The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post

I guess buying a Martin is a bit like buying a Rolex as your own luxury sport watch or a Porsche 911 as your one and only sport car. It is the obvious choice, it doesn't mean that it is either the best or the wrong choice, but it is what comes to mind.
Well, no. A Martin is probably more like buying an Accord. The guitars that even begin to approach a Porsche are not in your price range even well used.

My suggestion is to purchase a clean, used Martin of your choice after spending a few more hours in stores. You can save a chunk of money going used, but more to the point - if you change your mind a few years from now you can trade it in for a very small loss.

There are some very nice used guitars in the $3,000 range, but I suspect you'd be better served to find a nice Martin for considerably less and save the rest in case you really do decide you want a Collings or other smaller builder.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-13-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE" View Post
How about the new Guild F512 12 string - this look spectacular. It's also got big historic musical connotations
12 string for a beginner?

That's a bit *cough* ambitious.

Mark Twain
Old 03-13-2020, 03:12 PM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood_Lad View Post

Well he mentioned Simon and Garfunkel and I believe the Guild 12 string was one of Paul Simon's key instruments.

It was only an idea because they are of course harder to fret and therefore initially harder on the fingers but imo not that traumatic with practice.

The Guild orange sunburst also looks very American.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

I got to spend some time at Guitar Center (hey, it was next to Home Depot where I needed to go anyhow...)

I tried to hone in a bit and try a Martin D-35 for the first time, and then contrast and compare it to a Gibson J-45. I liked both a lot. The sales person's favorite and his "workhorse" is the J-45, perhaps he influenced me a bit ;-) I did find the neck of the D35 a tiny bit more comfortable.

I made the mistake a listen to the salesperson and try a Breedlove limited edition Concert C like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-YzXeneCh8

Very impressive sound and playability, but I didn't love the look and but there is no way I'm spending $4,700 at this point

The sales rep tried closing the deal on a sunburst D35 he had to bring in from the warehouse in Kansas but didn't offer any discount, which I found a bit strange.

I will continue to practice, study, testing guitars, etc.

I really appreciate the kind advice of everyone so far.

Last edited by Arlington; 03-13-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:46 PM

Definitely try a Larrivee L-03 and an OM-03. They're both mahogany back and sides. If you want rosewood back and sides they do an L-03R and an OM-03R.

For sound and physical fit you might find one of those suits you.

But as others said, play all sorts, even things that aren't on your list. And enjoy the hunt. If it becomes a chore then take a few days off.

Mark Twain
Old 03-13-2020, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb715 View Post
Arlington,

If your name indicates where you are in Virginia, then I recommend you visit Action Music in Falls Church. My son lives in Arlington, and he and I have visited Action Music a couple of times: first just to have a look and second to have them set up a Collings. Not a huge shop, but when we went there they had a nice selection of Huss and Daltons, Collings and Waterloos as well as some Gibsons and Martins. Just checked the website, and they list eight H&Ds, including a Road Series Dread under $3K. (The Road Series were satined and slightly less well-appointed versions of their other guitars they sold for substantially less. They sound terrific. I could certainly see one as a lifetime guitar.)

Good luck!
It is good advice. I have checked their site, but there wasn't much inventory, so I called them right now to better understand what they have in stock. It sounds great. I'll head over there but perhaps not tomorrow as Saturdays are really busy. It is not like I want to sit in a tight room with tons of strangers these days ;-)
Old 03-13-2020, 03:55 PM

Default A thought

Even simpler: any factory guitar is NOT 'handbuilt. OP can stop looking using that filter. They don't exist.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
Well, no. A Martin is probably more like buying an Accord. The guitars that even begin to approach a Porsche are not in your price range even well used.

My suggestion is to purchase a clean, used Martin of your choice after spending a few more hours in stores. You can save a chunk of money going used, but more to the point - if you change your mind a few years from now you can trade it in for a very small loss.

There are some very nice used guitars in the $3,000 range, but I suspect you'd be better served to find a nice Martin for considerably less and save the rest in case you really do decide you want a Collings or other smaller builder.
Well, perhaps neither Rolex or Porsche wasn't the most accurate comparison ;-)

As I said, I don't mind buying used at all, but all the e.g. Martins on Craigslist have a rather high asking price (sellers seem to think their used guitars are worth a lot), and buying online seems to be a shot in the dark.

Last edited by Arlington; 03-26-2020 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:09 PM

It is hard to only own one guitar fro many reasons.
Every guitar has it's own sound and feel.

Even if you find a guitar that has the feel and the sound that you like, there will be many other guitars that will also sound and feel very good to you.

If your personality will accept owning just one guitar and be happy with that result, almost any guitar will work for you.
Otherwise you will wind up with several guitars coming and going from time to time.

Best of luck finding "That One".
Old 03-13-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
It is hard to only own one guitar fro many reasons.
Every guitar has it's own sound and feel.

Even if you find a guitar that has the feel and the sound that you like, there will be many other guitars that will also sound and feel very good to you.

If your personality will accept owning just one guitar and be happy with that result, almost any guitar will work for you.
Otherwise you will wind up with several guitars coming and going from time to time.

Best of luck finding "That One".
Agreed!
Old 03-13-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood_Lad View Post

The first guitar I bought after a long hiatus was a Takamine GJ72CE-12 string. A few months later I bought a Takamine GD93. The 12 string is one of easiest play guitars I own. The 6 string Tak is no slouch.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 03-13-2020, 04:45 PM

This past spring I was in a similar situation to the one you describe. Before deciding on brand or model I made a point of going to several guitar shops in three cities and played around 150 different guitars. My budget was limited so I pretended that it wasn’t and just picked up and played what I was drawn towards.

No one could tell me what guitar was best suited to me but once I got used to playing a bunch of very different guitars and a lot of very similar guitars I got to where within a few seconds of playing I could tell whether or not I would be happy with it. The problem was I had Champange tastes but a beer budget.

I ended up finding a used Larrivee L03 that needed some TLC but sounded just right for me and I happy with it
Old 03-13-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
It is hard to only own one guitar
I'm not so sure. Find one with a sound you like and then play it. A lot. The more you play it the more you'll find all sorts of unique ways to get the sounds you want out of it. If you're a singer find one that compliments your voice and then sing and play it. A lot. You'll find lots of ways to get what you want from it.

Once you start doing that and you're enjoying what you're doing you won't even be thinking about buying other guitars.

The best guitar in the world is the one that you're playing.

Mark Twain
Old 03-13-2020, 05:14 PM

And if you find it's taking you longer than you would like to make your mind up, get yourself a Yamaha FG830 to strum on while you continue to look. It's pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

You won't regret it and you'll hang on to it long afterwards to take to places you wouldn't feel comfortable taking a $3k guitar.

Mark Twain
Old 03-13-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
The Breedlove guitars made in Bend, Oregon...

There are a number of different models that would fit the criteria you described... their Oregon Series guitars are Sitka spruce tops, maple necks and myrtle wood back and sides (some are available with all-myrtle wood; top sides and back. REALLY nice guitars for under $2,000, possibly the finest "off-the-radar" bargain out there...

The Breedlove Premiere line has a number of different wood combinations and they go for around $2200.

Breedlove offers a number of sizes and shapes - my favorites are their Concert size (basically a OOO size) and their Concerto model (slightly bigger body than the Concert, more like a medium Jumbo or OOOO).

If you truly want a guitar that you'll be happy with for years to come, get out and play a bunch and find the one that "speaks" to you... the one that you don't want to put down and stop playing, even to buy the thing!

As several replies have stated, there is a wide variety of minutiae that come into play when you actually have the guitar in your hands that isn't going to be conveyed by specifications or written descriptions. Factory made guitars are going to vary, from guitar to guitar, even the same model with the same wood configuration; they can all be good, they just won't be the same...

Take uour time with your search and have fun with it! You're looking for a partner that will be with you a LONG time... be picky and get a great one!

Ditto to all said here

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
advice, martin, new guitar