The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-10-2020, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Rich Severson does some good demo YouTubes of the Quilter Micropro. This one is from 2012 and uses the same guitar and amp that I own. He has newer demos with newer Quilter models.

I love everything about the original Micropro 8, except for the tremolo which is decent but doesn't match that found in a good Fender tube amp to my ears.

Never tried vocals through my amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOjXBLlFn38
Old 12-11-2020, 01:36 PM

I use the Quilter Tone Block/Block Dock 10

https://youtu.be/ZWjLd3BAGpw

It’s a real 50w output too! Plenty for me in an 18 piece jazz orchestra and with its compactness I can fit in beside the 4th trombone chair easily.

BTW fourth trombonists are often very entertaining cats!

Last edited by hanknc; 12-11-2020 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:06 PM

Long time Acoustic Image Clarus 2R Series III user with a Raezer's Edge Twin 8 speaker cab. Great portability and plenty of clean, warm head room.

Also own and like the following (not in any particular order):

Fender 68 Custom Princeton Reverb
Polytone Megabyte
Polytone Minibrute II
Roland JC22
Henriksen Bud 6

And multiple speaker cabinets to go with the AI Clarus:

Raezer's Edge Stealth 12
Redstone Audio RS12
Redstone Audio RS10
Redstone Audio RS8

...but the AI Clarus w/Raezer's Edge Twin 8 is my all-time favorite.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:43 PM

Sorry. I just noticed you specified COMBO AMPS in the title of this thread and I mentioned the AI w/Raezer's Edge cab.

Of the combo amps I've owned and played, I'm a big fan of the Fender 68 Custom Princeton Reverb. Not a lightweight amp to be sure, but sort of the poor man's Deluxe Reverb. Sounds nice but a bummer to carry to the gig.

If I had to choose one of my solid state combos, I've used the Roland JC22 more than the others. I used to use the Polytones a lot in the old days, but I just think the JC22 has a nicer, cleaner tone, a nice reverb and it's quiet.

I just got the Henriksen in the last year, and haven't used it much. It's the lightest of the amps I have and seems like a nice quality amp.

At the end of the day, I choose the aforementioned Clarus. I know you're looking for a combo. You've gotten some great suggestions. Good luck!
Old 12-16-2020, 02:12 AM

+1 for Henriksen bud ten.

The 5-band eq for each channel is very useful. People trends to set it neutral and affect of touching it, but it's not only for decoration. If you really want to have a good tone, you need to twist it a bit or even a big turn.

For people who like the tube sound, I add a tube preamp (Radial firefly) before the Henriksen, it helps a lot. Of course there's Henriksen solution (The Forte) if that's what you want.

Others are:
  1. Volume is more than sufficient.
  2. Reverb is nice.
  3. It has a headphone output
  4. Only 20Ibs

I bought my Henriksen the bud ten at the beginning of 2020, still love it so much!

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 12-17-2020, 07:45 AM

Good stuff, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
+1 for Henriksen bud ten.

The 5-band eq for each channel is very useful. People trends to set it neutral and affect of touching it, but it's not only for decoration. If you really want to have a good tone, you need to twist it a bit or even a big turn.

For people who like the tube sound, I add a tube preamp (Radial firefly) before the Henriksen, it helps a lot. Of course there's Henriksen solution (The Forte) if that's what you want.

Others are:
  1. Volume is more than sufficient.
  2. Reverb is nice.
  3. It has a headphone output
  4. Only 20Ibs

I bought my Henriksen the bud ten at the beginning of 2020, still love it so much!
Old 01-15-2021, 02:02 PM

Raezer's Edge has come out with their own line of solid state amplifiers and combos. The Centauri Hybrid combo looks like an impressive amp with a high voltage tube preamp and class D poweramp. Very light, 200 watts and a variety of speaker combinations available. From the demos I've seen and because of the speaker choices/open back, I suspect that I would choose this over the Henriksen:

https://www.raezers-edge.com/products/centauri-hybrid/

There is a good thread on Jazzguitar.be about it, including video demos:

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guit...aezer%27s+edge
Old 01-20-2021, 10:56 AM

Roland Cube 30 works well for me.
Fishman Loudbox does not have the right sound with the Archtop.
I have a Peavey delta blues amp, but I don't use it much. I sounds good with the archtop but it is a bit large.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of the Sa View Post
...I have a Peavey Delta Blues amp, but I don't use it much. It sounds good with the archtop but it is a bit large.
I'd be very surprised if it didn't - a mid-powered tube amp with a 15" speaker is a classic early jazz amp if there ever was one...
Old 01-21-2021, 09:39 AM

A Roland Blues Cube. I have a BC-60 from the '90's. Built like a tank solid state with nice, sweet fat sound.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:08 AM

I've been using the Bud10 (Henriksen) exclusively for several weeks. It's exceeding my expectations. I've yet to perform "out" with it but have been using it exactly in the way I plan to use it out.

- Heritage H-575 guitar into channel 1
- Dynamic vocal mic (Shure Beta57A) into channel 2 for vocals.

The eq is powerful and I'm able to dial in excellent tone on both sound sources. The reverb is nice, not the best, but perfectly usable.

The compact size and weight is exceptional. Good build, smart design. Bluetooth can be a little glitchy.

With just this amp (no other PA) I expect I'll be able to provide plenty of sound for the performances I have this winter/spring.

So far no regrets all at with this amp.

Last edited by cheer tunes; 01-24-2021 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:05 PM

I have a Peavey delta blues amp, but I don't use it much. I sounds good with the archtop but it is a bit large.

I forgot to say it is the 2 10 model. 2 10inch speakers. It does have a good bass tone.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:51 AM
Charter Member

Default Jazz amps....

Anybody have experience and comments on the heavy Schertler "Charlie" vs Schertler Jam 400? After an archtop hiatus, I have a birth year ES-175 and two year later '56 ES-175 DN inbound. Unfortunately, I sold my mint '77 Polytone Mini Brute II and JC-120 when I sold the '65 ES-175 and a few 335's about a dozen years ago.

Looking for that smooth jazz sounding amp. I have a Schertler Jam 400 that I use for acoustics in home, a Fender Mustang III v.2 for Strat and Tele and a Fishman SA220 that I used for playing out.

Looking to you jazz pros and aficionados to see if you think my Jam 400, Mustang modeling amp and or SA220 might suffice or if I should consider a Schertler "Charlie", Henriksen, AER 60 or?

Of course I'll have a little better perspective by end of week after the 175's land.

Thanks gang!

Robbypad
Old 03-23-2021, 06:35 AM

The Roland JC-22 doesn't get a lot of press but has many good reviews.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Default Jazz Amps for archtop guitars

Thanks m_g!

I will do research on the JC-22. I've noticed its model but hadn't been provoked into reading about it and examining reviews and specs. I am guessing because I liked my little 1977 Polytone Mini Brute II better than my JC-120.

I am interested to know your opinion on the comparison of the JC-22 and the JC-120.

Now to read about the 22.

Thanks again for your input!

Robbypad
Bruce

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops