The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-15-2013, 03:57 PM

Default Riff vs Lick

What is the difference between a riff and a lick?

Kate Wolf

Epiphone Hummingbird Studio
Martin 000-10e
Old 09-15-2013, 04:12 PM

I always think of a riff as being a rhythm guitar part, and a lick as a bit of a lead. Riffs tend to be repetitive, licks need not be.

Licks can be iconic and integral to a song (johnny b. Goode), but they can also be improvised and different each time a song is played (BB King playing between vocal phrases)...a riff is almost always more integral to the song...(think "satisfaction."l

At least that's how I see it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinhead View Post
What is the difference between a riff and a lick?
Hi MF...

Not sure there is a definition. Whether someone says "I want to learn that lick played in the intro to 'Dust In The Wind…' or "I want to learn that riff to 'Dust In The Wind…" or "Can you teach me to play 'Dust In The Wind…' (substitute 'Stairway to Heaven…', 'Wonderful Tonight…', 'Blackbird…' or your favorite) we all know what we are talking about.

I like the fact Jeff has separated distilled them for his use…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-16-2013, 06:21 AM

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...46&postcount=3
Old 09-16-2013, 07:08 AM

What they said ^ (But hey, here's my $0.02 anyway...)

Riffs are quite easy to spot, as they are usually simple, rhythmic and repetitive - a distinctive part of the composition, especially in classic rock.
The belong to the song.

Licks are usually longer phrases, not repeated, and tend to belong to a player - common kinds of phrases that you hear a soloist play fairly often. They might use similar licks in different songs. Good licks have a strong melodic appeal, like hooks that stand out in a solo, and will be stolen by other players. In jazz, most musicians can spot a "Charlie Parker lick", whoever is playing it. In rock, most of us can probably spot a "Chuck Berry lick" - most of his intros are more like licks than riffs.
IOW, a lick CAN sometimes be integral to a song, as jeff says, but it's rare.

Riffs are commonly played in unison by more than one instrument (guitars and bass, horn sections, etc). Licks, generally speaking, are played by just one instrument.

As Larry says, there can be an overlap. If a lick is short, and gets repeated, it turns into a riff. If a riff gets extended and embellished into a solo phrase, it could turn into a lick (depending on how memorable it becomes).
Intros such as those Larry mentions are not exactly riffs or licks, IMO - but then what else would we call them? They are certainly distinctive patterns that belong to the song, that practically identify the song.
I'd call the lead intro to Wonderful Tonight a "motif", although that's obviously not a very rock'n'roll term.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motif_(music)

The classical term for what most rock and jazz musicians call a "riff" is "ostinato":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riff#Riff

IMO, wiki's definition of "lick" is not that good - see what you think:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lick_(music)
I wouldn't call the "Carter lick" illustrated a lick at all. It's a strum pattern, basically, more like a riff than anything. Opinions?
Old 09-16-2013, 04:10 PM

Lick= a string of notes that can be connected with other licks to form a phrase. A lick can be two or more notes. Licks can also be considered musical phrases. Think; call and response. Albert King and BB King use licks. A lick is also a fill phrase used between measures in a song. Licks are strung together to make a lead guitar solo.

Riff= a lick that is repeated over and over think Beatles Day Tripper or ZZ Top's Sharp Dressed Man, Tush, Legs, LaGrange, etc.

Blues

Last edited by BluesBelly; 09-17-2013 at 07:11 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write