The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-08-2022, 06:59 PM

Default ElectroHarmonix SuperEgo+ pedal

Coming up on one year ago this Sept. is the anniversary of that nasty sea witch, Hurricane Ida. Devastation in my part of NJ was so much that POTUS had AirForce One bring him to my neighborhood to inspect the tragic loss of local infrastructure, businesses and households. We were one of those households.
Why?, you may be asking, am I sharing this information when the thread title is about an effects pedal.

Well….
I was just finishing up my new music room last summer and treated myself to a few new pedals, one of which was this fancy schmancy ElectroHarmonix SuperEgo+ synth and freeze pedal. The flood came roaring in and this pedal along with the others was packed up and stored with never being tried out.

I started learning how the pedal works today and must say the complex sounds it is capable of generating surprised me. Rich, thick, melodic tones with more than a fistful of great effects, textures and sound shaping options at the twist of a knob.
But the one effect I wanted to dive deeply into first was the “freeze” function. Think David Gilmour’s guitar intro to Shine On You Crazy Diamond(just as an aside, SoYcD was Syd Barrett’s initials in the title of the song written about him)[emoji44]
There is a continuous drone behind his lead, that’s what the “freeze” function does. It generated the note you choose infinitely,as you play over it, until you change the note or stop it. TOO COOL!!!

There is so much more to learn about this box but for right now that’s all I needed.
frank d.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

I wish I could come over and try this pedal out with you, Frank. Looks fascinating!

- Glenn
Old 08-08-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I wish I could come over and try this pedal out with you, Frank. Looks fascinating!

- Glenn
Glenn, I had forgotten 95% of the things this pedal is capable of. I watched three different hands on reviews today and am still trying to wrap my head around it! Bahahaha😹😂😹
Hope this finds you well, Glenn.
fd
Old 08-12-2022, 05:03 PM

I’ve been getting a real kick out of becoming familiar with this EHX Super Ego+ pedal during the week. Aside from the infinite tone freeze aspect that the pedal is know for, the rotary speaker, chorus and adjustable octave are exceptional sounding effects in their own right. So are the tremolo and delay effects.

That being the case, I ordered an Electro Harmonix Expression Pedal to attach. Nothing fancy, just enough to speed or slow the rotary effect, thin or thicken the chorus and raise and lower the octave effect. That’s as far as I have gotten on the learning curve so far. Except for this piece of info…

The dry signal can be altered with all the effects the freeze signal gets, only completely separately. And on top of that, the dry signal has its own effects loop, if you want any of your stand alone pedals to join the fun, like a good reverb pedal. I feel so old trying to catch up with this technology, but honestly, the future is now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars