The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2020, 01:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
A genius idea...20 years ago!
Apple is up 115% in the past 52 weeks just FYI.

I’d keep the guitars. I have way too many, but people here look at guitars as investments. I don’t. My friends ski, surf, have expensive sports cars that depreciate, golf - and at golf club memberships that cost over $1000 a month, let alone that non refundable buy in. Golf clubs are almost worthless once the new models come out and they come out every single year. Oh, and boats or horses! That’s where your fun comes from; your disposable income. But yours is not disposed like those ski lift tickets for the family last year or those old golf clubs.

If you don’t need the money and already have retirement paid for then get that enjoyment every few months. That’s your hard earned disposable income that’s giving you enjoyment. Isn’t that why you bought them in the first place? They are certainly not gaining in value, but probably not losing much more than the day you walked out of the music store. Bourgeois guitars have price increases each year as good wood gets more and more rare, making your guitar actually stay relatively stable in price. I’d much rather buy a mint, hand made 20 year old guitar at 50% of its cost in 2000 than a mint, one year old guitar at 60% of its cost in 2019.

If steel strings are harder to play as you age buy some extra light strings - you’re playing for yourself not “out canon-ing” someone in a bluegrass jam. Once they no longer give you that joy, only then move them on.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
Apple is up 115% in the past 52 weeks just FYI.
Yes, a lot of things are way up the past 52 weeks. Next 20 years is a different question.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
Yes, a lot of things are way up the past 52 weeks
....except used guitars (As I know to my personal cost)
Old 01-23-2020, 04:23 PM

Default same question

I have a similar dilemma.

Since I got my Taylor its all I play. So easy to play and just feels and sounds right.

In the past I rotated but I've been focusing on playing and not collecting and my GAS is completely gone. I think I'm actually having a little break through in my playing, feeling more fluent in the language of music and that may be part of it. I just have this hollow feeling about leaving fine and expensive instruments in their case.

So I've started thinking of selling my Bourgeois, keeping my Gibson as a backup (Its been my out of the house guitar for years now).

But I have an identity crisis whenever I think of selling it. I thought it was my keeper for life pride and joy and I always was looking out for a possible new guitar to compliment it. But I'm getting ready to retire and I'm pretty sure I will never go back to collecting. Dang, I'm getting old? wtf?
Old 01-23-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
....except used guitars (As I know to my personal cost)
Yeah, I have a guitar I'm selling...no nibbles for a couple months now....
Old 01-23-2020, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
If it were me I'd sell 2 and keep one. That way if steel itch ever reappeared I would be prepared and not get GAS.
^^^ This was my thought too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion