The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-28-2001, 10:19 PM

Talking 510 for worship leading

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this group, just signed up today. I just bought a 510ce w/ E spruce top about a month ago and have been using it to lead worship at my church. I was just wondering if there are any others here who lead worship and which guitar they use. Thanks for you input.
Old 10-28-2001, 10:25 PM

I haven't lead for awhile, but when I was, I usually took my 655. A couple of times I took my Baby (which I don't have anymore).
Old 10-28-2001, 11:12 PM

I lead worship with my 414ce. I find the smaller body size of the x14 very comfortable to play and lead/sing at the same time. It handles the occasional fingerstyle/pick parts very well although I sometimes wish i had a x10 to handle the hard and fast strumming songs. i guess i need more than one taylor
Old 10-28-2001, 11:34 PM
I know that one

'97 410CE pushed straight through the a Yamaha digital board using a direct box. Able to get the desired sound fairly quickly whether it be strumming or fingerpicking. Sure helps to have a good sound man.
Old 10-28-2001, 11:36 PM

Talking

I use a 314ce with a Carvin Acoustic amp when I lead worship at our church. I love using the 314, it sounds great strumming and picking!
Old 10-28-2001, 11:41 PM
Charter Member

Hey Worship Guy, welcome to the Forum!

I lead worship using a 714CE most of the time and alternate it occasionaly with a 314KCE.
Nothing beats the sound of the Taylors for praise and worship in my opinion.
I used to use a Takamine dreadnought and a Takamine thinline but after I bought the 714 I ended up selling both since the Taylors were so much easier to play and were infinitely more comfortable to hold. You get spoiled real quick!
Lisa
Old 10-29-2001, 12:11 AM

I use my 314KCE when I play in Worchip. The Koa really cuts through well, but probably not as well as a 600 serise (I have never played one live). I am in the process of purchasing my 510 w/ Braz RW back and sides, no c and no e. I am anxious to see how it will fair playing "unplugged" I play sometimes with a keyboard, percussion, and electric along with my 314KCE and that is a blast, we seem to get great sound. I also play some with just guitar and a vocalists. Depending on the room size that I am playing in will sometimes depend on if I go plugged with the 314 or not. I am anxious to see how the 510B will fair in these situitations. Now I am new at all this live stuff, so I don't know a whole big bunch. Is it worth a try to play the 510 with the band when everyone else is plugged?? I will not be playing in a large room; does this make a differance? What situations should i expect the 510 to handle well and not so well?

<><
Mark
Old 10-29-2001, 01:42 AM

Hey worship_guy -

One of the great things about this forum is that a lot of the active members are Christians and a lot of us use our Taylors to lead worship. (these people tend to be nice too!)

It has been noted that worship leaders commonly play Taylor guitars. I was even in a music store once and the salesguy asked me out of the blue if I was in a church band - he said a lot of church people come in looking for Taylors.

I lead worship at my church with an 810. I am planning to get a 414kce-ltd soon as well.

Welcome to the forum!

Ken
Old 10-29-2001, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Christian Koa:
<STRONG>I am in the process of purchasing my 510 w/ Braz RW back and sides, no c and no e. I am anxious to see how it will fair playing "unplugged" I play sometimes with a keyboard, percussion, and electric along with my 314KCE and that is a blast, we seem to get great sound. I also play some with just guitar and a vocalists. Depending on the room size that I am playing in will sometimes depend on if I go plugged with the 314 or not. I am anxious to see how the 510B will fair in these situitations. Now I am new at all this live stuff, so I don't know a whole big bunch. Is it worth a try to play the 510 with the band when everyone else is plugged?? I will not be playing in a large room; does this make a differance? What situations should i expect the 510 to handle well and not so well?

&lt;&gt;&lt;
Mark</STRONG>
I always play plugged in when other musicians are plugged in. You would be surprised how easily the acoustic guitar gets drowned out. Why don't you look into getting a pickup for your 510? It's a great worship leading guitar. Chris Tomlin from Passion plays one.

Ken
Old 10-29-2001, 02:31 AM

I lead with a 410ce and will soon be leading with a 710c LTD. I would like to get a X14 one of these days...
Old 10-29-2001, 04:51 AM

Hey there, I lead worship with my nice 810bce =). Take care now!
Randall
Old 10-29-2001, 07:30 AM

Cool

612CE for lead through a SWR california blonde. Very simple but very effective. JW
Old 10-29-2001, 08:31 AM
Bob Womack

I play a 314kce in church. I bought that guitar specifically for the job. I've recently moved from the church where I played for years to a new church and have been asked to play for that church. Back in the saddle. I guess I'm more comfortable on the playing side of the guitar.

I work mostly direct to the PA via a direct box. Of course, that leaves you at the mercy of the sound tech for your monitors...

Bob

[ 10-29-2001: Message edited by: Bob Womack ]
Old 10-29-2001, 10:38 AM

Count me in, with my Englemann 714 and added Baggs Dual Source, thru the mixer.

Contemporary and Traditional music.
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18
Old 10-29-2001, 11:44 AM

Hey Worship Guy,

I used a 410, externally mic'd, then had a Fishman Natural 1 installed. Run through the church system (no idea what it is).

Now I'm using a 714 (cedar) with a passive Fishman and ProEq external preamp.

I have nothing but praise (excuse the pun) for both. The 410 could be a bit boomy, but that can be remedied. It was better for the uptempo, strumming songs. Still good for fingerstyle, too. The 714 is more comfortable due to the size, and handles the light strumming and fingerstyle like a dream. I remember someone once in a forum (don't know if it was this one) saying it was too warm for worship, but I don't really think so.

On Easter, we did a sunrise service outside with no electronics and I used the 410 (didn't have the 714 yet). It was plenty loud.

Hey, whatever you use will be blessed as it is being done unto the Lord!

Jay

Gibson J45 1942 Banner Reissue Custom Shop
Gibson Advanced Jumbo Custom Shop
Martin HD-28
Martin OM-28
Martin 00-15M
Fender Tele Highway One Reissue
Fender Jazz Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification