The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-22-2019, 06:36 AM

Default Bolt-on bridge on Framus lifting - help needed

Hi,

I just got this old Framus acoustic to use as a travel guitar. It is made with a bolt-on bridge (and it is supposed to be able to handle steel strings), but when I bring it up to tension the bridge lifts a little in the back as you can see in the 3 photos posted here: https://imgur.com/a/zRus1Yi. So I would like to ask you guys what I can do about it.

My own ideas are:

1) Tighten the two bolts in the bridge, but I'm not sure that will help since I don't know if there is sufficient "resistance". It is however possible to tighten them further, so maybe...
2) Put a nut on each of the two bolts inside the guitar and then tighten the bolts.
3) Try to get some kind of glue under the bridge...

Or something else - what would you recommend?

Thanks for your help!
Hans
Old 03-23-2019, 09:01 AM

That bridge plate addition was put in to address the same problem, I'm supposing, but since the 'tech' didn't want to lift the shell plug to remove the center bolt for the installation of this stacked plate that would best butt up against the top brace, they opted for this solution, leaving a gap between the new plate and top brace, wherein the center bolt remains. How to tighten a nut on it? With the additional weight of the stacked plate, how will the sound be affected by adding the additional weight of a nut to each side bolt? I would find lightweight nuts, and in the gap between bridge center and guitar top, slide around some sandpaper, clear the dust, squeeze in either thick superglue or wood glue, and clamp.

Disclaimer: the experts now have ample reason/opportunity to intervene.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:14 AM

Hi Bax

That's exactly what I did last night Had no suitable clamps though but was able to tighten the screws and added nuts a lot so I think it will do. The screws are smaller than they appear in the photo so I can't imagine that the added nuts weigh more than a couple of grams total max.

Thanks
Hans

Last edited by Hanzalot; 03-23-2019 at 04:27 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair