The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-19-2022, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Default New Cordoba Stage guitar

Has anyone tried one of these yet?

https://www.cordobaguitars.com/stage/
Old 07-20-2022, 08:32 PM

Tried one at Elderly instruments. Very impressed.
Old 07-21-2022, 05:12 PM

Made in China..but if that doesn't bother you it looks pretty good!
Old 07-21-2022, 06:51 PM

I was all set to go to one of my local Guitar Centers to check it out, only to find they were all purchased before I could get to any of them (I live within driving distance of 3).

I'm very curious to find out how it compares to the Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance models (of which I have one). As the Godin models cost more than 2x the Cordoba Stage, Cordoba doesn't need to win in that comparison, it just needs to be at least half as good (hopefully better than half) and it'll fill a great spot in the market.

In consideration of price range, I think the most direct competitor to the Cordoba Stage may be Yamaha's Nylon Silent Guitars (of which I also own one of those). If Cordoba's electronics don't have obnoxious high frequency noise (hiss) or obnoxiously thumping 100hz boominess, then it'll beat Yamaha in sound instantly. And if the Stage isn't painful to hold, it'll also beat the Yamaha in ergonomics instantly (the upper bout of the Yamaha cuts right into one's chest, I'd need to wear body armor for it to not hurt). I actually strapped some pipe insulation to the bout in order to help with that. It works...but is super ugly :-D

If I'm lucky and I get a chance to play one at a local GC, I'll let you all know my opinion on it vs. my Godin and my Yamaha.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:11 AM

Default New Cordoba Stage guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbliatout View Post
I was all set to go to one of my local Guitar Centers to check it out, only to find they were all purchased before I could get to any of them (I live within driving distance of 3).

I'm very curious to find out how it compares to the Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance models (of which I have one). As the Godin models cost more than 2x the Cordoba Stage, Cordoba doesn't need to win in that comparison, it just needs to be at least half as good (hopefully better than half) and it'll fill a great spot in the market.

In consideration of price range, I think the most direct competitor to the Cordoba Stage may be Yamaha's Nylon Silent Guitars (of which I also own one of those). If Cordoba's electronics don't have obnoxious high frequency noise (hiss) or obnoxiously thumping 100hz boominess, then it'll beat Yamaha in sound instantly. And if the Stage isn't painful to hold, it'll also beat the Yamaha in ergonomics instantly (the upper bout of the Yamaha cuts right into one's chest, I'd need to wear body armor for it to not hurt). I actually strapped some pipe insulation to the bout in order to help with that. It works...but is super ugly :-D

If I'm lucky and I get a chance to play one at a local GC, I'll let you all know my opinion on it vs. my Godin and my Yamaha.

I like that the Cordoba uses a real mic. So does the Yamaha NTX3 and NTX5. So does the Godin Multiac Nylon Deluxe.

The physical modeled mic of the Godin Multiac Duet Ambience sounds decent, but I much prefer a real mic, even if it isn’t perfect. You can always use an external ambience modeling effect to get the same modeling as the Duet Ambience, but a real mic has to be built in.

I have the Godin Multiac Nylon Deluxe and use it combining the real mic with a bit of external mic modeling and the sound is just beautiful. I have a Yamaha NTX3 on order, and will process it the same way.

I haven’t heard the Cordoba in person, but the YouTube demos of it sound very good. I personally would go for a guitar with a real mic blend, whichever make you choose. Real mics just add so much to the amplified sound, even when you use just a little bit.
Old 07-31-2022, 06:57 AM

I decided to try one of these and ordered it from guitar center. I am very satisfied. Really nice balanced tone and surprisingly nice presence with the bass. I did have to do modifications on the saddle. The action was high. It wasn't the slick fusion neck that I thought it would be. I did some trust rod adjustments too. Once tweeted, it plays in sounds fantastic, especially for the money.
Old 07-31-2022, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Currently sold out on Amazon and Sweetwater.
Old 07-31-2022, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

I tried one out at our local GC last week. Was VERY tempted! However, in the limited time and with the small Fishman amp they had, I can't say I heard a whole lot of difference in the tone/output when using either of the "modulation" knobs. If I didn't have a Fusion 12 already, I likely would have pulled the trigger.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:14 AM

I'm surprised there's not more buzz about these on the forum.

I'm also an Orchestra Fusion owner, but I wouldn't mind one of these hanging on my wall. I need another guitar like I need the proverbial "hole in the head".
Old 08-10-2022, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

I've owned a Cordoba Stage, Cordoba Orchestra 12-Fret Fusion, Yamaha Silent Guitar (nylon), several Godin ACS nylons, A Gibson Chet Atkins CEC and CE and a Kirk Sand Mahogany (similar designs except for the Fusion). The Sand, of course, runs circles around the others....as it should considering the price range...otherwise, all things considered, I would rank them the following:

1. Gibson Chet Atkins CE or CEC (great guitars if you can find one used in good shape)
2. Cordoba Fusion Orchestra (good playability, decent electronics, nice looking).
3. Godin ACS (very good if you play a lot in the upper registers).
4. Cordoba Stage
5. Yamaha Silent Guitar

The good news, they all represent pretty good value considering the prices in terms of playability, electronics and build quality.

Both the Cordobas and the Yamaha SLG came in but high and benefited (or would have benefitted) from slightly lower action. The Cordoba Fusion had some sharp fret edges that needed filing (not so with the Stage...they were fine).

It is hard to go wrong with any of these choices of you consider what you are paying (except that many of the Gibson Chet Atkins guitars seem overpriced). The Cordoba Fusion is, of course, a different "animal" than the other guitars in terms of the thinline design.

YouTube Site

Last edited by CCFingerstyle; 08-10-2022 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:07 PM

I was really excited about this until I discovered there is no Roland or Fishman Tripleplay option...which is the main reason I would buy one.
Old 08-15-2022, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCarlH View Post
I was really excited about this until I discovered there is no Roland or Fishman Tripleplay option...which is the main reason I would buy one.
I think that Cordoba is purposefully attempting to simplify the voicing choices of the Stage guitar.

One thing about the Godin guitars is every one of them I have played has dead or scratchy slide controls. The three rotary pots and under saddle piezo / microphone blend should eliminate that.

There are a few "reviews" on Youtube already, and the best one that demonstrates the range of voicing is probably this one, by a Cordoba endorser I believe:

Last edited by Rudy4; 08-16-2022 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:28 PM

To the OP:
Reality is that all the guitars mentioned here ARE electric guitars...with nylon strings.
So, I would look for a guitar in this class with a dual source pickup. Either undersaddle pickup and a microphone or undersaddle pickup with a sound board transducer (Baggs iMix,etc).
Any nylon string guitars with single source pickups (Sands, Gibson Chet Atkins, etc) will get blown away by a "lesser" guitar (in terms of wood selection, etc) that has a better pickup system...they are...ELECTRIC guitars!
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

Last edited by jimmy bookout; 08-16-2022 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-18-2022, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbelland View Post
Tried one at Elderly instruments. Very impressed.
Elderly instruments I have tried it too.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:33 PM

Default Cordoba stage or 'Harley Benton Nashville Nylon NT' ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
Has anyone tried one of these yet?

https://www.cordobaguitars.com/stage/
I'm going to Huber-Breese next week (9/20/22 ) to try it out.
Before I heard of the Cordoba Stage, I ordered a 'Harley Benton Custom Line Nashville Nylon NT' from Thomann with the hard shell case and shipping, it is only $358-ish, so half the price.
After reading the reviews with inconsistent quality controls, and the piezo sounding a bit 'quacky' in the low end wound strings, a real downer in my book, I'm a bit hesitant.
It will ship 10/10/22, so I have some time to cancel the purchase if the Cordoba knocks me out. ( at $700, it is a "Buy once, Cry once" "you get what you pay for" kind of situation. )

Anyone have experience with 'Harley Benton Custom Line Nashville Nylon NT'?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical