The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-25-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I missed that part in the dialog. No, it's not good to glue to nitro or any finish. Having said that however there are some very well accomplished luthiers that actually use CA to glue the bridge to UV cured poly finishes. IT seems to work quite well but it's not anything I would ever do.

For standard glues used in guitar making, Titebond, Fish, Hot hide, or AR glues, wood to wood contact is best.
Wood to wood is right what we have done
Old 03-26-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eso612 View Post
Of course they are not really 1/2 inch, but it gives well the idea

About the bridge is not always so. I was expecting to find the finish under the bridge when I removed it, but no, in this case under the bridge the top was not finished. I was surprised too
Recording King must have changed there ways then. Shucks too! Because I made a lot of money repairing those
Old 03-26-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eso612 View Post
Maybe my english is not clear enough but I didn't mean my luthier glued the bridge over the nitro finish. At all.
I said he took the shape of the bridge to cover the part on the top where the bridge have to be placed. Then he put the new nitro finish (but not in the bridge area). And at the end he glued the bridge. In this way the work is very clean. Otherwise you see the junction between the bridge and the nitro.
I hope this way is more clear.
I misunderstood this:
No it was not possible to play before applying the nitro because it was done before reglueing the bridge. The luthier told me that to get the better result in term of looking, it was better to take the shape of the bridge and cover the top. Then put the nitro. And then glue the bridge. And he was right, it is perfect like a new guitar.
Sorry about that! Might be MY English that needs work.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Recording King must have changed there ways then. Shucks too! Because I made a lot of money repairing those
He bought it "used" and a prior owner may have had the bridge re-glued properly with the finish removed. I know that was the case with mine.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
He bought it "used" and a prior owner may have had the bridge re-glued properly with the finish removed. I know that was the case with mine.
Good point.

I always tell people who come in to the shop with lifted bridges that they are lucky because now it will be done right.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair