The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 09-01-2017, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Default ** 2009 (Ft. Bragg) GOODALL - CJc -"The Holy Grail!": NO LONGER FOR SALE

NO LONGER FOR SALE.

Offering my "Holy Grail" 2009 (Ft. Bragg) Goodall CJc for your consideration. I refer to this as the Holy Grail Goodall as it combines all the best of Jame's personally hand crafted work: AAA Brazilian back and sides, Master grade Adirondack top, Extra curly Koa body and headstock bindings, bent cutaway, in his most desirable CJ body style, personally made by James and Luke in their Ft. Bragg shop. This is an extremely rare Goodall, and one of the finest to emerge from James shop.

Specs:
* Completed: December 17, 2009 in Ft. Bragg shop
* AAA Brazilian Rosewood back, sides and peg head veneer
* Master Grade Adirondack spruce top (can use light or medium strings)
* Abalone rosette with slotted Mother of Perl diamond fretboard inlay
* Bent cutaway
* Gotoh 510 Gold tuners with ebony buttons
* Extra Curly Koa body and headstock bindings
* Ebony: fretboard, fretboard binding, bridge, bridge pins, Bone nut & saddle
* Mahogany neck
* Clear pick guard
* Includes Original Ameritage humidity control case - mint condition as well
* String Spacing: 1 ¾" Nut; 2 ¼" Saddle
* 15 ⅞" Lower bout width
* 4 ⅜" Depth
* Scale length: 25.5"

In January 2016 I visited James at his shop in Ft. Bragg with this guitar. (He is located 7 hours from me). At that time I had James remove an LR Baggs Anthem PUP installed by previous owner (I'm not a fan of UST's nor do I like the preamp, battery and other electronics inside my guitars), and install a K&K Pure Mini passive pickup - both James and my favorite PUP. James also did a complete set up and thoroughly inspected the guitar - pronouncing it "awesome" and one of their best guitars ever. (I don't think he was biased!). No issues whatsoever. Here is the link to the thread I posted from this visit to the Goodall shop:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=418067

Sound:
Everything you would expect from a Goodall guitar with this amazing wood combination! "Choirs of angels" comes to my mind every time I play it. I still get an ear to ear grin when playing this - it has that "something special" that sets a great guitar above all others. Truly stunning crystal clarity, balance, and that renowned Goodall sound times 10! Finger style on this thing absolutely blows me away. And of course when strummed, the note separation and balance brings out something in the chords that I have not heard in any other guitar. It is truly one of the finest guitars I've come across, especially at this price. (I can guarantee that this will exceed your expectations!).

Condition:
I've used this a handful of times at church for very special services. Otherwise, this guitar has been restricted to my music room, and always stored in it's case when not being played. I live in the ideal "guitar climate" so temperature and humidity are never an issue here (average 70 degrees and 45-50% humidity year round), though being over-obsessive with my guitars I still monitor the humidity in all my guitar cases and in my music room.
I've gone over it carefully and there are only a few almost imperceptible marks on the guitar that I can find. There is a tiny (⅛") indent on the lower bout binding, but you really have to look for it to see it. There is a very, very slight, tiny impression on the back of the headstock near the 2nd string tuner, and an even smaller, imperceptible impression on the back of the neck - you cannot feel it and you almost need a magnifying glass to see it. You really have to look carefully in the right light at the right angle to see these. These are impossible to photograph, and quite frankly, for a guitar that is over 7 years old it is about as perfect as one could hope for. There are the usual faint marks on the headstock from string changes (could probably be polished out, but they are so faint I don't think it's worth attempting), and some slight pick swirl-marks on the clear pick guard.

Current price to build this guitar today (with Ameritage case) is in the $16,000 range. I'm offering this world class, Goodall for ** No Longer For Sale***.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.
- Edith Wharton, writer

Last edited by Coastman; 11-12-2017 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Fixed links and added youtube link
Old 09-01-2017, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful instrument. Good luck with the sale.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Super nice! What a beauty. Wish I was not over-extended.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:54 AM
Charter Member

Default Gorgeous guitar....

This is a beauty, bet it sings. I've owned both the Braz & Madi versions of this model and they were incredible instruments. But nothing beats my "stock" Goodall RCJ in sitka/EIR which will be with me forever. But if I had the spare money, I wouldn't be able to resist snagging this one too. Looks fabulous! Best of luck to you.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Thank you Jamiejoon, raggamuffin & nealdealdylan! It is a gorgeous guitar. Even nicer in person. But it sounds even better than it looks. I still get an ear to ear grin when I play it. Just an amazing guitar!

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.
- Edith Wharton, writer
Old 09-02-2017, 09:55 AM

if it plays as good as she looks WOW does it have a clear pick guard?
Old 09-02-2017, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donter View Post
if it plays as good as she looks WOW does it have a clear pick guard?
Yes, it has a clear pick guard. Pretty typical on James's guitars.

- Edith Wharton, writer
Old 09-03-2017, 10:42 AM
Music soothes the soul!

I can vouch for this guitar since it lived with me for a time. Prime example of Jim's best work. Nothing but good things to say about the seller too! Deal in confidence. GLWTS
Old 09-03-2017, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
I can vouch for this guitar since it lived with me for a time. Prime example of Jim's best work. Nothing but good things to say about the seller too! Deal in confidence. GLWTS
Hey Dennis! Good to hear from you. Thanks for the kind words! As you well know, this is an incredible guitar. I hate letting it go but a confluence of life events is dictating that I have to. I know I will have pains of regret down the road, but such is life.

- Edith Wharton, writer
Old 09-04-2017, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

While I don't have the ability to post a sound clip of this amazing guitar, I did find a video of another Brazilian Goodall (link below). Scroll to about the 3:00 mark to hear the demo. This is a GCc, which is a slightly smaller body than my CJc, so expect an even bigger sound from mine. Also this has an Italian top, vs. the Adirondack on mine...but they share the same sonic clarity, shimmering notes, excellent harmonic balance, and endless sustain. The "choir of angels" is present in both. Oh, and the other difference: You can buy mine for almost $6,000 LESS than the one on the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neLe7N9b-1Y

- Edith Wharton, writer

Last edited by Coastman; 09-05-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:14 PM

I am a little surprised it's still here for sale, temptation. What city are you in?
Old 09-04-2017, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donter View Post
I am a little surprised it's still here for sale, temptation. What city are you in?
Arroyo Grande (Pismo Beach).

- Edith Wharton, writer
Old 09-05-2017, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Bump for an extraordinary guitar and a great seller. This will be an heirloom guitar for someone.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Liv View Post
Bump for an extraordinary guitar and a great seller. This will be an heirloom guitar for someone.
Thanks Don! Hope all is great with you!

- Edith Wharton, writer
Old 09-06-2017, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Default Fixed and added links to original post

Fixed and added a link to my original post: I just found out the the link to the thread re: my visit with James Goodall was not working. My apologies. I just fixed it. I also added the link to a video of a Brazilian Goodall that is nearly identical to mine.

- Edith Wharton, writer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
brazilian, cjc, goodall