The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-27-2021, 09:14 PM

Default Vibrating metronomes

Anyone have some experience using these? I know of the Peterson BodyBeat Sync and the BodyBeat Pulse Solo, but IÂ’m also open to others if they exist. Can you feel distinct enough vibrations at 130, 140, 145, maybe even 165 BPM is my main question.

I love playing along with my metronome but I go through a battery every 10-14 days. IÂ’m definitely getting a new one that I can either run off an AC adapter or USB and or repeatedly charge like the Peterson. I also want one I. An program at least 10 presets and adjust the volume of the clicks.

The only other AC adapter metronomes I know of are the Boss DB 90, and the Tama RW200. Everything else IÂ’ve checked seems to run on batteries exclusively. Suggestions.
Old 09-03-2021, 04:31 PM

I went ahead and bought the Peterson BodyBeat Sync. I tried the vibrating clip in multiple places, including multiple places along my waistline, in and clipped to my pants pocket, and clipped to the cuff of my jeans. I could feel the vibrating pulse distinctly enough, though on the cuff it was a bit harder to keep track of when it was going fast. But generally, the pulse is strong and sharp enough to play along with even at fast tempos. I can’t speak to the unit’s longevity, obviously, but I’m keeping it and will use it daily from here on out.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:09 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Have you heard of a Buttkicker "thumper"? A lot of touring drummers use them. It is a speaker driver that vibrates the drum throne to a signal you feed into it. A drummer can put his kick drum into it but many put a low frequency metronome in to guide them instead. It is adjustable for the strength of the pulse. We've actually got one in our TV studio kit because the touring drummers request one so often for a metronome feed.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-03-2021, 06:46 PM

I tried one of these and couldn't get used to it. Felt like I was receiving a low grade electric shock in time to the music. I use a drum pedal now for practice and tempo improvement.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 09-03-2021, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

I tried one and found it quite irritating. It reminded me of being on a long flight with a little kid sitting behind me and constantly kicking the back of my seat or of somebody constantly tapping me on the shoulder.

The kid situation actually happened and is unfortunately rather common.

If you like that kind of thing, then this is the metronome for you.

Tony
Old 09-03-2021, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

I had a soundbrenner pulse. Absolutely brilliant idea - it even could sync everyone to the same beat.

The problem is with the physics of the system: the rotating motor has to accelerate (spool up) to speed then run, then decelerate to a stop.

So the pulse was never distinct it sort of faded in and out each time. Yes you knew when each pulse happened but you could never really tell when each pulse started or stopped so it made it unusable ( to me and everyone else I read reviews from).

Great idea - failed execution

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 09-08-2021, 09:15 PM

I'd be interested to try one, but for the price and possible glitches due to the tech, it might not be worth it. I think it's one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it" situations.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write