The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-02-2019, 09:03 AM

I would choose the Martin, either 1 or 2. All solid wood. They sound fantastic
Old 08-02-2019, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

You've chosen over a half dozen guitars from two of the biggest companies out there. My suggestion is to play as many of them as possible... and then play several others from other companies, preferably without looking at the headstock, and see which guitars speak to you.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:00 PM

As said before, definitely go play them. I was personally underwhelmed by both the Taylor 114, and Martin X series. I would definitely go used solid wood Road Series before I would do that (consider the DRS-1 or DRS-2 imo, or you could look for 000RS1 or 2). I would also consider a guild in this price range. While I got mine at a steal ($250), I have a Guild GAD-50 (Sitka over EIR) and it is an amazing amount of guitar for the money.
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster MIM w/ noiseless pickups
Old 08-02-2019, 03:01 PM

Musicians friend has a Martin custom d on sale in that price range. All wood American made Martin dread
Old 08-02-2019, 03:02 PM

Old 08-04-2019, 07:36 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your reply.
I'll definitely go and play others on this price range.
I'm from the Philippines by the way to those who are asking for my location. The guitar I'm wanting to replace and upgrade is my Taylor Big Baby.

Cheers!
Old 08-05-2019, 06:26 AM

I have a feeling telling you about a guitar that means more money
may not be the ticket -but in the long run cheaper -thoughs !

You seem to be working up the ladder ( am i wrong ? ) i see this time and time again - they get a low end this or that , then something better , etc, etc- maybe 4 or 5 times before they buy that 2,000 plus guitar - every one of those starter guitars will be hard to sell used ( orient made guitars go on the cheap used -sorry with the bad news )
if your sure your not a newby guitarist who may not keep with it -then read further - my suggestion :

If your serious ( in the long run you'll save alot of cash )
look at models like : Martin D-18 2019 ( new model ) a bit over 2 grand
but a pro quality guitar thats a lifetime keeper -
or look at the 300 series Taylor ( or better - prefered -the 100 and 200 series are starter guitars -)

In a tight budget fix- buy these used -but not online , put your hands on them and take along a guitar playing buddy with you -so you get their opinion -stay away from guitars with high action or low saddles -
especially Martins -taylors are easier to change the neck angle ( Taylor's are bolt on's -but I like Martins - but taylors are great guitars as well )

Right now used guitars are bargains -but be careful- by the way always get a decent case -its insurance
Old 10-29-2019, 09:22 PM

I play Taylor 100 and 200 series guitars. I don't care that they are laminate. The sound difference between them and higher end guitars is negligible when you factor in a sound system, room, crowd, and vocals.

All wood guitars are cool, but you REALLY have to baby them and take care to hydrate, and I don't have time for that.

It really depends on what matters most to you. To a lot of folks it matters a great deal, having an all wood instrument. I am cool with the laminates, especially at the level I play and the venues I play. They play and sound fine.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:45 PM

Academy 12 is the cheapest and most comfy to me of those on your list. If you’re a dred guy, the Alvarez Masterworks Dreds are great in the 5/600 dollar range and all solid mahogany, dressed like D18s and sound great. Sam Ash had Epi Masterbuilt 400 dred for $300 the other day...All solid woods...a good setup on those and they’re pretty nice. I found the Alvarez MD60bg model...bluegrass model, but it does lots more than that...you don’t have a bad rig on your list though! Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
martin, taylor