The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-11-2001, 04:24 PM

Post Froggy Bottom guitars

Anybody here own or ever play a Froggy Bottom guitar? They are made in Vermont. If so, what did you think?
Old 12-11-2001, 04:55 PM

Hi Atlantis,

I don't own a Froggy Bottom, but I have played several before. All were extremely well-built, and had no setup/fit/finish problems. They sounded remarkable for fingerstyle; very clear, articulate notes with a very even sound. When strummed, I wasn't as impressed. The sound seemed compressed; the even sound was still there, but the notes didn't ring out as well individually as before.

All in all, I would definately give them a look. For my needs (70% fingerstyle) they would be a perfect fit. Once again, the strummed sound wasn't bad, just not what I was looking for. Hope this helped.
Old 12-13-2001, 12:31 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

I've played several of these guitars and they've all been exceptional. They are in a different league than Taylor. They are not mass-produced - you can tell there is a lot of hand work that goes into them. They feel lightweight and fairly fragile, and sound.... WOW! Very alive! I really like the sound of the smaller body Froggy Bottom guitars, which are excellent fingerstyle instruments.

If you want to hear one in action, check out Will Ackermans "Sound of Wind Driven Rain" CD. Beautiful CD with some of the most rich acoustic guitar sounds I've ever heard recorded. Will Ackerman uses a pair of "tweaked" U87 mics and boy do they sound good!

J.R.
Old 12-13-2001, 06:07 PM

Thanks ihs and J.R. I'll look for that CD. I would like to visit Froggy Bottom, they aren't that far from me.
Old 12-15-2001, 09:51 PM

Smile

Frogs don't have bums.
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification