The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-09-2022, 03:25 PM

I'll play acoustic blues on any acoustic I pick up.

I've played church music on a cranked tele with a wah pedal, but it was Chicago gospel, not CCM.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 08-09-2022, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I'll play acoustic blues on any acoustic I pick up.

I've played church music on a cranked tele with a wah pedal, but it was Chicago gospel, not CCM.
Hey Jeff...I gotta rockabilly version of "How Great Thou Art"...if it works?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-09-2022, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
Have you played bluegrass with anything other than a Martin (or any other brand popular with the bluegrass community) dread?

Have you played acoustic blues with anything other than a Gibson L-00?

Have you played church music with anything other than a Taylor 814?

Have you played Celtic music with anything other than a Lowden?

Have you played acoustic metal with anything other than an Ovation?
Yes - in order:
  1. Taylor 420, Ovation Custom Balladeer, Godin 5th Avenue acoustic archtop
  2. Gibson postwar script-logo L-7, Godin 5th Avenue acoustic archtop, Martin D-15S
  3. Harmony Broadway archtop, Guild F-212XL, Gibson B45-12, Martin D-45, Ovation Custom Balladeer, Guild JF30-12, Martin D-15S, Rainsong JM1000, Rainsong JM3000; '64 Gretsch 6117, Gibson LE Studio LP goldtop/P-90, Godin CW II
  4. Rainsong JM1000, Martin D-15S, Avalon A-201, Taylor LE 420e baritone
  5. No, but I had a a college bud with a killer Guild F-50R - used to do a solo version of "Purple Haze" and make that big rosewood body rumble and feed back, lost nothing in the translation to acoustic
Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
...I gotta rockabilly version of "How Great Thou Art"...
On my last long-term church gig we did a "Nashville contemporary" version, as well as a reggae version of "Refiner's Fire" that raised a few eyebrows...
Old 08-10-2022, 12:42 AM
Charter Member

If I ever play worship music it will be death metal on my rosewood strat style in Jaques basement venue.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Have you played bluegrass with anything other than a Martin (or any other brand popular with the bluegrass community) dread?

Yes, since 1998 I played a 12 fret Collings dread in all my bands.

Have you played acoustic blues with anything other than a Gibson L-00?

Never owned an l-00 despite trying to find a good one. This is where my Waterloo WL12 and my National Estralita come in.

Have you played church music with anything other than a Taylor 814?

I don't frequent such places and where I live I'm told that the only music to be heard is an ancient organ played by an equally ancient old lady.

Celtic ? please! I am a Sassenach!

Have you played acoustic metal with anything other than an Ovation?

What IS acoustic metal pray tell ? Ovation? -Oh dear no, best not.

Tell your stories

Old 08-12-2022, 03:33 AM

Quote:

Tell your stories

Started playing guitars a few years ago. My priority is song circles indoors and outdoors. Have bought just three guitars; after playing and passing on dozens at $600, then $1000, and then more. I’m satisfied and not looking.

- Fender Concert Pro: Very good red spruce and mahogany voice. After a year or so the tone became bigger and fuller. Experimental model built in the Guild custom shop with the right stuff and electric guitar style maple neck with inline tuners.

- CA Cargo: Compact comfortable practice guitar. Not loud enough for song circles. Inexpensive entree to carbon fibre bought for the usual reasons.

- RainSong dreadnaught: Effortless big dreadnaught voice. Its carbon fibre tone is dry like mahogany and a bit piano-ish. Dark copper burst paint job.

- GoldTone AC-4 tenor banjo: Polycarbonate open back 4-string tuned as Irish tenor. Loud enough, compact, lightweight, durable like carbon fibre, inexpensive.

Bluegrass other than Martin:
- In our region participants bring a wide variety of brands and sizes; about 20% Martins split 50/50 dread and 000. People talk about songs and almost never comment on guitars. One newcomer (studio sound engineer) did bring a Martin LX (!!) for a couple months until persuaded it wasn’t loud enough.

- I brought the Fender and no one said a word except to say it sounded good. I think they meant the guitar not the player.
- Brought the Cargo, and after two rounds a quiet voice from the other side said “please play louder”. I passed for the rest of the evening and the Cargo never went back.
- Brought the RainSong and got a few nods. People don’t know it’s carbon fibre and I don’t mention it.
- I bring the GoldTone when carpooling space is scarce. It’s loud enough and gets no comments.

Celtic other than Lowden:
- The Fender adds a dry crisp voice to the mix. Great on fiddle tunes.
- Didn’t bother taking the Cargo. No, nope, never. No never no no.
- The RainSong fits in well. The burst finish gets a little side eye. People don’t know it’s carbon fibre.
- The GoldTone Irish tenor banjo? Hey, Irish is Celtic. A few notice the polycarbonate and ask.

Cheers.
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany

Last edited by casualmusic; 08-12-2022 at 03:39 AM.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

…with regards to the title of the post… I once played a gig in a yarn shop…that was weird….sort of…

….with regards to genre bending instrumentation….everything I play on my Deering Solana6 nylon string banjo guitar sounds cool but quite different from what you would hear on most any other guitar…

Last edited by J Patrick; 08-12-2022 at 06:13 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion