The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 03-25-2019, 09:38 PM

Default Kalamazoo KHG-14/HG-00 Factory X-Brace 1936 Sunburst **lower price** $1900 shipped

Lot of guitar for not a lot of money. This thing plays awesome, has a huge, comfortable V-shape neck. I'm only selling because I scored a dream guitar: 1932 tuxedo L-00. Have to make room. Here's from my reverb post:

Rare factory X-braced Kalamazoo KHG-14; it's basically an HG-00 without a truss rod. This was originally listed on Reverb by Antique Fretted Instruments, who did the conversion to "Spanish" style from the original Hawaiian setup. I've only seen one other factory X-braced Kalamazoo, which is currently listed at Vintage Instruments in Philadelphia. This guitar is in ridiculous condition, the finish on the top looks almost new, with minor scratches on the back. There's plenty of saddle left to adjust the action.

I tried to photograph the front of the headstock to show some slight gouges near the nut as well as a little smudge. There's also a slight smudge on the back of the neck, neither are all that noticeable. Just put on brand new Thomastik-Infield Plectrum Bronze stings which have a low tension and are a nice combo with the large neck.

Comes with a chipboard case that’s likely original.

Here's the description from their original post:

The guitar has recently been converted to Spanish style
Work done on guitar neck reset new replica bridge and maple bridge plate.
with over spray to the top. There is normal belly to the top every thing is holding great. The guitar is x braced nut with is a wide 1-7/8 and no truss rod.
all the work done on the guitar was done by Joel whitehead. The guitar comes with its original chipboard case. Please do notice there are lots of nicks chips dings and superficial blemishes all over the guitar. Please feel free to ask any other question you might have.

https://reverb.com/item/20635103-kal...-1936-sunburst

Last edited by mbilly; 03-27-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

I'm interested in the 1932 L-00 12 fret. Maybe you can post a new thread about it. I've been looking for one of those for years. Actually had one a while back but it was in rough shape......probably still should of kept it.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:42 PM

I just got the L-00 in, so I'll try to get some photos and do a new thread. It's in rough shape, but sounds great! And it's a 13 fret, so I couldn't pass that up.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

This is very interesting, sitting watching tv and beside it is my Waterloo WL-12 12 fret Kalamazoo in sitka and maple.

They really do look very similar although the original has a nicer burst, and through saddle.

I went for it 'cos I like 12 fretters but heard that Gibson/Kalamazoo never made a round neck 12 fretter.

Do you know what the back and sides are made of?
Old 03-27-2019, 04:04 PM

Back and sides are mahogany. I believe the only 12 fret Kalamazoos are the "Hawaiian" models.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:20 PM

price lowered
Old 04-06-2019, 02:38 PM

Saturday bump
Old 04-18-2019, 12:27 PM

Likely headed to consignment unless I get any interest in the next few days.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars