The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2020, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricketts View Post
Not having the chance to play or hear a Lowden live (particularly the F-25), I have been watching way too many You Tube videos. I am on one hand blown away by the deep resonant tone on most of the recordings, but yet on the other hand, some sound like rubber bands. I don't understand the wide variety of the tonal spectrum. Is it all in the recording technology?
This is not to "dis" Lowdens in any way - to the contrary. I have been seriously considering purchasing an F-25 or F-23 based upon what I've heard on You Tube and read on line. Only reservation is the occasional poor sounding video. It's a large amount of $$ to spend. Only have one guitar: Martin 000-16Sgt and think a RW/Cedar would be a nice addition, especially with lower tunings.
Lowden owners: Your thoughts?
Thank You.
I know Lowdens are said to excel at alternate tunings. Strangely, tuning my 032c down to open G or D created exactly the "rubber band" effect described by the OP. I was quite surprised by this.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 04-01-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedartop52 View Post
People react differently to the unique Lowden tone even when hearing it in person.
+1
To the OP, I'd suggest you play a few Lowdens before buying. They do have that "Irish" sound. I grab mine when I'm after that sound, but play it less than my "American" guitars. But others on this forum treat them no differently. Overall, Lowdens are very expressive/responsive guitars.

Oddly enough, my Lowden doesn't sound that great when tuned down to DADGAD or open D. Not sure exactly what you mean by the "rubber band" effect, but perhaps it's a reasonable description.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:33 AM

You really do need to play them. I tried 3 before 'the one' hit me-- an S-35M.
The spruce tops were too bright for me (strangely enough my ears can't tolerate spruce tops on Taylors either).

Last edited by palsed; 04-01-2020 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:27 PM

Love my Lowdens!

Another reason to make sure you play some is the neck - mine have a lot more wood than a modern Martin type guitar!

Here is the one of Lowdens that was perhaps the start of it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b23L99oBt_Q

BluesKing777.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Ricketts -

If you're ever in the Richmond, VA area, let me know. Happy to let you take my F-25 for a ride, in a socially distant way, of course. Thermometers will likely be involved and probably a local craft beer or two.

Austin
Old 04-01-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsed View Post
The spruce tops were too bring for me
Huh? Too bring?
Old 04-01-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post

Here is the one of Lowdens that was perhaps the start of it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b23L99oBt_Q

BluesKing777.
Wow! That was amazing. I've seen him play in other vids, but that one was really incredible. That guy, probably more so than any other player, just wouln't be the same on another make. His sounds a lot like my O25c, except mine must be much more difficult to play because I never sound anything like that when I play it.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

He is a Lowden artist, has a model dedicated to him. Also plays only in DADGAD
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 04-02-2020, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Lowdens sound like Lowdens. I don't think any other guitar maker has their own tone quite like Lowden.
However, there's a lot of tone difference between the different models.https://youtu.be/GnldbiOwsu0

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion