The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-15-2014, 08:40 PM

Default Question for Experts on Irish Guitar Makers

Hello you Irish guitar aficionados out there. Can you tell me if there is a high quality Irish guitar model that comes in a short scale with a 1-3/4" nut width? I love my Lowden S35 in spite of, not because of, its slightly wider nut. But for some pieces, I'm thinking about a second Irish guitar with a true 1-3/4" neck. Must be short scale (25" or a bit less).

I know Lowdens are listed at 1-3/4 on some websites, but they simply aren't. They're a bit wider than that.
2019 Taylor 522ce V-Class 12-Fret - All Mahogany
2021 Rainsong V-OM 1000-NSX - Spruce/Carbon Fiber
2008 Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue (Natural)
Old 08-15-2014, 08:46 PM

Any of the big three Belfast builders—Avalon, McIlroy, Lowden—should be able to do the sort of customization you're describing, whether it's scale length or nut width.
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 08-15-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
Any of the big three Belfast builders—Avalon, McIlroy, Lowden—should be able to do the sort of customization you're describing, whether it's scale length or nut width.
Not looking to order one custom. Looking to find the right model and buy it used.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:04 PM

I have a question.

Is there an irish tone, so to speak? I've heard a lowden and I know that tone. Big lush, lots of overtones.

I'm just wondering why your grouping these together as irish guitar builders. Do they all have similar tone?

Not trying to steal your thread- sorry
Old 08-15-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
I have a question.

Is there an irish tone, so to speak? I've heard a lowden and I know that tone. Big lush, lots of overtones.

I'm just wondering why your grouping these together as irish guitar builders. Do they all have similar tone?

I've never played a McIlroy or an Avalon, but yes, from everything I've read - and from sound samples I've listened to - there are similarities in their sound. Certainly these three guitars would be closer in tone to each other than to other makers like Martin and Taylor. From what I understand, McIlroy and the guys who started Avalon worked for George Lowden before they went out on their own.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
I have a question.

Recently had a chance to A/B/C these three, and, yes, I strongly believe there's a similarity. And it's to be expected, since the companies are historically connected.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:20 AM

I think most truly fine guitars reflect the interaction of the builder and the music and musicians of their country/region. You see similarities in the Irish makers and they tend to be quite different to the approach of the American builders. In very general terms, the "American" sound tends to be punchy, focused, and more fundamental while the "Irish" sound tend to be bigger, more lush. On a physical level, The Irish guitars seem to be more sensitive and tend to have great sustain but don't provide that "sub-sonic" bass of American designs.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:44 PM

Gary,

I've owned three Irish Lowdens, and I agree with what you have to say about the "oversize" 1 3/4" nut. I had the problem on a 2010 F model and also on a 1998 F model which also had a thick neck. But, the Lowden I have kept is an 1990 F-22 model which has only about a 1 11/16" nut and a lovely thinner neck. It was by far the best sounding Lowden of the bunch or of any others I have tried. Who knew?

So, my suggestion is to look for an older Lowden with the smaller nut. They are wonderful instruments that won't break the bank! Secret is now out.

Sorry that won't solve the scale issue since it also has a longer scale.

Hope this helps.

John
Old 08-16-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
Agreed. All do 25.5 as standard, but will do almost anything you ask for.

As to the OP's comment on nut width, you may find Avalon and McIlroy nut width generally feels a tad narrower, due to the neck profile - unless you go for an Avalon D300A, which is a real vintage style handful.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:52 PM

Default Irish Builders

Check out Chris Larkin.
http://www.chrislarkinguitars.com/
I have one of his all mahogany accoustics short scale ... great neck beautiful work.
Bill
Woolson LG
Woolson OM (Special Bracing/Double Top)
Bashkin SJ-12
Baranik Retreux Parlor
H&D 00-SP Cedar
John Kinnaird Hi-Strung Guitar
Old 10-25-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary-N-LA View Post
Hello you Irish guitar aficionados out there. Can you tell me if there is a high quality Irish guitar model that comes in a short scale with a 1-3/4" nut width? I love my Lowden S35 in spite of, not because of, its slightly wider nut. But for some pieces, I'm thinking about a second Irish guitar with a true 1-3/4" neck. Must be short scale (25" or a bit less).

I know Lowdens are listed at 1-3/4 on some websites, but they simply aren't. They're a bit wider than that.
I do know Lowden S-Series guitar are now (white label) being built with a shorter scale than the original design, from 1992. I am not certain how much difference there is in the scale length.

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 10-25-2014, 12:43 PM

David White makes a Lowden sounding guitar for a lot less.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
avalon lowden mcilroy, irish, lowden, nut width