The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-17-2021, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjFuzzyMcPickle View Post
Tried everywhere to find me one of those 300LT models. Genz Benz now Genzler had a 3-5 yr downtime I believe to his agreement per selling Genz benz off to Fender I believe for the usual dismantle.

I
Yeah, a few of us a while back were talking about them, and agreed they are better than their popularity would suggest. They just dont put a lot of resources into marketing and distribution. If they did, I bet they would gather quite a following. I have seen them advertise in AG recently, but still hard to find them.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

Last edited by dnf777; 01-18-2021 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:28 PM

Fishman Loudbox Artist for me.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:54 PM

Crate Acoustic 125 ... Had it for years .
Old 01-17-2021, 03:59 PM

If we are only talking traditional "amps" (some have mentioned pa's)...My recommendation is that if you are as serious or as picky about your vocals as you are your acoustic guitar tone then you need to try ouy a Genzler Acoustic Array Pro. IMO vocals through amps are just not that good...passable at best. Not the case with the Genzler AAPro.. Guitar tone is great and vox are too, dispersion is amazing for an amp. Honorable mentions: 1. My best bud has an LB Artist and I think the guitar tone is right up there with the best..I do not like vox through the unit.. 2. I own and may never part with the S1 pro..vox are as good as a good PA, guitar tone is better than many but why I searched and found the AApro.

Some have snuck in some pa's so I will say I owned a Bose l1m2B2 for 2 years...it is as good as advertised but I always felt it was a little thin/compressed...I tried to love/ keep it but I needed more wind at my back. I always felt inspired when singing/ playing through my friend's Fishman solo amp 220...so I bought a sa330x and have trouble understanding why it doesn't get more love on AGF? It is truly plug and play and the easiest to lug/set up...if you get the roller bag..

Last edited by willymartin; 01-17-2021 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Yeah, a few of us a while back were talking about them, and agreed they are better than their popularity would suggest. They just dont put a lot of resources into marketing and distribution. If the did, I bet they would gather quite a following. I have seen them advertise in AG recently, but still hard to find them.
AGREE 100%. That's been their mystery for yrs. Those that play em, luv em, and rarely sell em.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:20 PM

Taylor 412/K&K/ plus Shure SM58 to Fishman Loudbox Mini.

The amp is small, lightweight, has all the power I need, and reverb. The input impedance is 1 megohm, which agrees with the K&K. No additional preamp is needed. I have run the amp to the main FOH board at big outdoor concerts.

I need nothing else.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus

Last edited by alnico5; 01-17-2021 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
If we are only talking traditional "amps" (some have mentioned pa's)...My recommendation is that if you are as serious or as picky about your vocals as you are your acoustic guitar tone then you need to try ouy a Genzler Acoustic Array Pro. IMO vocals through amps are just not that good...passable at best. Not the case with the Genzler AAPro.. Guitar tone is great and vox are too, dispersion is amazing for an amp. Honorable mentions: 1. My best bud has an LB Artist and I think the guitar tone is right up there with the best..I do not like vox through the unit.. 2. I own and may never part with the S1 pro..vox are as good as a good PA, guitar tone is better than many but why I searched and found the AApro.

Some have snuck in some pa's so I will say I owned a Bose l1m2B2 for 2 years...it is as good as advertised but I always felt it was a little thin/compressed...I tried to love/ keep it but I needed more wind at my back. I always felt inspired when singing/ playing through my friend's Fishman solo amp 220...so I bought a sa330x and have trouble understanding why it doesn't get more love on AGF? It is truly plug and play and the easiest to lug/set up...if you get the roller bag..
Again agree 100 %. And to add to your thoughts why I think it's one if the best short of the 2k+ qmps: Simplicity yet articulate, lots of flavor, simple but perfect effects.

And as far as expansion 2 simple options: They do make I believe a 2nd cabinet to parallel to: https://www.genzleramplification.com...nsion-cabinet/. Or the line outs to
Self powered pa is reeeeaaallllly nice. Pre or post eq options. I attached 2 older model JBL Eon G2s (300 watts each) I could easily seeing that set up plenty strong enough for rooms of 100+ if needed. And clean!!

Last edited by DjFuzzyMcPickle; 01-19-2021 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:01 PM

Fishman seems to have the majority of the market, and for good reason. They work really well and sound pretty good. However, I have a couple Mesa Rosette 2x8 amps, and it's crazy how much better they sound than a Fishman.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:19 PM

I surprised EAE hasn't been mentioned yet. I've never heard one, but they seem to get a lot of love here on the forum. They certainly have a cool mixer built onboard and can be had with battery power. I'd like to try one someday.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
I always felt inspired when singing/ playing through my friend's Fishman solo amp 220...so I bought a sa330x and have trouble understanding why it doesn't get more love on AGF? It is truly plug and play and the easiest to lug/set up...if you get the roller bag..
It is kinda funny. I've heard the sa330x live and it sounds great. It has plenty of onboard eq, reverb, pad, phase, phantom power, and a relatively cheap "expander" that adds four inputs to the unit's two, and powered by the signal cable similar to most of the Bose Tonematch setups. Has tons of outputs for house sound and what have you. And, to repeat, it sounds great. Every time I write about it I feel I should buy one!
Old 01-17-2021, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
It is kinda funny. I've heard the sa330x live and it sounds great. It has plenty of onboard eq, reverb, pad, phase, phantom power, and a relatively cheap "expander" that adds four inputs to the unit's two, and powered by the signal cable similar to most of the Bose Tonematch setups. Has tons of outputs for house sound and what have you. And, to repeat, it sounds great. Every time I write about it I feel I should buy one!
I did pick up the expander too and I mount it to my mic stand so I have controls right in front of me. Where/when I can I mic the guitar and easily blend with my guitar's pickup as needed...expander is a huge bonus 👍
Old 01-18-2021, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I have the SA330X, and I also think it's a great unit which don't get the praise it deserves. Besides the two great main inputs it also has both a monitor in and an AUX in, so using an external mixer or pre-amp you get 4 channels... I have tried that method using a bass pre-amp. It also has a great bass response despite only having 4" woofers (I have the sub as well, but I don't know when I would ever need it?!?).

/Per
Old 01-18-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I surprised EAE hasn't been mentioned yet. I've never heard one, but they seem to get a lot of love here on the forum. They certainly have a cool mixer built onboard and can be had with battery power. I'd like to try one someday.
Elite Acoustic - great piece of gear - versatile, packed with features , great sound. Nothing else needed.
Same with their Stompbox unit - I run it with a QSC K8.2 active speaker

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 01-18-2021, 08:20 AM

For a guy in his 30’s, I prefer NOT to use any modern acoustic amps. They just don’t do it for me. I own just about every pre-Gibson, UK-made Trace Elliot acoustic amp in their (former) lineup. I think some of the amps date to mid-late 1980’s. It’s the only amp I’ve ever demo’d and stopped playing and said “that’s it, that’s the sound I want”. Haven’t looked back since.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Let me just throw Genzler into the discussion. I have an older Genz-Benz Shenandoa acoustic amp that I rarely use,nand Im not sure why. It sounds great for guitar and vocals, and Ive read the newer array models are even better. They are in the range of AER and H&Ks, so more than fishmans, fenders
I started with a Marshall AS50R & liked it a lot. Was playing out more back then & needed a bit more power so I went with the Genz-Benz Shenandoah 85. What a great amp for both guitar & vocals! I still have it but, as I got older, the amp got heavier. :-) Its amazing how that happens! The last time I used it regularly was when I was able to just leave it where I was playing & not hauling it back & forth all the time.

Flash forward to today. I picked up a Bugera AC60 when they were fairly new to the market & couldn't be happier. I got it because it was so light & had a headphone out so I can practice my effects & dial them in efficiently. I don't really sing through it, though, as I'm just playing guitar with a band these days & not really doing anything solo. That said, my K&K equipped guitars sound amazing through this little amp! I'm mostly using it as a monitor & running a DI to the board, but it would definitely work for a small room with no problem. When this pandemic starts winding down I may start doing some solo stuff again & can't wait to use this amp for that.

Frank

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification