The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-24-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I find that sadly, too many people have no manners anymore in this day and age.
And to me that is the essence of much of our societal problems. Individual freedom of expression has trumped collective manners. What I hate is being placed in the position of being the [insert favorite personal insult descriptor here] when I’m following the rules.

There’s a lot of angry people out there. The media doesn’t help.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread....
Old 06-24-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
And to me that is the essence of much of our societal problems. Individual freedom of expression has trumped collective manners. What I hate is being placed in the position of being the [insert favorite personal insult descriptor here] when I’m following the rules.

There’s a lot of angry people out there. The media doesn’t help.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread....
Ha! Now that I said that, onto my original reply.

This is not a young/old issue, an acoustic/electric issue, or just a GC/SA issue.

I visited a famous guitar factory in PA once for their highly touted tour (which was outstanding) and was really looking forward to visiting the well known “try it out room” which was known to have a wide variety of models you could sit and strum.

There must have been 6 old guys in there (I’m an old guy), clearly locals, who were pretty much having a hootenanny unto themselves. It was kind of ridiculous. I waited more than a few minutes thinking they’d get the hint...and they didn’t.

When did we get so selfish as to be totally unaware of others?
Old 06-24-2018, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Well actually the problem has been with humanity since we stood upright.
The question is,,,,, has it become more proportionately significant ? Or does it simply appear more evident because of there being more people ?

Arguably if it has become increased proportionately , it may be a function of the manifestation of a population numbers based "Rats in cage" type syndrome

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-24-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Ha! Now that I said that, onto my original reply.

This is not a young/old issue, an acoustic/electric issue, or just a GC/SA issue.

I visited a famous guitar factory in PA once for their highly touted tour (which was outstanding) and was really looking forward to visiting the well known “try it out room” which was known to have a wide variety of models you could sit and strum.

There must have been 6 old guys in there (I’m an old guy), clearly locals, who were pretty much having a hootenanny unto themselves. It was kind of ridiculous. I waited more than a few minutes thinking they’d get the hint...and they didn’t.

I never go to GC anymore but I was there yesterday as my wife was at the store next door.

As soon as I entered, I saw two gentlemen in the main electric guitar/amp section. One looked like he was in his 50s playing twangy country music. The other looked to be in his mid 30s playing metal riffs on a Line 6 amp. They seemed to be demoing amps but both were so loud. It almost looked like they were annoyed at each other for being louder than necessary.

Inside the acoustic room, there were two Spanish speaking guys. One looked to be in his 50s while the other one was in his mid 20s. They were both talking, playing and SINGING loudly. I didn’t even bother picking up anything. I saw 3 other guys entering and leaving the room in less than a minute because the performers only got louder each time someone entered the room. None of these other guys bothered to pick up a guitar either.

I left and went to World Market instead.

I don’t think it’s an age thing but it is definitely a GC thing. Guitar Circus.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:41 AM

Default daily

I had a stretch where I visited a CG daily, to unwind after visiting a relative in a nearby hospital. They always welcomed me, and I got some good stories out of it. I was really just there to relax, so would have been hard to offend me.

One time I was in the acoustic room. This kid had an acoustic guitar plugged into some acoustic low end amp. I've never heard anything so bad- not the playing but the settings, just awful. Played for a few minutes, stopped and the kids friend said "that sounds better..."

What were they playing before?

I like GC, and am not sure how the could improve their business model. The problem is the corporate end, all the debt crushing it.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:31 PM

and, get off of my lawn!

if you really wanted to, you could have gone in, grabbed a guitar and started playing it. they MAY have got the hint that the room is not private for them.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-27-2018, 03:40 PM

I had a somewhat similar experience at a local music store. I went there with an instrument, mic, mic stand and cables to test drive a Roland Street EX. I needed to know if it would work with my gear. I had already checked with the store mgr. I set everything up (it was located in the room they have for acoustic guitars, 'ukes, etc. - basic Taylors, Gibsons, and assorted low to mid stuff). I planned to run through some fast paced BG stuff with vocals, a slower finger style slack key tune and a mid-tempo song with vocals. About 10 minutes worth total. A few people came in and got excited about trying out the rig. None of them had a clue how to play my 10 string mandocello (not that I would let them anyway) but there are always those that just can't resist singing into a mic. I explained "everything but this amp here is my own personal gear and its not for sale or rent. I do not work at this store." Well they were kinda butt-hurt about no karaoke session but I just packed up. I ended up not buying the amp - it just didn't have the features I was after for the money.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:07 PM

Doesn’t GC have a 45 day money back return? I figure you audition it at home.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic