The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2020, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Default The one and only US handmade guitar? Help needed

Hello friends,

Longtime lurker, finally ready to take the plunge.

Context: I used to play quite a bit in my teenage years, but that was a long time ago. I'm now at a place where I want to pick it up again, be serious about it, and I'm blessed to be in a position where I can afford to spend a few thousand if need be. I will be playing for myself and family at home. I am not joining a band, I won't need to overpower anything.

Challenge: I know myself, while a $200 Yamaha would fit my current skill-level, I am the type of person that much prefer quality over quantity. I don't want 5-10 guitars to cover every scenario perfectly - I want one great all-around guitar that will serve me well for most everything (yes, it won't be perfect at all).

I want to play a mix of fingerpicking, strumming, flatpicking, etc. Think more classics like Springsteen, Simon & Garfunkel, Clapton, etc than bluegrass.

Lastly, I want a US-made guitar, it doesn't need to be all tricked out with pearl everywhere, but I have a soft spot for sunburst top, golden tuners, white binding on fretboard, etc.

I've tried Martins, e.g. D18, D28, HD28, D41, and OM-28. Need to try a D-35 and HD-35 as well. I tried some Taylors and Gibsons, but I that didn't gel for some reason. I'd love to play some Collings, e.g. OM2H but I think that is spending a bit too much, I'd ideally like to keep it below $3K, but could go slightly over if need be. (but hey, if I find the "right one" for $2K, I wouldn't mind ;-))

I don't mind the idea of buying used, e.g. on Reverb, but we all know there is a lot of variations between instruments so it is hard to buy the right instrument online.

Sorry for the rant - what are your recommendations? Which guitar fulfills the challenge? OM or Dreadnaught? I am not sure I really need that canon/booming sound of a Dread, but they do have many other upsides? OMs are very comfortable to play, especially sitting at home in the sofa, but then again, I'm 6'1"/185cm to I can handle a Dread easily. Hog or Rosewood sides and back? 14 fret? So many questions and options...

Which models and makers am I missing? Which is the one and only e.g. Martin?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-13-2020, 09:50 AM

Welcome to the forum. You will get many suggestions here. My response to these types of threads is always 'get out there and play a bunch yourself and discover what talks to you.'

I have a pretty short list in my sig but half of the fun was circling around each of them before going in for the kill.

Enjoy the journey and in the meanwhile play the crap out of whatever you have now.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-13-2020, 10:05 AM

If you are looking for a "lifetime guitar" I would strongly recommend against buying online. Extremely important intangibles such as neck feel, tone, comfort cannot be judged by specs alone.

That said, IMO, I find GA's, OM's, 000's and the Larrivee L size to be excellent at most things except Bluegrass.

Both the upside and downside of a Dread are booming bass. Good if you want it, bad if you don't. of course, not all dreads have a giant, booming bass.

GA's and L's are in between an OM and dread in size. More volume than an OM and more balanced than a dread - this is generally true, but of course, there are exceptions.

You may want to consider Larrivee as well as Martin. They used to be all Canadian, but i believe they are based in the USA now.

Also, Rosewood and Mahogany are not the only great tonewoods for b&s.

Take your time and make the search fun. What's a few months in the scheme of things if you end up with a "forever" guitar?

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-13-2020, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

You've said that you don't want a Taylor or Gibson and said that you want to try more Martins so I suppose the implication is you want a Martin. With that in mind, get a Martin D18 with an Ambertone top. I love mine. All steak with a modicum of sizzle....
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

I think a D-35 can do all of what you are asking for.

I don't own one, but have had the chance to play a few and they are special!
Old 03-13-2020, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Can't emphasize enough the necessity of coming to a good understanding of what your way of playing and the range of music you like. You have to play as many different brands and types of guitars before making that purchase.

That means taking more time to settle on that life time guitar. Most folks end up going through several guitars before finally discovering what really met their ideal. The longer you take the less likely your initial impression of a individual guitar may over time prove to not satisfy.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 03-13-2020, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Hence, I'm not married to Martin but I do understand and respect their history. It might have to do with Martins being readily available and promoted at the two different local guitar shops I've visited.

I guess buying a Martin is a bit like buying a Rolex as your own luxury sport watch or a Porsche 911 as your one and only sport car. It is the obvious choice, it doesn't mean that it is either the best or the wrong choice, but it is what comes to mind.

I like the idea of something more handmade and smaller volume, e.g. Collings, or even a Huss & Dalton from here in Virginia (but I'm not a bluegrass player per se).

I'm not always the most patient of men :-) I like the idea of picking something up soon. We are all getting isolated at home for the next weeks because of the Corona virus so the idea of having a great guitar at home is very compelling. Plus I'd help to spend some money at a local guitar shop supporting the economy...
Old 03-13-2020, 10:36 AM

Perhaps a Larrivee. Either new, preowned or custom shop. Best bang for your buck, great tone, USA made. Spectacular woods. Good company.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

I'd look into the Martin Re-Imagined series, a 000-18 or 00-28 (depending on whether you like the sound of mahogany or rosewood). Check out a couple AGF sponsors and you'll be surprised what is our there that is within your budget. I'd also say look for a custom Ambertone finish in one of those models. The wildcard is the variable neck shapes so it would helpful to play a few and get an idea of what you like or don't like.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:01 AM

Summarizing, if I've understood correctly, you want:

1. American made
2. not Gibson, not Taylor
3. immediate purchase, rather than custom order
4. buy from local music store
5. something less factory-made
6. $3k or less
7. buy once
8. a guitar that "does it all" for your needs.

Given that, your options are limited to what is available at your local music stores. None here no what guitar brands your local guitar stores carry. Unless they are very well-stocked stores, you're unlikely to have much off the beaten path - Gibson, Taylor, Martin, Eastman maybe a few others.

Unless you can relax some of those constraints, that doesn't give you a lot of choice compared to what is out there: it is likely to be a very small sub-set of offerings.

As others have suggested, go play a lot of guitars. Depending upon what your local stores carry, travelling to play different/more guitars might be the best option. Given the current environment, right now might not be the best time to do a lot of in-store guitar shopping. Buying on-line is a gamble at the best of times that you will get what you want.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
If you are looking for a "lifetime guitar" I would strongly recommend against buying online. Extremely important intangibles such as neck feel, tone, comfort cannot be judged by specs alone.
This.

My $.02 would also be don't necessarily pressure yourself into feeling that I NEED TO BUY MY LIFETIME GUITAR!!! from the get-go. A lot of the fun is in the hunt, so maybe ask yourself, why the rush to hit the bullseye on the first shot?

I'd say play a whole lot of guitars and buy one you like (preferably used and maybe even at less than your $ point). Play it a bunch. The more you play, the more you'll know what you like. Keep looking. The right guitar will likely find you. Then you can sell the first one (for little to no loss if you bought used).
Old 03-13-2020, 11:25 AM

Welcome to the forum. I to took a lot of time off and started back up playing regularly in December 2018.

If I waited for my holy grail I still would be waiting. Not that I guit looking. I did find a couple of guitars that do the job rather well. I am content with what I have. But still looking for that Gibson Dove.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 03-13-2020, 11:29 AM

Um, nobody mentioned the USA Guilds...?
Old 03-13-2020, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

The Breedlove guitars made in Bend, Oregon...

There are a number of different models that would fit the criteria you described... their Oregon Series guitars are Sitka spruce tops, maple necks and myrtle wood back and sides (some are available with all-myrtle wood; top sides and back. REALLY nice guitars for under $2,000, possibly the finest "off-the-radar" bargain out there...

The Breedlove Premiere line has a number of different wood combinations and they go for around $2200.

Breedlove offers a number of sizes and shapes - my favorites are their Concert size (basically a OOO size) and their Concerto model (slightly bigger body than the Concert, more like a medium Jumbo or OOOO).

If you truly want a guitar that you'll be happy with for years to come, get out and play a bunch and find the one that "speaks" to you... the one that you don't want to put down and stop playing, even to buy the thing!

As several replies have stated, there is a wide variety of minutiae that come into play when you actually have the guitar in your hands that isn't going to be conveyed by specifications or written descriptions. Factory made guitars are going to vary, from guitar to guitar, even the same model with the same wood configuration; they can all be good, they just won't be the same...

Take uour time with your search and have fun with it! You're looking for a partner that will be with you a LONG time... be picky and get a great one!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 03-13-2020, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

I don’t understand why the OP is limiting himself to US-built guitars. There are some fantastic instruments out there at great prices, built elsewhere - Eastman, Furch to mention but two.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
advice, martin, new guitar