The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-05-2019, 08:08 PM

PM sent

Ed
Old 03-07-2019, 01:14 PM

Got all of the taken apart for cleaning. The screws for the frog and frog adjuster screw were DEFIANT. Removing them boogered them up pretty well. One being near unusable. Buying a replacement at a hardware store caused 3 older fellas at ACE to scratch their heads. Everything was a tad off, or not a flat head, or the head was too big for the space.

What is your go-to for old parts? Besides ebay. I will hunt on ebay, but just wondered if you guys had ideas.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:49 PM

If it is a Stanley, they are all odd threads. One of the old tool geeks had a batch of taps and dies made a while back to fit the basic ones. The only 2 places I know of for replacement Stanley parts are Stanley itself, although they have been winding down in the past few years:

http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/planekits.html

or try this one; http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/number4usa.html

You can search backwards to the home page and find all sorts of things there

Also this guy. He always has an odd assorment, so make sure you know where the srew is (frog to bed screw, cap iron screw, etc) and give him a call:

https://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com

You might try cleaning up the threads with a 3 corner file, and the head with a file that fits the groove to deepen it, depending on where the problem is. In the future, put on a loosener-upper penetrating oil and let time do the work for you. I like PB Blaster. With proper support underneath and with a proper size beater screwdriver, seat the tool and hit it with a hammer to shock the area. Good luck

Oh, and also eBay but it's expensive

Ed
Old 03-07-2019, 07:55 PM

Ed's right that you won't get Stanley screw replacements at the hardware store.

There are lots of Stanley parts on Ebay. Too often you need to buy a whole trashed plane, though.

But old tool dealer Patrick Leach, author of the famous Stanley plane resource "Stanley Blood and Gore," will have just about anything at a fair price. [email protected]
Old 03-08-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby50 View Post
If it is a Stanley, they are all odd threads. One of the old tool geeks had a batch of taps and dies made a while back to fit the basic ones. The only 2 places I know of for replacement Stanley parts are Stanley itself, although they have been winding down in the past few years:

http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/planekits.html

or try this one; http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/number4usa.html

You can search backwards to the home page and find all sorts of things there

Also this guy. He always has an odd assorment, so make sure you know where the srew is (frog to bed screw, cap iron screw, etc) and give him a call:

https://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com

You might try cleaning up the threads with a 3 corner file, and the head with a file that fits the groove to deepen it, depending on where the problem is. In the future, put on a loosener-upper penetrating oil and let time do the work for you. I like PB Blaster. With proper support underneath and with a proper size beater screwdriver, seat the tool and hit it with a hammer to shock the area. Good luck

Oh, and also eBay but it's expensive

Ed
Thanks for all the replies. Stanley appears to be out of stock with everything listed. I will call the guy you mention, but I found what I need on EBay. Frog screws and washers (2 styles and threads per inch) all for 15 bucks with tax.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:37 PM

Update.

I am in the abyss. Not depression...

Old tools, hand planes, estate sales. Got Stanley number 4, 5(x2), 7, block plane, and the old wooden body plane I mention is a Keen Kutter.

Most old tools and elbow grease equal a restored tool that is better than a new one. Except for the mentioned Hock blade. I got one for a number 5.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaptonWannabe2 View Post
Update.

Most old tools and elbow grease equal a restored tool that is better than a new one. Except for the mentioned Hock blade.
I'd wanted a good large anvil for years. Was not ready to spring for new so settled for Harbor Freight. Finally, I'd heard about a rusty anvil sitting on an old well head. It was on the ground by the time I got there so I hauled it home and started work. Days of sandblasting, sanding, and polishing I brought a hundred year old 200 lb anvil back to life. I love old tools.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:12 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby50 View Post
The only places the sole of a plane have to be flat are at the toe, at the heel (both ends), and just behind the blade opening.
I know what you mean Ed , but I would tend to think of the required flat to be in front of the blade opening rather than behind.

Although I suppose it all depends on your vantage point ...
Old 03-26-2019, 03:38 PM

Default Old tools

I had a spot at a very big old tools swap, sale and auction 10 days ago, and the guy next to me had several antique anvils. Good ones go for up to $6-7 a pound, so a 200 pounder could cost $1400, and I have seen more. If you found a usable one at no cost - good on ya.

Tools that heavy tend to get cheaper as the day wears on

Ed

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair