The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-17-2007, 07:22 PM

Default Rainsong: which are better, old or new models?

Not comparing Rainsong guitars to wood instruments, but
between old (say the 1990s) and newer ones, does anyone have
any playing experience? I know the company claims the construction
is different, and of course they claim the new techniques are better....
Old 12-18-2007, 10:27 AM

When I first started looking at these, I went to a store that had one of each body style in stock. I was most interested in a jumbo or a dread. Both of them were incredible instruments and made in the WA plant. The WS1000 that they had was NOS from the Hawaii plant. I played it quite a bit, too, even though I didn't think I would get that body style. It sounded a played great also, but there was something about it that I didn't like as much as the others.

When I finally ordered my Rainsong, it ended up being the WS1000 for a variety of reasons. But I am glad that it is from the WA plant. I really don't know if there really is a difference or not, but mine is fantastic! I did like the Maui girl that they used to put on them, but they haven't done that for quite a while. She is a cute logo, but not really appropriate on a guitar that I use to do chidren's programs.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:48 PM

Mark
I have since left a message and gotten a return call within 24 hours from a informed and patient cust serv rep. They seems to have removed the bracing in the new models, thus the top is more free to resonate, thus prob its a louder acoustic tone. seems like the newer classics are the way to go....
Old 12-19-2007, 08:19 AM

This post shouldnt be here... somebody move it to the General Discussion Section.

1998 Taylor 810ce
2005 Taylor 214e
2006 Regal SG *beater*

My heart is steadfast, O God; I will sing and make music with all my soul, this is my glory. •Psalm 108.1•

http://laibi.org/
Old 12-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Hi Duke...
I must say I'm relieved that this is not a thread about how well composite material ''opens up'' as it ages.

It would be interesting to know how much they have changed their sound with the design changes.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-19-2007, 10:17 AM

I had a 1999 WS1000. It was (and I'm sure still is) a remarkable guitar. Very, very clear tone. Very, very loud. Very, very easy to play. I got rid of it because I drifted back to the "wood" sound. The composite sound is an acquired taste. To me, it's not as warm as the wood sound. In most situatoins I think the composite sound is more clear and even than the best of wooden instruments, but I simply lean toward the "wood" sound. Rainsongs, in my view, are excellent guitars and worth the money. It all comes down to what each of us likes in a guitar. I want wood. Others may lean toward the composite sound. There's not a thing in the world wrong with either. If I should ever consider a composite guitar again, I will definitly look at another Rainsong.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:29 AM

So what are they actually made from, is it the same composite that you see on other composites. I have never had the pleasure of trying one out, so I don't know what they actually sound like, but I wouldnt mind trying.Ship
Old 12-19-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriPicker View Post
I had a 1999 WS1000. It was (and I'm sure still is) a remarkable guitar. Very, very clear tone. Very, very loud. Very, very easy to play. I got rid of it because I drifted back to the "wood" sound. The composite sound is an acquired taste. To me, it's not as warm as the wood sound. In most situatoins I think the composite sound is more clear and even than the best of wooden instruments, but I simply lean toward the "wood" sound. Rainsongs, in my view, are excellent guitars and worth the money. It all comes down to what each of us likes in a guitar. I want wood. Others may lean toward the composite sound. There's not a thing in the world wrong with either. If I should ever consider a composite guitar again, I will definitly look at another Rainsong.
To my ears at least the Composite Acoustics guitars are more "woody" sounding than the Rainsongs, and I have A/B'd them several times at Elderly.

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:38 PM

I had both Composite Acoustics and Rainsong guitars and I don't think that CAs are as balanced as Rainsong. If you play fingerstyle, you would definitely go with a Rainsong.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
I had both Composite Acoustics and Rainsong guitars and I don't think that CAs are as balanced as Rainsong. If you play fingerstyle, you would definitely go with a Rainsong.
Which body types were you comparing? Were they both dreadnoughts?

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:07 PM

The WS1000 is an auditorium size guitar.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

I played some older ones....maybe 96-1997 from what I call. Back then, they were really expensive $2500-3000 for the time. I wasn't impressed with the tone. I honestly thought my $550 Gibson Gospel sounded better. Maybe it was just a bad guitar.

Then Rainsong made some changes and I was really impressed with newer models that came aound 1999 or so. They were far less expensive and sounded quite nice.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:09 AM

I recall reading that some early Rainsongs would develop 'blisters' on the surface if exposed to too much sunlight. There was some debate over whether that was a widespread problem, or a few isolated incidents.

Taylor 414e Ltd Claro Walnut__Takamine EC132C__Larrivee 000-40R__Yairi WY-1__Alvarez PJ85SC-DVS & PJ85SC-12DVS, RB30SC__Guild GAD-JF48__Seagull Model 12, S12, S6+ Folk, M4 Spruce__Ibanez AW-25 (12s), PF5CENT __Olympia OD?, OP2__Hohner Morena-HAM 712 mandolin__Flight Ukulele__Yamaha Guitalele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber