The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-08-2001, 03:49 PM

Post 1990 712 vs. 1996 812c

I'm new to this forum (and Taylors) and I was wondering whether people could chime in with their expertise.

To make a long story short, I've always wanted a Taylor Grand Concert and I finally got a friend to sell me one of theirs at a really good price. The two choices are listed in the subject. He doesn't care which one I pick. The cutaway and uv finish are nice on the 812, but he's asking for $200 more on it. Any opinions? Anthing I'm missing or should consider before choosing? Thanks!
Old 12-08-2001, 04:46 PM

Spend the 200!
Old 12-08-2001, 05:19 PM

Only $200 more for the 812c? Not a very hard decision to make IMHO.
Old 12-08-2001, 05:58 PM

Which of the extra features (cutaway, uv finish, inlay, etc.) REALLY makes the extra money worthwhile? I guess I just want to make double sure b/c he's cutting me a really good deal as a favor so the $200 is substantial. I can come up with it, but I just want to make sure it's worth it.

I'm also waffling b/c the 712 sounds a little fuller to me and I'm not sure if it's the extra age or the lack of cutaway. Decisions, decisions...
Old 12-09-2001, 01:23 AM

On paper, the 812c seems better (assuming they're in similar condition.) But, the thing is, which sounds better to you?

The UV finish is more stable, but I can't quantify that in $

The cutaway is a couple hundred $ difference these days (list.)

On a new guitar. the 800 series would get better wood than the 700 series. But comparing a 1990 to a 1996, who knows? Was 1990 700-series wood as good as or better than 1996 800-series wood? "Jim" would (wood?) know, if he's monitoring this thread; he knows about everything regarding wood and Taylor history.
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18
Old 12-09-2001, 02:30 AM

Look at it this way...if you never venture up in the cutaway range of the guitar, then it's not really worth anything is it? If you'll use it, then it'll probably be worth it.

The two guitars may differ in the tonewood used on their tops. Although my guess is that they're both Sitka spruce.

I think if it's that close in price, you might just want to go with the one that sounds better to your ear.

Ken
Old 12-09-2001, 03:20 AM

Thanks for all the replys.

The tops are both Sitka spruce. It think the cutaway makes a minimal difference for me. If anything, I'm thinking that it might even adversely affect the sound. I'm sure someone can correct me on this if it is psychological.

I'm looking more at the overall quality of the guitar (wood, craftmanship, playability, finish, etc.) than specific features since they are so similar. I figured that the 6 year difference would play a major role beyond what is commonly known since no guitar company seems to make the exact same guitars year after year (like the quality of wood used for different series changing during certain periods as Paul mentioned).

I know the major changes like the change in manufacturing plants but am not sure if it affected their guitars any if at all. Any resident Taylor historians out there?
Old 12-11-2001, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the info, folks. I've decided to go with the 812c. The 712 made my left hand hurt a little from the thinner neck and I wasn't sure whether it would go away. Other than that, they are both great guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification