The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-15-2021, 07:12 PM

Default new chord voicing finder tool

Hi everyone, I’m new to this community but I’ve been a guitarist for decades. In the quest for a better understanding of guitar harmony and for more unique and creative chord voicings, I wrote myself this app. I think it is unique, extremely easy to use, and I find it very useful for myself. At first I wanted to keep it to myself as a “secret weapon” but on further consideration I decided to share it freely with the guitar community at large. I am curious to see if others find it as useful as I do. I hope this becomes an integral part of your exploration into guitar harmony. It may not be “finished” yet, as I am open to suggestions for improvement.

https://fineincrements.com/guitarmonizer.html
Old 09-16-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fineincrements View Post
Hi everyone, I’m new to this community but I’ve been a guitarist for decades. In the quest for a better understanding of guitar harmony and for more unique and creative chord voicings, I wrote myself this app. I think it is unique, extremely easy to use, and I find it very useful for myself. At first I wanted to keep it to myself as a “secret weapon” but on further consideration I decided to share it freely with the guitar community at large. I am curious to see if others find it as useful as I do. I hope this becomes an integral part of your exploration into guitar harmony. It may not be “finished” yet, as I am open to suggestions for improvement.

https://fineincrements.com/guitarmonizer.html

Bookmarked it for later. This seems like a cool tool!
Old 09-16-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Bookmarked it for later. This seems like a cool tool!
Thanks! yea my whole approach was something more simple and straightforward than "memorize these bajillion chord diagrams"
Old 09-16-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fineincrements View Post
Thanks! yea my whole approach was something more simple and straightforward than "memorize these bajillion chord diagrams"

Thank you for sharing!
Old 09-16-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Thank you for sharing!
my pleasure
Old 09-16-2021, 06:27 PM

Just bear in mind that this does not show chord formations, it shows all the notes in a given chord. For example, if I select "F" and "min7", I can see every note on the fretboard that is in an Fm7 chord, but I don't see any actual grips that I can copy to play an Fm7.

To the OP: Wow, I just re-read your post, and I'm impressed that you wrote this app, that's very cool. I am a software engineer, but I only work with boring stuff, and I have no idea how to write a web-based app.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
Just bear in mind that this does not show chord formations, it shows all the notes in a given chord. For example, if I select "F" and "min7", I can see every note on the fretboard that is in an Fm7 chord, but I don't see any actual grips that I can copy to play an Fm7.

To the OP: Wow, I just re-read your post, and I'm impressed that you wrote this app, that's very cool. I am a software engineer, but I only work with boring stuff, and I have no idea how to write a web-based app.
Hey thanks so much! You are correct, it requires that the user choose a voicing, and makes it very simple to find a chord formation by giving each note name a color, so you just find a place where you can play all the colors. the user is responsible for choosing a fingering that works - so you have to be comfortable enough to figure that out for yourself. if you click a note, it soloes that note for the string and you can click empty frets to mute the entire string. In this fashion, you can clear away what is not part of your voicing and get a clean representation. i've had a few people tell me this will be very helpful for them in teaching guitar lessons.

What I find the most useful for my own compositions, is the ability to open several tabs of this program, one for each chord in the progression, and then choose voicings that flow nicely from one to the next. I also commonly uncheck the root, which the bass instrument usually plays, and possibly another chord part played by the main melody, which really cleans up the composition so instruments don't step on each other's toes, giant 5-part jazz chords can be inverted every which way without having to do much thinking about it, let alone years of study.

People have different ways of learning and different types of musical work they are doing. For some, memorizing a bunch of disparate diagrams doesn't do much to help them connect the whole fretboard and really understand how guitar harmony works in a composition. They are possibly not trying to invest a lot in noodling around or becoming virtuoso performers, but rather composers/recording artists/EDM producers trying to get things done fast. I myself grew quite frustrated with the lack of guidance on this subject, and couldn't find a chord tool that did exactly what I needed, so I built this for myself. I can only assume there are a lot of others like me. Based on the pretty much unanimously positive feedback I've been getting across various platforms so far, I'd say that assumtion is panning out.

My purpose in sharing it is to help a lot of people simplify a complex problem and get more done in less time. it's just a broad goodwill effort towards the guitar community. There are already too many "chord diagram" databases. I'm sure lots of people love those. This is for people who would prefer to have something more immediately straight to the point and practical in finding the perfect voicings needed for a particular song or something. Anyway, I really appreciate you taking the time to check it out and offer your feedback. It means a lot to me since i'm new to programming and this is my first web application ever.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
chord, finder, fretboard, tuning, voicing