The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-21-2019, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Default Shorten StewMac Hot Rod?

I’ve designed an experimental banjo and ended up with only 17-3/4” for a truss rod. I’ve been searching for shorter truss rods, but none seem as well made as the hot rod.

Is there any way to shorten a Hot Rod by 1/4” ?
Old 03-21-2019, 08:15 AM

You could cut 1/4" off the end opposite the adjustment nut.

Does your design not accommodate an extra 1/4" of rod length?
Old 03-21-2019, 08:21 AM

Determine how long the end weld is. If only 1/4" you need to weld top bar to bottom rod. Cut off 1/4". Retaping is not critical at the end since rod movement at that point will be none or negligible.

I shortened a Martin double-acting rod the same way.

Edit: Looks like the rod has a threaded "nut" on both ends. Move nut toward other end, shorten rods.

Last edited by JonWint; 03-21-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:18 AM

Best I can figure, the threading of the shorter rod eliminates the need for welding/brazing.

I looked very quickly at one that I have sitting here. It wasn't immediately obvious to me how to assemble or dissassemble the rods/blocks. If they came apart easily, you'd simply cut off 1/4" of threading from the right end (in the picture above) and then reassemble. Failing that, I'd just remove 1/4" from the right end of the assembled rod: there is still plenty of engagement even if shortened by 1/4".

As an aside, I like the LMI rods better as they can be installed in a shallower slot.

(I used to make my own single-acting, double-rod truss rods, which are easy to make, but haven't "re-tooled" to make double-acting rods. Now I buy them.)
Old 03-26-2019, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

Default How many turns on hot rod

I just got the hot rod in the mail. Twisting the rods was easy. I’m tryibg to figure out how much thread I need to leave for adjustment. It looks like it only goes about one turn before the rod reaches its limit of bend. Does that sound about right?
Old 03-26-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I just got the hot rod in the mail. Twisting the rods was easy. I’m tryibg to figure out how much thread I need to leave for adjustment. It looks like it only goes about one turn before the rod reaches its limit of bend. Does that sound about right?
Yes.

For small amounts it's very easay to shorten the two way rod. Hold BOTH brass blocks and rotate the rods TOGETHER with your fingertips. The blocks will shorten their distance apart and you simply cut off the protruding amount.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair