The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-30-2005, 11:56 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmacneill
The original poster of this thread wanted advice on an electric guitar for $700. Several responders gave some good, useful suggestions. I added my two cents, both on what to look for and on what to avoid. When you do the latter, you inevitably tweak a few noses out there and get a spew of defensive remarks from insecure owners. People take cold shots at Collings guitars all the time and I never say a word. There is no point arguing with a fool.
Thanks for your kind words.

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-30-2005, 12:09 PM

Bob, you are painting me the wrong way. There is no need for sarcasm -- this is just the way I think and write. I'm a no-BS kind of guy. Don't make me out to be some kind of mean-spirited jerk -- I'm not. There are no emoticons to indicate bemused pessimism or existential irony -- if there where, I'd use 'em a lot.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:26 PM

...today at lunch I took my G&L legacy HB in to try out a used amp...this shop has a lot of fender's..they wouldn't sell me the amp! and I like fenders!

seriously, that EJ model is sweet...but really, what's lamer than playing a sig model of anything?

:-) :^) <---(there we go)
Old 11-30-2005, 12:35 PM

I hear you. I've always laughed at signature models too, both acoustic and electric. (Shawn Colvin Signature D28? -- give me a break!) But the EJ really blew me away, and it has no actual signature painted on it -- just a fancy neckplate with initials and a Kokopelli figure holding a guitar. I'm not actually an Eric Johnson fan and never bought any of his records. His kind of virtuosity is interesting for about five minutes to me and then I'm bored with it. But what a sweet guitar he designed! A friend of mine just got the lead guitar gig with Sting's touring band -- he's the one who turned me on to the EJ. It's a unique blend of old and new that suits me perfectly, even if it does have a slightly silly neckplate.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

What's lamer than playing a signature model of anything:

Well, a few years ago, Fender released a Danny Partridge sig model. That's pretty lame!

Back in the 60's Gibson had a Trinny Lopez sig model. Generally the old Gibson Signature models were pretty sublime such as the Tal Farlow, Johnny Smith, Howard Roberts, and Barney Kessel models (all archtops). Oh and wasn't there some guy named Les something-or-other?

drive-south

Last edited by drive-south; 11-30-2005 at 12:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-30-2005, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south
Well, a few years ago, Fender released a Danny Partridge sig model.
I MUST HAVE ONE! MONEY IS NO OBJECT! 8-)
Old 11-30-2005, 12:57 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Bob, you are painting me the wrong way. There is no need for sarcasm -- this is just the way I think and write. I'm a no-BS kind of guy. Don't make me out to be some kind of mean-spirited jerk -- I'm not. There are no emoticons to indicate bemused pessimism or existential irony -- if there where, I'd use 'em a lot.
Okay, I'll give you a break. When I talk like you, and I usually do, people call me blunt. You know, I'd like to see the emoticons you mentioned. Actually, I kinda use the little winky guy for the the mood which you describe.

Oh, and by the way, I'll admit it: Some guy named Les has his sig on one of my old guitars.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-30-2005, 01:01 PM

Les is more.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:12 PM
.tom the übergeek

Quote:
Don't make me out to be some kind of mean-spirited jerk -- I'm not.
Yeah, that is my gig.....evil genius.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:27 PM

Bwahahahahahahaha!
Old 11-30-2005, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.E.P.
I am looking for a strat to give me something totally different from my singlecut. I have about $700 dollars. I have been researching and trying to get out and play what I can. Can any strat owners give me advice on the best guitar for the money (Fender, G&L, Kit from Warmoth). I am just looking for the best strat I can get for $700 new or used. Thanks,

KEP
I think it really just depends on what you like. I love the necks on my Fender American Strats, yet there are 2 of the 4 that I own that I like best. Oddly enough these are the guitars I purchased for the least price (used). I have played a couple of G & L guitars and while they seem like fine instruments, the neck profiles have kept me from purchasing one on several occasions (just my preference). I think there are some great choices out there in your price range. If you are looking at just playability and sound, go with whatever sounds and feels the best. If you are looking at resale value also, the big brand name, american made instruments seem to hold their value nicely over time.

-s
Old 11-30-2005, 02:05 PM

actually, I was reading the specs on the EJ and the John (we won't go there) Mayer sig strats and they sound pretty sweet. EJ is infamous for being a tone freak so I imagine it sounds pretty smooth.

I'd like a jewel sig. taylor model....if they'd only airbrush some cleavage on the pickguard...DANG! guess I'll have to wait for the jessica alba "sin city" version...
Old 11-30-2005, 02:30 PM

I can't contribute much to this discussion but a few years ago, I bought my first solid body guitar. After playing acoustic flat tops and electric archtops for 25 years, I got the itch to buy some sort of solid body. I started out with a Parker something or other mainly because I liked the look of it. Heck, they are all solid body so tone wise, they must all be the same, right?

Due to some quality issues I ended up exchanging the Parker at the shop from which I originally purchased the guitar. After kicking many tires (Schecter, Gibson, this, that and the other thing), I plugged in what I thought was the homeliest guitar hanging on the wall - a Fender American Standard Stratocaster (brownish sunburst finish). Plugged it into a Fender Hot Rod Deville. Holy cow!!! Now that's what an electric guitar is supposed to sound like (at least to my ears).

If I ever get a hankerin' for another solid body, I may check G&L. Have heard so many great things about that brand.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:10 PM

My own opinion (just that- opinion!) is that G&L ASAT's are a definite improvement over Fender tele's (and I have a Fender J.D. tele)- but that true Fender strat's have a gain in 'vibe' and sound over the J&L legacy.

I have a made-in USA G&L legacy, and the workmanship is really top-rate- BUT, if I could do it all over again, I would have got a Fender strat. I played my friend's MIM strat, and even though it was cheaper, it was lighter, and had the classic strat sound down. The legacy probably works better as a 'fusion'-type guitar, but for classic fender tones I think it's hard to beat the current Fender's.

-"The sun is the hot.. hottiest planet. And it would burn your mouth if you tried to eat it." - Chris Elliot, Get a Life
Old 11-30-2005, 03:10 PM

With about $700 to work with you might look into a Fender Highway 1. Good American built Fender for the money. I switch between an American Standard and the Highway...love them both...but the Highway was definately the better deal of the two.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars