The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-13-2024, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkillips View Post
If you play in DADGAD or some other tuning a lot and so have a guitar dedicated to it, do you use a custom string set?
Yes

For the past 30+ years, I've used an extremely uncommon open tuning on one of my 12-strings - DADfcd - and out of necessity have developed a set of string gauges that intonates reasonably well and feels balanced under my fingers

Obviously, with a 12-string the total tension load on the guitar is a major factor that needs to be kept in mind at all times. Trying to use a set of strings intended for standard tuning just doesn't work out well with this tuning, thus the need to tweak the gauges to suit. The key to making this work for me was the calculator generously provided to the musical community by luthier Graham McDonald of Australia

The McDonald Patent Universal String Tension Calculator

I highly recommend it

https://www.martinshenandoahguitars.info/
Old 02-15-2024, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Yes I agree, using a medium 1st and 2nd string adds depth (tone) to DADGAD and lower tunings and probably intonation as well, as Doug pointed out. I've also used "DADGAD" sets and liked them.

I think that practice, regular recording and listening to yourself play has a greater impact on tone than the strings which is the point I was attempting to make, I think we (especially me) geek out too much on certain things.

Which probably has nothing to do with the question the OP was asking anyway.
Ha! Well, yes and no. The reason I originally started creating my own DADGAD sets was because my technique wasn't very good, so I could easily push looser strings out of position and end up with intonation issues. So at first, it was a very deliberate way to correct for bad technique. But that was 15 years ago! Now it's just habit, which got me thinking. This has been a pretty good discussion.
Taylor 522-CE 12-fret (DADGAD, etc.)
1969 Gibson C-1 Classical ("Daisy")
2007 Walden G570 ("Colleen")
Fender Standard Stratocaster ("Belle")
Epiphone Les Paul Standard ("Smokey")
Kit-built Tele-style ("Hazel")
Old 02-15-2024, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPicks View Post
Yes

For the past 30+ years, I've used an extremely uncommon open tuning on one of my 12-strings - DADfcd - and out of necessity have developed a set of string gauges that intonates reasonably well and feels balanced under my fingers

Obviously, with a 12-string the total tension load on the guitar is a major factor that needs to be kept in mind at all times. Trying to use a set of strings intended for standard tuning just doesn't work out well with this tuning, thus the need to tweak the gauges to suit. The key to making this work for me was the calculator generously provided to the musical community by luthier Graham McDonald of Australia

The McDonald Patent Universal String Tension Calculator

I highly recommend it
I think this is what I first used!
Taylor 522-CE 12-fret (DADGAD, etc.)
1969 Gibson C-1 Classical ("Daisy")
2007 Walden G570 ("Colleen")
Fender Standard Stratocaster ("Belle")
Epiphone Les Paul Standard ("Smokey")
Kit-built Tele-style ("Hazel")
Old 02-15-2024, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I think that practice, regular recording and listening to yourself play has a greater impact on tone than the strings which is the point I was attempting to make, I think we (especially me) geek out too much on certain things.
Absolutely, this is the "is it the player or the gear?" question, right?. The player potentially has a far great impact than *just* changing some gear aspect, like strings, or the guitar. Listening, recording and listening back, etc, all can have a big impact if you make improvements based on what you hear. But combine that with the right gear, whatever that means, and you'll have the best of both worlds.

The devils' in the details. I actually have a guitar strung with straight extra-lights at the moment - 10s. Haven't tried that in a long time, but I like it, sounds very good. But if I listen carefully, the treble strings are a bit thinner than I'm used to.
Old 02-15-2024, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

I like the GHS string set made for Dadgad.
There are plenty of manufacturers that have a set out there to try.
Have fun.
Old 02-18-2024, 08:33 AM
Tune Up Guitars

I do a lot of alternate tunings and I typically like Daddario medium 13-56 on my 25.5" scale guitars. But, 12-53 work fine too. I just have to be a little careful not to play as hard or push the strings around too much.
YouTube Channel

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion