The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-16-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
Rudy, thanks for the advice. I have used deck screws to help register like that. They come with Robertson heads here that work better than the Philips heads on the drywall screws.

I like your edge sander. I assume it is radiused?
Yup, it has a radius cut into the piece or 2 by 4 and has the ends bandsawn away to make easy to grasp handles.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:38 PM

I'm not that great with computers, but I'd really like to see how you build a guitar body without a mold. Thanks, Danny Gray
Old 09-21-2021, 10:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan of SC View Post
I'm not that great with computers, but I'd really like to see how you build a guitar body without a mold. Thanks, Danny Gray
I’ve got nearly 10 years of pictures and advice on the subject in my nearby “Sexauer/21” thread in the AGF Custom Shop which is serial-linked back to its beginning.

People often suggest to me that my methods take more skill than conventional mold systems, but I doubt that. It’s just that so few take my path that it seems to have more mystery. Building in the air, as some call moldless construction, is simpler, faster, more versatile (by far), and the end result can have less latent tension in it which makes a more responsive instrument. Like with everything, practice makes perfect.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan of SC View Post
The traditional Spanish method doesn't use a mold. The top is braced and clamped down to a work board (Spanish solera). Then the top and tail blocks are glued to the soundboard. The sides are bent and held into place by clamps along the outline of the guitar. The sides are glued to the blocks and then individual triangular pieces (tentalones) are glued to the top and sides making the 'linings' that hold the top to the sides. Then the back is braced and clamped on. I believe this is the way Bruce does it.

The other method, which is what I tend to use though I have done the tentalones before too, is to bend the sides and then glue in the kerfed linings then glue the side to the top and blocks as seen here: https://www.tiktok.com/@piusone/vide...81200673441285
Old 09-21-2021, 03:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

While Redir has accurately sketched my method, I did not learn the Spanish method as being thus. As I learned it, there was a female form on top of the solara. I started with 5 layers of 3/4" material and dropped a layer at a time until, at one layer, I realized that it was actually in the way.

The essential "secret" to my method is realizing that three point contact on a dished surface (the "solara") can be used to establish the sides as a plum surface. The two ends are a given, and the waist is the deeper point. The depth of this third point can be established with a ruler and a straight edge, and the sides can be run from both ends on a carefully adjusted jointer leaving a step in the middle of the right height. Then, when clamped down to the top on the solara at both ends and the waist, the sides will be perpendicular to the top throughout. What could be easier?
Old 09-22-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I’ve got nearly 10 years of pictures and advice on the subject in my nearby “Sexauer/21” thread in the AGF Custom Shop which is serial-linked back to its beginning.
I just looked through 19 pages of Sexauer21. I don't really know what serial linked means but I can't find pictures or much in the way of advice there. Would you be nice enough to add a link ?
Old 09-23-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I just looked through 19 pages of Sexauer21. I don't really know what serial linked means but I can't find pictures or much in the way of advice there. Would you be nice enough to add a link ?
I can't seem to find much here either, I am interested in this method. Thanks, Danny Gray
Old 09-23-2021, 03:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Serial linked means that if you go to the first page of a given thread, sexauer/21 for instance, there is a link in the first post which will take you to the previous section of my ten years of thread segments. In this case to Sexauer/20, chapter 3, or something like that. Then if you go to the first post in that segment you ca get to chapter 2, rinse and repeat.

This is not a lesson series, it is real time documentation of my building process. I attempt to write about different aspect of it at different times, but there is much redundancy. One of my fans, Tim Allen, is assembling a more coherent synopsis of these threads, and eventually I expect to post it on my website. Meanwhile, if you look at pictures and read the odd snippet, I expect the average person could extract a workable process for themselves. Perhaps it is to as simple as it seems to me . . . but it does seem pretty straight forward.

As has always been true, if a person who has embraced on this path runs into road blocks, I am willing to answer legitimate questions. I am willing to tutor, but not to teach.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Serial linked means that if you go to the first page of a given thread, sexauer/21 for instance, there is a link in the first post which will take you to the previous section of my ten years of thread segments. In this case to Sexauer/20, chapter 3, or something like that. Then if you go to the first post in that segment you ca get to chapter 2, rinse and repeat. .
Thanks, I was able to find some of the threads/chapters and did a search for "mold" within them and was able to find some info/pics. I will continue as time permits.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, I was able to find some of the threads/chapters and did a search for "mold" within them and was able to find some info/pics. I will continue as time permits.
I just ran this google search and every hit (that I looked at) seemed to be
on topic:

site:acousticguitarforum.com sexauer mold

-Mike
Old 09-24-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
I just ran this google search and every hit (that I looked at) seemed to be
on topic:

site:acousticguitarforum.com sexauer mold

-Mike
That's the way to do it using Google site feature. In fact one could probably assemble a book with all of Bruces, Carruths, Gore, Klepper and so on responses.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair