The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2020, 06:03 PM

Default Gibson Experts

Since 2000, which J-45 is the best?
I've heard so many details that its overwhelming: hide glue, thermally aged, banner logo, button vs grover, thin film, Wildwood (???), Montana, Custom, Vintage, True Vintage, New Vintage, Ultimate...UGHHH!

And yes...I know the "best one is the one you like best," or, "it's an issue of personal taste."
Humor me, please. If there is a strong opinion from everyone it will help me zero in.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:09 PM

You won't want to hear this, but they all have the potential to be the best. Don't be fixated on a year. If possible, try one and see if it speaks to you. Personally I think they are all great. Mine was a 2002 bought sight unseen. It's the guitar I have owned the longest and will never sell.

Don't listen to those who say Gibsons are inconsistent. They are no better or worse than another major guitar maker.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:41 PM

I'll answer your question - I say the "Vintage" because I like the tone, responsiveness and loudness of their baked tops.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:47 PM
Guest 2223

Just like any other brand the only way to get the best one is to play as many as you can. Some standard J45s can sound better than the Vintage model. I’ve had good luck with the True Vintage models, never played one I didn’t like. Currently I have a red spruce topped standard and it is amazing. Play what you can if you can, otherwise I would say look at the vintages or red spruce topped models.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRU View Post
Since 2000, which J-45 is the best?
I've heard so many details that its overwhelming: hide glue, thermally aged, banner logo, button vs grover, thin film, Wildwood (???), Montana, Custom, Vintage, True Vintage, New Vintage, Ultimate...UGHHH!

And yes...I know the "best one is the one you like best," or, "it's an issue of personal taste."
Humor me, please. If there is a strong opinion from everyone it will help me zero in.
Q: If one particular J 45 model is the best, why do they make all the others?

A: Because "the best" is an issue of personal taste.

Sorry, but it's true.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:45 PM

Play as many as you can when the state of the world has stabilized and allows for public outings again.

I never thought much of the J45 Koa hanging on my favorite shop's wall for years until I played it... then it was mine a few weeks later. I much preferred it to other custom shop J45s costing almost twice as much. You can't always predict how much you'll like a guitar by specs or cost.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

I love the TV models with tight adi grain in the center. And graduating wider to the outside of the top. The Honduran Mahogany is very good. I have had 3 and I will not sell the last one I purchased.

Another great Gibson is the J 45 rosewood. Get a rippled sitka top (tons of silking). They are a bit heavy, a full pound more than my True Vintage.

If you can swing it. The 1958-1961 - early J 200's and Hummingbirds, can be the pinnacle of rhythm sound.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:21 PM

You might want to check out the new Gibson Custom Shop Historic Series displayed at NAMM 2020.

https://www.gibson.com/Guitars/Colle...-shop-historic

The attention to detail is quite stunning ... right down to period correct hard cases.
I have a 1957 SJ-200 in Vintage Sunburst on order from this new series.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 04-01-2020 at 09:27 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion