The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-31-2022, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmars View Post

For waterloo, the WL-S is a wonderful choice if you can find one
I think that Doug Macleod plays one of those.
Here it is in a very recent and AFAICT unplugged performance:
For what it’s worth, that’s a Waterloo WL-S Deluxe. I bought one secondhand (before prices went berserk) and I just noticed the other day that there’s a card in the case that says that the guitar has materials that are subject to CITES restrictions, but it doesn’t say which part. Interesting that he’s playing his in Belgium.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:51 PM

I bought my 1937 Gibson L-0 years back to get the sound etc, but it was unplayable and needed so much work from my luthier to just get it playing....I do love it, but would I do it again?

Nope, if Waterloo WL-14s were out for sale then, I wouldn't have gone through all that stress.... neck reset, new fretboard, new frets, new bridge, new nut, new saddle, new headplate, new tuners...and a long wait while it was done! And now it is like a half custom half Gibson.....

BluesKing777.
Old 08-01-2022, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
Can anybody back me up here? I just couldn't let this go without saying something because I've seen this before and I always feel the need to set the record straight and besides, I've been a BB fan for only about 50 years and want him to get the recognition that he deserves.
I can't for certain, but there's a recent Doug Macleod biography in which he tells a story about a "good right hand", in a conversation with I forget which of the bluesmen of a generation or 2 before him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
For what it’s worth, that’s a Waterloo WL-S Deluxe. I bought one secondhand (before prices went berserk) and I just noticed the other day that there’s a card in the case that says that the guitar has materials that are subject to CITES restrictions, but it doesn’t say which part. Interesting that he’s playing his in Belgium.
I know there was a problem brewing a few years back about travelling with instruments that had "off-limits" parts which could have put many (renowned) bowed instrument players in a difficult situation (because of the *old* ivory bits in their bows). I found out recently that apparently this has been resolved. Maybe nowadays it's enough to travel with that card if you're not selling the instrument (I'd expect the tour organisers to have done their due diligance). Or maybe that in practice you just sail right through customs without them even asking if "that's indeed a guitar in the case".
Old 08-01-2022, 04:28 AM

To me a 14 fret L-00 is the perfect blues machine, mine is from luthier Dave king who excels with smaller bodies instruments. New it would be over budget at £4000 but used I've seen them go for around 2k. Its an excellent and very powerful guitar with a dry, raspy biting voice and excellent bass response. it does not sound like a small guitar at all.

A used Gibson Legend L-00 is the best modern Gibson L-00 I've played (more woody and darker in tone than my L-00), could you get a used one in the US for $3000?
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 08-01-2022, 05:25 AM

The Hauver Blind Blake is an intriguing ladder braced model. There’s a video on their page of Toby Walker playing one.
http://hauverguitars.com/blind-blake/
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 08-02-2022, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

I've been on the search for something similar. For me, the ideal would be a 14 fret 00, long scale, Adi and Mahogany. They're not very available, but Martin's Tim O'Brien model has the specs and sound I'd let to get.

You might also want to consider a used Charlie Hoffman 00, or Leo Posch 00. But again, both hard to find. Contact me if you want a lead on the Hoffman (but it's not Mahogany).

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 08-02-2022, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Noticed a 00-18V for sale in the classifieds. Hard to go wrong with one....
Old 08-02-2022, 04:19 PM

My Alvaraz Yairi (see the sig) is my-tee-fine, and everything I learn in fingerpicking blues from Daddy Stovepipe on his YouTube channel, is played on it.

Parlor, spruce over rosewood, 12 fret, slot head, mine has a K&K Pure Mini inside.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 08-03-2022, 09:28 AM

Fraulini! Ladder braced
Fraulini Erma #19
Old 08-03-2022, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
There is some wisdom in this. Mississippi John Hurt was offered any guitar he wanted for free in a very well stocked guitar shop, including vintage Martins and he chose a very ordinary mid-level Guild, much to the dismay of all his young white guitar geek fans.
Until Taylor coaxed him into an endorsement deal in the 90's, the late great Piedmont fingerpicker John Cephas played an everyday Yamaha.
Old 08-03-2022, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

I think at this point I am going to wait until I can get up to Dusty Strings and play some of the Iris OG's they just got in stock, if they are still around. Unless some irresistible sweet deal comes along. A Collings 001Mh would be hard to pass up, but I'm probably not going to find one in my price range.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:11 PM

So a question for (all) the blues fingerpickers.....

If you could order a full custom acoustic to play your blues fingerpicking on, what would you spec it out as?

Just curious...

BluesKing777.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:47 AM

Everybody who has , let's say $3K to spend on a used car will certainly encounter a salesman who has just what he needs - - - for $3K. Same for guitars.

If OP can go to a dealer, start at the bottom, find one he likes, and buy it. He might well spend less than his upper limit (which he has not disclosed to the dealer).

Last edited by phavriluk; 08-04-2022 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
Apologies but I believe you have misquoted RGD. They way I understand it was someone once asked the Rev. what he thought of the playing of Arthur Phelps AKA Blind Blake and RGD replied that BB has a sportin' right thumb. This makes sense to me as BB is famous for his syncopated bass lines involving his right thumb. Can anybody back me up here? I just couldn't let this go without saying something because I've seen this before and I always feel the need to set the record straight and besides, I've been a BB fan for only about 50 years and want him to get the recognition that he deserves.
Yup. That's what I read, and I believe it was Stefan Grossman that quoted that. And Stefan spent a fair amount of time with the Rev. By the way I'm doing a Rev song called "Let's Get Together Right Down Here" tonight at a little show.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-08-2022, 07:53 PM

Let Us Get Together is a brilliant song by the good Reverend Gary Davis, one of my all time favorites of his to play!!!!

I think a Fraulini Erma is the best spec'd out blues guitar(for me, although I lean country blues). I spent years playing/researching before I finally landed mine.
-Handmade/Individual Luthier(my experience tells me its worth it during modern times)
-Small body(a 000 isn't a small body guitar)
-Wide Nut(I prefer 1-13/16" to 1-7/8")
-Bridge Spacing 2-5/16"(anything higher is a deal breaker, anything much lower is a deal breaker)
-Ladder braced(throaty, meaty, punchy, crisp trebles, loose feel, FUN to play)
-12 fret(pairs perfectly with smaller guitars)
-Adi top(can't live without the responsive attack and the tone as it the wood matures)
-Unbound Neck(for some reason, I can't stant bound necks)

Now come "preferences" but aren't "deal killers" when it comes to a blues machine, and why I love my Erma.
-Unique Back/Sides(mine is made of white oak, and sounds incredible and unique)
-Dark fingerboard/bridge(mine is cocobolo, and is sublime)
-Slotted Headstock(some say the added break angle helps tone, and I think it looks great....string changes are fine)
-Unique Pickguard(I love the look of mine)

-
Fraulini Erma #19

Last edited by johnnydobbers; 08-08-2022 at 08:29 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion