cutaway shape of the ES-300 gradually proved a handicap...
    I've played a number of post-war 17" ES-150's during my lifetime, and it was well-known among in-the-trenches guys that these made excellent dual-purpose instruments, with acoustic tone/volume that rivaled many a contemporary L-7 (owned a very early A-Series white-label/script-logo L-7, so I speak from experience). With the revival of interest in archtops in general (many of which have suspended pickups in the name of full acoustic capability), this old archtop guy would tend to think that the single-PU ES-300 (essentially an upscale post-war ES-150) would be of far greater overall utility, in addition to the substantial period vibe - which leads me to:
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by musicofanatic View Post
    ...I am updating a late-1940s single pickup ES-300 to a 1949-52 version by adding a bridge pickup...I already have the period-appropriate P-90, additional knob and circuit diagram, and commensurate luthier skllls/experience..
    Again speaking as an old archtop guy, I'm aware that the twin-pickup version overlapped the remaining stock of single-PU 300's by several months and, as was common practice for Gibson (among others), both styles were available for a brief time; furthermore, I'm also aware that the twin P-90 version - particularly the earliest examples from the first half of '49 - when/if one comes up for sale nets substantially more on the market, even as a resto/refin...
Me, I'd keep it as is and enjoy it for what it is...

Sorry I can't help with the measurements you need...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 06-12-2017 at 07:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-12-2017, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

See original post. Sorry, I am on the wrong site.

Last edited by musicofanatic; 06-13-2017 at 02:04 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops