The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-21-2012, 08:40 PM

Default Custom electric - Canadian builder

A chap i know i know in Canada is looking for a custom electric/acoustic hybrid guitar, he needs to keep the budget to $2500 or less and says the only luthier he can find that meets his spec at the price is in New York. Now that's out of the country, he hasn't tried one and will have to pay for import so i'd at least try to see if i can help him find an alternative that's in Canada so he can perhaps try some before hand. He's after a fare big of custom work within his budget but if i can at least show him some other luthiers in Canada that may be able to build a custom electric guitar for the spec and price he's after i think it will save him money and he'll not make the mistake of not trying a guitar before he buys especially when it's custom.

He's in Southern Ontario, Greater Toronto Area

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it Chuck Berry" - John Lennon

A fun thing to do at public restrooms is to wait until someone leaves, then click your stopwatch and write something down in a notebook
Old 06-22-2012, 02:19 AM

On that budget I'd be looking for a used Parker Fly or a Godin. Is this an "Acoustic Flavoured" electric (ie with a piezo) or an "electric flavoured" acoustic ie a martin with a P-90 bolted into the top...?
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Per the last post, can you dial in on what he's looking for? There are a few options in the "electric with a Piezo" option, such as the Deluxe Nashville Power Tele and Deluxe Power Strat. You can buy either at well under his budget and spend a $500 - $600 on top to customize the electronics, get custom pickups, etc., and still stay under the $2500 range. Taylor T5s are great and you can buy them new for under his budget as well. Line 6 has the Variax models that are modeling guitars that can pretty much give you any guitar sound you want, including drop tunings and customizations. Lots of options!

So, what is he looking for, more specifically?

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutley2209 View Post
A chap i know i know in Canada is looking for a custom electric/acoustic hybrid guitar
I am confused. Is he looking for an electric guitar, as in a guitar that relies on electro-magnetic pick-ups going into an amplifier to produce sound that, through processors, can be made to sound somewhat acoustic, or, an acoustic guitar that relies on air to produce sound and does not need to be amplified to be heard and enjoyed , but that can be amplified for public performance?

And, why must it be custom?

Steve

Last edited by El Conquistador; 06-22-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:27 AM

He should try and go to the Montreal Guitar Show next weekend. If I was looking to get a custom guitar made in Canada, thats where I head. Pretty much all the good builders will be there:

http://www.salondeguitaredemontreal.com/default-en.aspx

My Music (Guaranteed bagipe free!): https://soundcloud.com/derek_barlas
Old 06-22-2012, 03:23 PM

i suggested going to the show next week but he doesn't want to make a six hour trip there and back or book a hotel, so that's out. From what i know he wants a semi hollow electric guitar in the shape of a Les Paul but slight bigger, wooden pinless bridge with under-saddle pick up. But he also wants two custom wound pick up which he hass lined up to be added to it so in essence he want's to different pick up system and sounds from the same guitar. I think he want's to choose the nut width and scale length although i know he likes it short around 24.5, he'd then like to choose the woods such as have spruce for the top and i'm not sure what for the bottom. Ebony for the fingerboard and probably mahogany for the neck, other than that i'm not sure but that's the gist of it.

He's off to Uni in September so i believe this guitar will be used during his time there perhaps with his course work and also for performances, i suggested he visit Meiron Blackstien as he's not far from him http://sixstringgarage.com/ at the very least i hope visiting him will show him that it's important to have some hands on time with a luthiers work before ordering a heavily customed instrument. I'll try suggesting the Taylor T3, i personally think he should try one and explore the possibility of modifying it with someone such as Meiron who lives only about 30 mins away. But if you do have a luthier who could build something like this outlined for him from scratch that would be great, sometimes the heart can get in the way of the head so he may have himself set on getting something built from the ground up.

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it Chuck Berry" - John Lennon

A fun thing to do at public restrooms is to wait until someone leaves, then click your stopwatch and write something down in a notebook
Old 06-22-2012, 04:14 PM

The only one I can think of is Joseph Yanuziello, who does lovely electrics, but they're probably too much.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

He'd be better off with a Taylor T5, but there is a shorter scale Music Man guitar that might work for him too, as a base from which he can customize.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-28-2012, 03:00 PM

Default New to the board

I'm brand new to the board, and this post caught my eye. I am a custom builder in B.C, you can check out my stuff online at

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/egancustomguitars

New website is coming, facebook for the time being.

Joe

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop