The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-27-2020, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Step Inside This House (Lyle Lovett) by Guy Clark

This is my cover of Lyle Lovett's version of this song from the 1998 CD album of the same name. I haven't put up any songs lately because I have been fighting some kind of virus for the last 4 weeks, but now I can finally sing barely well enough to put up another song. Thanks for listening -- I hope you like this! Guy Clark apparently never recorded this song, but Lyle Lovett does it a lot.

The acoustic guitar is my 1967 Martin D-35 given to me by my father way back in time. It's probably been across the USA 4 or 5 times, I guess.

Capoed up on the 8th fret is where Lyle Lovett plays this song, and where I played it here. It makes for a very sweet sound...

The photo shown during the first verse is a Picasso on display at the Art Institute of Chicago. A print of that picture is hanging on my wall in my studio. The house shown in the background is from a water color painting my wife did for her mother about 40 years ago; it's the house my mother-in-law moved into when she moved out to Washington to live near us in the late 1970s.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 03-27-2020 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:56 PM

Well Glenn, no comment I can make would do it justice. Brilliant!.
I've never heard this song before, but it is charming to listen to.Well done. I remain a fan.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Very nice, Glenn Glad to have you back!
Old 03-27-2020, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1 View Post
Well Glenn, no comment I can make would do it justice. Brilliant!.
I've never heard this song before, but it is charming to listen to.Well done. I remain a fan.
How Richard!

Thanks so much for taking a listen to a song you don't know! I'm glad you thought this came out well!

I loved this song from the first time I heard it, and that is not really very long ago! I love the innocence of the song!

- Glenn
Old 03-27-2020, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Very nice, Glenn Glad to have you back!
Thank you Bob!

Thanks for taking a listen and thanks always for your supportive comments! I am glad to be back, too, though I am not completely over this thing. But every day I am a little better.

You stay safe out there Bob!

- Glenn
Old 03-27-2020, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Really a good song, Glenn! Glad you are enjoying that double cd set; lots of great tunes on there...

Glad to see you playing and singing! Be well and stay healthy...

(Oh - I'm pretty sure you meant a 1973 Martin, not a '37! Don't think they made the 35 until the later 60's? Besides, you're not THAT old... not yet!)

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 03-27-2020, 09:14 PM

Very nice!
#2 Pencil
Various Scraps of Paper
Old 03-27-2020, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Really a good song, Glenn! Glad you are enjoying that double cd set; lots of great tunes on there...

Glad to see you playing and singing! Be well and stay healthy...

(Oh - I'm pretty sure you meant a 1973 Martin, not a '37! Don't think they made the 35 until the later 60's? Besides, you're not THAT old... not yet!)
Hi JSeth!

First, I am sorry about the 1937 D-35. I corrected that in my original post. It is a 1967 D-35. Geez! What a dumb mistake!!!

And thank you for the comments on the song performance! I think it's really a good song, too, so I am very pleased that you like what I did with it! I am enjoying that double CD set from Lyle Lovett -- it's fantastic!

I am feeling better, too. Thanks for the good wishes! You stay well, too!

- Glenn
Old 03-27-2020, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshoulder View Post
Very nice!
Thank you Slopeshoulder!

I'm so pleased that you like this! Thanks for taking the time to comment! Stay well out there!

- Glenn
Old 03-28-2020, 10:04 AM

I’m so happy to see you posted, Willow! Under the weather for quite a while you were, and your voice sounds great none the less. So happy to see you back on Show&Tell. My day is complete.
All the best,
frankie
Old 03-28-2020, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
I’m so happy to see you posted, Willow! Under the weather for quite a while you were, and your voice sounds great none the less. So happy to see you back on Show&Tell. My day is complete.
All the best,
frankie
Thank you so much Frank!

It's great to hear from you! Thank you for your supportive and kind thoughts and comments!

I hope you are doing well on the other side of the country! What a crazy time we are living in! You take care Frank! I will, too!

All the best to you!
Glenn
Old 03-28-2020, 11:48 AM

Thanks for posting this one, Glenn. Good to see you back.

This is in my top 10 favorite songs of the folk genre. The lyrics are wonderful. You’re right, Guy never recorded it...never liked it I’ve heard. Once Lyle did it I’m guessing Guy started to like it more. I’ve sung and recorded it a number of times. Audiences really like the message.

Great job, and continue to take care of yourself (and yours).
Roger
Old 03-28-2020, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Great job on one of my favorite Guy Clark songs. Thanks, and I'm glad you are feeling better!
Old 03-28-2020, 03:32 PM

I don't get around to listening to everything folks put up here. I'm working on music for much of the day many days. My ears are busy or then they want to take a rest.

I don't think I've missed one you've done though, and then I'll have to say that I didn't get time to leave a comment often recently. I've felt that just saying "Good" wasn't adding any value.

I have fond memories of the Lovett album that took it's title from this song, and I admire the tasteful job you did with the more complicated arrangement here. Has anyone asked you about that Eastman that flashes on screen for a moment yet?

____
Oops, I mean Eastwood. Mandolin tuning?

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 03-28-2020 at 08:40 PM. Reason: fat finger, slow mind
Old 03-28-2020, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Thanks for posting this one, Glenn. Good to see you back.

This is in my top 10 favorite songs of the folk genre. The lyrics are wonderful. You’re right, Guy never recorded it...never liked it I’ve heard. Once Lyle did it I’m guessing Guy started to like it more. I’ve sung and recorded it a number of times. Audiences really like the message.

Great job, and continue to take care of yourself (and yours).
Roger
Hi Roger!

Thanks for your thoughts and comments! This has become one of my favorites from this genre, also. I am really not quite sure why I like this so much, but I do. Structurally, it's quite simple, but it's melodic, and the words suggest such a guileless and gentle soul at the heart of the song.

I have to believe that Guy Clark really appreciated what Lyle Lovett was able to do with this song.

We are doing okay, Roger, slowly recovering from whatever this is. I hope you and your family are all doing well, too!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell