The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-29-2001, 09:16 AM

Post New 614ce - Finally!

My 614ce I ordered the first part of October finally came. I picked it up yesterday.

The guitar: 614ce, amber finish, 3pc. back, quilt, florentine cutaway. It's incredible! Everything I expected! Superb playability and sound as expected. I had them leave off the pickgaurd. Beautiful guitar!!
Gets an A+++

The case: This subject has been covered extensively so I'll keep it short.
Fit is WAY TOO TIGHT. Bob says the foam will relax and correct itself so I believe him. Just hope the finish is not worn off the sides of the guitar before then! The black fur is ok but really looks crappy inside of a dark brown case. Black and dark brown are just not two colors that go well together. Rivets are tight and hardware is all on straight, seems well built.
Gets a C-

Overall I'm a happy new Taylor owner!
Thanks to J.R. and everyone for their advice, comments and suggestions.

SM

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 11-30-2001, 05:03 PM

Hi Steve. Your 614 sounds like a nice guitar! Out of curiosity, why did you choose the 614? Do you play plugged in a lot or was it something else?

Shea
Old 11-30-2001, 06:50 PM

Shea -
I really seldom plug in. I just like the little brighter tone that the maple gives you as opposed to mahogany or rosewood. It was a real hard decision between the 614 and 514. They are two totally different sounds. I hope to get a 514 someday for that softer tone. Just depends on the song I'm playing as which one I like best. Wish I'd had the money to buy your 514c. Sorry you had to sell it. Anyway, my strategy is to get the 614ce first since it is a little more expensive, then when I can get the "guitar fund" replenished get a 514c.
SM

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
Old 12-02-2001, 04:50 PM

I really like the florentine cutaway. Don't think I've seen one except in photos. What prompted you? Simply cosmetic? Best of luck. I'm thinking about trading in my 414CE for a beautiful blue 614ce.
Old 12-02-2001, 06:21 PM

Congradulations Steve on your new 614,I'm sure you'll have a hard time putting it down. Don't worrier about the tight fitting case. It well fit a little better over time. As I have experience the same problem with my 812ce six months ago, Its fitting better now. Not to long of a wait for your 614. I ordered a Big baby Taylor in Sept, and was told I would not recieve it until after Christmas sometime. I don't knowe if its because I live in Northern Ontario, Canada. Enjoy your new guitar.

Paul
Old 12-03-2001, 09:54 AM

Lkristians - Yes the florentine cutaway is simply cosmetic. I've jus always liked the looks of the florentine. Like Doyle Dykes says "it's sharp!" Get it? The front looks just like a DDSM except the binding and inlays.
conuck - I really didn't think the wait was too long for a special order. But waiting for a "dream guitar" is excrutiating. It's my first Taylor. My wife & daughter went shopping yesterday. I stayed home a played nearly all day. I've never had an acoustic that my fingers could stand to play for more than an hour or so at a time. The tone is incredible!!
SM

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
Old 12-04-2001, 04:27 PM

I am a first time buyer of Taylor and am now a proud owner of a 1993 612C (one prior owner) and when I held it in my arms I knew this was it! I feel so lucky to have found her.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:12 PM

Congratulations, Steve and Suzyque! I've always been a fan of maple guitars, and I applaud your excellent taste. I've never played a 612 or 614 I didn't like.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:42 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

here here! Where are the pics? Sounds fabulous, Steve!

J.R.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:35 AM

Suzyque-
Congrats on your 612c!

J.R. -
I'll try to get some pictures to you when I get my digital camera back. My brother has it right now. It is a beautiful guitar. The only thing I'd do different next time is check into the 900 series maple as you suggested. The quilt on mine is pretty but not as extreme as some I've seen. The florentine cutaway really sets it off! Overall I'm very pleased with it.
SM

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
Old 12-05-2001, 10:52 AM

Even though I am absolutely thrilled with the 612C, can anyone explain to me what that means. The person at the guitar store wasn't very clear on that. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2001, 12:38 PM

Suzyque, if you're referring to the model (612C), it goes like this:

6 = maple back and sides (called the 600 series)
12 = Grand Concert body
C = cutaway

An "e" on the end would mean that it has a built-in pickup and on-board electronics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification