The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2020, 10:20 AM

Default Guitar Experts Please

Okay. I thought I was the guitar dude. I know guitars. However, a friend's daughter contacted me and wants to buy a $300 guitar for her husband and wants suggestions on what to look at - and that's outside of my expertise. She's not in this part of the country so I can't go to a store with her. Okay gurus, what suggestions in a OM/000 or dread do you like at that price point? I will obviously suggest Yamaha. Any suggestions for a Yamaha to recommend at/around that price?
Old 04-01-2020, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Okay. I thought I was the guitar dude. I know guitars. However, a friend's daughter contacted me and wants to buy a $300 guitar for her husband and wants suggestions on what to look at - and that's outside of my expertise. She's not in this part of the country so I can't go to a store with her. Okay gurus, what suggestions in a OM/000 or dread do you like at that price point? I will obviously suggest Yamaha. Any suggestions for a Yamaha to recommend at/around that price?
Fs800 is $200 and killer for that price. The new Storia series are similar, but some more options and have a pickup.

Eastman PCH is contender at that price point. Very nice guitars.

Recording King makes some amazing stuff in and around that price point in OM sizes.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:35 AM

Your instinct of a Yamaha seems spot-on, though I'd suggest a used one at that price point. You may be able to help them via Reverb or a WTB ad on AGF. Eastman may also be an option in that range.

One non-obvious idea to consider - Voyage Air VAOM-4. Used ones periodically show up on AGF classifieds for $500-ish but a few recent sales listed closer to the $400 and under mark. Perhaps one could be had for $300, or if budget could stretch a bit, a deal could work. I owned one and was super impressed by the tone - it's first and foremost a great guitar, with side-benefit of portability. (if it were short scale, I'd still have it).

Hope that helps!
Old 04-01-2020, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Yamaha, Washburn and Alvarez.

I'm not a guitar expert though

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-01-2020, 11:16 AM

I’d get the FS820 or FS830 just because it’s guaranteed to have a rosewood fretboard and bridge. New production 800’s are now shipping with walnut fretboards and bridges. I’ll take the rosewood over walnut every time.

The FS820 that I have is an amazing guitar. It has a lot of sound and plays nice. It was practically set up perfect when I received it.

If you get to try the guitars in person, be sure to check out the FS830. Even though it’s $19 over budget, it is sure to please. I’d offer $300, and I bet you’d walk out with it.

Good luck.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:30 AM

Thanks all. I'll speak with her later and find out if used is okay. I don't know here total desires for this gift for her husband. She's a health-care professional so her job is set but the husband is a personal trainer who is not working. I'm sure that is part of the budget for now. I'm sure she can do $100 more if necessary.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:30 AM

Oh, and the corresponding FG series (dread) has the same materials and pricing as the FS series.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Recording King makes some amazing stuff in and around that price point in OM sizes.
Recording King RO-10
Ibanez AC240

Folks always say Yamaha.
Sure, ok, if you got pencil thin fingers...
Old 04-01-2020, 11:40 AM

Takamine makes some great guitars for 300!
Old 04-01-2020, 11:42 AM

I'll add a vote for Yamaha — either a FG800 for a no-frills warm mahogany-ish tone or the slightly more fancy-looking FG830 for a bit more of the rosewood depth and sparkle.

I'll bet either could be had for 10-15% off list price, which is already a very good deal for these guitars.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:49 AM

I'd vote for a bundle from Kraft (no affiliation) Music that includes a hardshell case and an FG800 Yamaha.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:54 AM

I'd add a used Seagull S6 to that list. Easy to find in that price range, and really good guitars.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:59 AM

Guitar experts?? You're in the wrong place.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

The Breedlove Discovery Concert... they make a bunch of different models; natural, shade top, mahogany top... available in Dreadnought, Concert (OOO), Concertina (OO), Concerto (OOOO).

Solid top and laminate mahogany b/s, with a gig bag, $299 at my little store here in Corvallis.

Really nice "starter" guitars. Some may need set-up tweaking but many are wonderful, straight out of the box! They sound MUCH better than anything I've heard at that price point, but they can vary from guitar to guitar, so I'd tell her to play a few and pick the one that "speaks" to her...

For some reason, the Discovery Concerts sound a LOT better to me than the Discovery Concert CE (cutaway w/ Baggs electronics)...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 04-01-2020, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

There a several nice options in her price range and I have my favorites. But if I was going to advise someone on a long distance purchase I’d go with Alvarez. Great guitars and a lot of bang for the buck.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion