The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-03-2013, 06:10 PM

Default My "Improvvisation"

I would like to share with you my improvvisation song! Let me know what do you think about it! https://soundcloud.com/jacopo-zippet...e-sui-primi-di
Old 09-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usop89 View Post
I would like to share with you my improvvisation song! Let me know what do you think about it! https://soundcloud.com/jacopo-zippet...e-sui-primi-di
Not for me, but then raw improvisations usually aren't.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-04-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Not for me, but then raw improvisations usually aren't.
thanks, you have been frank. I recorded an expreriment; there are many errors but I hope to be able to improve my quality! if you have some suggestions I am all ears!
Old 09-04-2013, 07:14 AM

I like it, most of it.
There's some odd notes, which are maybe not "wrong" (you'll know whether they're wrong or not ).
But mainly, lots of nice playing, plenty of good melodic ideas.

Small criticisms:
1. The melodic ideas could have been developed a little more.
2. Maybe a little too much of that heavy vibrato for my taste.
3. Most of it is at a similar dynamic level and mood. That's OK for one piece (it's not too long), but I'd hope that if you do other improvisations you work with different levels and moods.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:53 AM

I guess it depends on where you are at in your playing and what you were trying to accomplish. If you've been at this for a few decades, then I'd be expecting a bit more from you. If you're relatively new to guitar, then it's not bad. If you were just trying to hit notes you think should be hit, meh. If you were searching your brain for sounds which fit well together, well, what did you learn from this? Improv is a bit like taking a trip in your car. Having a starting point and a destination in mind before you gas up is pretty good advice most of the time.

I'd say Jon's comments are worth pursuing as you go forward. There needs to be more to keep my interest than just "improvisation". More returning to a musical line or idea which gets developed during the time you play. More work in different areas of the neck. More changes in tempo and dynamics. Really, IMO, working a pentatonic scale or a melodic line isn't that bad of an idea when you're establishing your goals at the outset of a performance.

But, if this is your first effort, then save this for future reference.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:41 AM

I hadn't a basic idea, I've just "followed" the melody in my mind, the fingers did the rest. The very important things on this "improvisation" is the open tuning in F that allows me to develop better the melody
Thanks for your comments, I'll take your suggestions!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usop89 View Post
I hadn't a basic idea, I've just "followed" the melody in my mind, the fingers did the rest. The very important things on this "improvisation" is the open tuning in F that allows me to develop better the melody
Thanks for your comments, I'll take your suggestions!
Open tunings let people be more careless in the notes they pick and
more or less get away with it. Come to think of it, it would probably
be better practice to improvise, especially scales, in standard tuning.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-04-2013, 12:35 PM

It has some interesting lines and feel. Perhaps, some rhythmic changes would make it a bit more livelier. If your piece is part of your improvisational development, you've succeeded.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:50 PM

I see that you are from Italy. I m Greek and your improvisation is definitely based on Mediterranean music. South Italy , North Africa, South Greece , West Turkey .Maybe you didn't do it on purpose but that's what it is
Old 09-04-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paikon View Post
I see that you are from Italy. I m Greek and your improvisation is definitely based on Mediterranean music. South Italy , North Africa, South Greece , West Turkey .Maybe you didn't do it on purpose but that's what it is
That's possible; In the past I heard so many different music's styles coming from all over the word, in particolary from Mediterranean tradition. The story of Italy is conditional on Mediterranean's world, and so me too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write