The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2020, 06:10 PM

Default How To Disinfect an Instrument

Sent to me from the Larrivee mailing list:
How to Disinfect Musical Instruments During Covid-19

Good info to know, although I'm not letting my guitar go out of the house, no matter how much it whinges...
Old 04-02-2020, 07:26 AM

Ive always used lighter fluid to clean instruments and I think that it would work to disinfect a guitar also. None of the ideas presented are acceptable to me.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:38 AM

Torrefy it.
Martin: D-41 Reimagined (2019), 000-15SM (2018), OM-28 VTS Custom (2016), D-18 Golden Era (2014)
Taylor: K24ce Builder’s Edition (2020), K14c Cedar (1999)
Yamaha: CSF3M Parlor (2019)
Old 04-02-2020, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Ive always used lighter fluid to clean instruments and I think that it would work to disinfect a guitar also...
I've used naphtha to remove a little schmutz left from a pickguard but an entire guitar? Maybe that's what Jimi was doing and got carried away...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I've used naphtha to remove a little schmutz left from a pickguard but an entire guitar? Maybe that's what Jimi was doing and got carried away...
Mmmm. S'mores.

David
Old 04-02-2020, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

How 'bout just washing your hands really good before touching the guitar?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-02-2020, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Mmmm. S'mores.

David
I think that meant something different to Jimi as in "I got the flames going; bring me s'more guitars."
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-02-2020, 10:50 PM

I didn’t feel like the question of how to disinfect a guitar was actually answered...it was more of what not to do.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:39 PM

It’s not a joke anymore if you buy a guitar and have it shipped the strings would be of concern as well As the fret board and finish. Then you have the outside box and packing tr sling from point to point and being handled by many. Then you need to speak to the delivery driver and sign his pad! As one who got infected at Wintergrass, It’s no joke! A guitar neck that has been handled by a Sick person can infect you and the virus can live on a surface for a long time, and you wouldn’t know it fo 14 days!!
Old 04-03-2020, 07:28 AM

Shockfinder, I think the replies above about about Naptha (lighter fluid in California) answered the question. I wouldnt put alcohol or peroxide or soap and water on it. I think a petroleum product is the answer.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:34 AM

I can't recommend an actual disinfectant, but if you're using anything involving lighter fluid or even alcohol on your guitar's finish, I would immediately follow that up with a good automotive detail spray and wax, otherwise you'll risk the finish drying out/cracking.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
It’s not a joke anymore if you buy a guitar and have it shipped the strings would be of concern as well As the fret board and finish. Then you have the outside box and packing tr sling from point to point and being handled by many. Then you need to speak to the delivery driver and sign his pad! As one who got infected at Wintergrass, It’s no joke! A guitar neck that has been handled by a Sick person can infect you and the virus can live on a surface for a long time, and you wouldn’t know it fo 14 days!!
Sorry to hear that you caught the bug. Sounds like you made a recovery at this point, which I am happy to hear. I hope that the rest of your family is ok. I had wondered about that, as Wintergrass was happening at the same time that the first major US outbreak was occurring only a few miles away in Kirkland. I was there as well, all 4 days.

If I go out into the world, when I come back I take care to disinfect me well. The clothes come off at the door. I wash well. Otherwise great care is taken with anything that come into the "clean zone."

If I received a guitar, I would not attempt to disinfect it directly, but would unbox it outside, then wipe down the case with alcohol-based cleaner, then put the guitar case in the back room, open it to the air, and let nature take it's course. Let it sit for a week and play something else while any virus on it dies. Yes, I understand the desire to play with the new toy, but these are not normal times. Easy enough to temper that impulse when the alternative is possible death, or in killing someone whom you love.

OMMV
Old 04-03-2020, 11:29 AM

I agree 100%! Nothing to make light of. A doctor we talked to when there said if she ever saw the perfect place for a virus to circulate that was it, all those people in close quarters and small rooms etc. Glad to hear you made it home without issue, the person I traveled with got very ill as well.....
Old 04-03-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
How 'bout just washing your hands really good before touching the guitar?
It's the (during and) AFTER you touch the guitar that people should be concerned about. I've also noticed that it's really much harder to not touch your face once you've been made aware of how many times you do it every day.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:02 PM

So, as the OP, it seems that there's not much consensus that this article is giving good advice? Fortunately it really isn't an issue for me, but reading the above posts, it clearly is an issue, one specific to us wood instrument players.

Imagine if we played wind instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion