The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-18-2017, 11:36 AM

Default Für Elise - Beethoven

I like the melody but I never thought much about playing it. Then I did and have to say it's got to be one of the easiest pieces an aspiring finger picker could learn. You do not need a tab.

E, Am, C, G

He must have had several of these shorts to occupy his mind while playing and eating a PBJ. I think the title might have originally been "Calling for Elise to Bring Another Glass of Wine", and he played it repeatedly until she did.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:14 PM

Yes, I love it! I learned a fairly simple arrangement from an online source. Can't decide if I enjoy playing it more with nylon, or steel strings. Try it on the piano, there's something about this piece!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:08 PM

It's to the guitar as Chop Sticks is to the piano, if that isn't too insensitive a remark to make.

The thing with Für Elise is that the basic melody compels you to embellish it and the next thing you know you find yourself doing exactly that, almost involuntarily.

I play a classical guitar exclusively now. The steel string guitar can be used if not for the metallic sound of the string decay lingering atop succeeding notes. Für Elise does not have a tradition of that dynamic and, IMO, would not sound right. Deft use of the damper pedal on the piano is required to play it (correctly, IMO). On steel string guitar that would require equally deft use of palm muting. Nylon strings sound quite natural in the melody.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:47 AM

I'm curious as to how this performance by FreddeGredde would be rated. I would say it requires intermediate-advanced ability:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9BU...yer_detailpage
Old 04-29-2017, 09:51 AM

Default 12th fret

I'm beginning to work my way through it beginning with E at the 12th fret and finding most of the notes on the B, G and D strings. Quite a lovely tone up there.

My plan is to take the notes from first position and transpose them.

Just starting but sounds very nice so far.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write